Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable

LeeLee
edited May 2011 in Other hi-fi gear
Evening all

Has anyone had any experiences with this speaker cable at all, seems its getting some good reviews over on Pink Fish, its priced at around £200 for a pair of 2m speaker cables which is what I would need.

Any help / comments much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Lee

Comments

• I am seriously interested/intrigued, but no experience. I'm waiting for a rich friend to go first....
    ;-)
  • I am seriously interested/intrigued, but no experience. I'm waiting for a rich friend to go first....
    ;-)
    Ditto

I spoke to the guy today at Audio Lincs, who I have spoken to several times in the past who's a real nice guy to talk too, very friendly, reckons they are exceptionally good, and well worth the punt!

I guess when the savings funds have grown again I may take a shot at a pair

Lee
  • Will these work with NVA?
  • They are very low capacitance I read.
  • They do seem to gathering a fair bit of interest on forums...... PFM, the 'Wam & now here as well. I believe they were briefly discussed on the Naim forum, but the thread was pulled, presumably as it is a non-Naim product.

I recently got some TQ Blue speaker cables to try out. I'm not one for cable swapping, or agonising over racks etc & I figured I could sell them on if I wasn't impressed or unable to hear any difference.
    Well, quite surprised, really. Previously, I was using Avondale Blacklink cable, which in itself, I preferred to the ubiquitous NACA5.
    The Blue has more detail, things which are far back/low in the mix are easier to hear, reverb & effects are easier to hear, vocals seem easier to understand. The treble is a bit sweeter & the soundstage dimension has improved.
    HiFi mag reviews seem to say that the Blue & the Green cables have a slight frequency extreme roll-off, which may partly explain why I think they work with my Focal speakers, which are quite lively.
    The Black & the Ultra-Black are reported not to have the same roll-off & so may give more high-end treble & cope with the very low bass better as well.

Its very easy to label them as emporer's new clothes, the latest fad etc & I have no knowledge of their tech-spec, construction & even how much (if any%) Tellurium is actually in the cable. However, I have to say that I am very happy & really quite surprised that just swapping speaker cable has given a good improvement.
    Matt. 
  • Matt - thanks for that. Are you contributing on PFM & t'Wam? I recognize your experience I think....

I am very interested in this stuff, I have a lot of respect for C Wonfor as a designer and a man. I also have a system that leans towards being a bit bright...Hmmmm!
  • Alan
    Yes, I'm a fairly regular poster on both forums & have said similar stuff on the respective Tellurium threads.
    If your system is a tad bright, from my (limited) experience, I'd be looking at the Blue or the Green, depending on budget. Don't get me wrong, its not going to fundamentally change the character of a system, I'd put it as more "fine tuning" rather than massive step changes.
    Matt.
  • Ah - Manicatel!

Yes, I don't think my rig is too bright, but does have a tendency that way. TBH, with my hayfever, it sometimes sounds aggressive though I know it isn't. I remain curious. Forum fads generally have their root in truth but they don't stand the test of time - these cables seem to be well liked by everyone who has tried them so far.
  • Bingo. Got me in one!
    I am/was wary of the "fad/this months wonder product" type of forum reporting on Tellurium stuff. Along with the Young DAC, it sometimes seems that is all anyone is talking about.
    Having dipped my toe in the water, I'm now a convert.
    Hey, must try that dac out as well then!
    Cheers
    Matt.
  • Talk to Keith ( @coops ) before you do anything - pm him from here for an AudioChews quote.
  • "I wouldn't be a member of a club that would have me as a member", Graucho Marks.

Is that a good enough AudioChews quote for ya? 
    X_X
  • That's great! You could put it up as a banner under the 'AudioChews' at the top of the page?

"Don't be a member of a club that would have you as a member"
  • Er, but I won't, for some reason...
  • Talk to Keith ( @coops ) before you do anything - pm him from here for an AudioChews quote.
    When the time comes, Keith will be first on the list of calls. He gave me some advice when I started along the Mac/Dac route & seems like a top bloke.
    I've just had an offer of a pristine 2nd-hand Weiss DAC2, which I've had to turn down, sadly.
    Maybe a few months more & a Young may come into budget.
    I'll happily stick with the Lavry for a while yet!
    Matt.
  • The Lavry is by all accounts quite excellent, so don't fret....anecdotally, I understand the Young has the measure of the Weiss DAC2 anyhow, so perhaps better in the long run.

That's what I heard, and I'm sticking to it! (as a proud Young owner who can't afford a Weiss!)
  • I've not heard the Green but have the other cables here.I would agree that the Blue does smooth things out a tad compared to the black but not much really.

Paul.

• I've not heard the Green but have the other cables here.I would agree that the Blue does smooth things out a tad compared to the black but not much really.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Is there much sonic difference between the Blue and the Black given the big price differential

• Hi Lee,

Its definately worth the price difference imo.

The Black was the first cable I tried from Colin.

The Blue in comparison to the black is a touch sweeter at the top and a bit softer sounding overall but similar.May well work better in lean/bright systems though.

I've just been playing around with the Ultra Blacks again this afternoon.I don't want to like them but the difference is just too hard to ignore.

Paul.

• Hi Paul

I quite fancied the Blue cable to give it a try as the outlay is quite affordable, but my dilemma is if I buy the blue and it works out for me then I would be wanting to try the Black, its just one of them things, the other is that there is no dealers at the moment for their stuff in the West Midlands. I currently have QED Xtube 400 and also on loan some Kimber 8TC and to be honest cant tell much difference between the 2.

I might try one of the dealers on their web site and see if they can lend me a 2m pair of the Blue

Best regards

Lee
  • Hi Lee,

I have sent you a message.

Paul.

• Hi Lee - what is the problem with trying the Blue & liking it? If it is a step up for you, for an "affordable outlay", then you're on to a winner. The fact that the black, and then the ultra black will always be better shouldn't dissuade you from trying something new or be any kind of dilemma! There is always something better, no matter what component you consider. Throw off the shackles of audiophile insecurity & be free....

I'll probably try the blue one day - just need to find a friendly dealer to lend / sell me a set on return.
  • Well thanks to one of the guys on here I have a pair of Tellurium Q Blue on home demo at the moment, all I can say is that these are a cracking cable.

Ive compared these to QED Xtube 400 and Kimber 8TC and must admit the TQBlue is a much better cable, in brief my findings are as follows;

Clarity - Far better, its almost like a veil has been lifted

Seperation - the space around the instruments is much more definable

Bass - Sounds much tighter

Treble - Any harshness has been significantly reduced without any treble reduction

Soundstage - As wide as its ever been, quite weird really

Micro dynamics - Hearing stuff on recordings that Ive not noticed before

Mid range - Being a guitar based listener this is heaven for me, the guitars come across much better than ever before, also vocals are projected right out from the centre of the stage almost as if they are right in front of you, again an experience Ive not encountered before.

Noise / Hiss - Noticed a reduction in hiss especially on Kind of Blue Legacy edition, at the start of So What there has always been hiss present, seems that this has reduced slightly.

All in all I can thoroughly reccomend this cable, it would cost me around £60 for a 2 metre pair which is all I need, finally if this is their starter cable then the rest must be incredible!

Very best

Lee 

• Dammit Lee - what are you trying to do to me? X_X :-D .
  • Dammit Lee - what are you trying to do to me? X_X :-D .
    But has anyone compared to the LS5 you have at the moment, Alan? (You do have LS5, don't you?)
  • So you like them then Lee .............lol.

Paul.

• So you like them then Lee .............lol.

Paul.

Oh yes, they are wonderful, the best Ive had yet
  • One thing to add, if the Blue does this to my system God knows what the black would be like for the extra 100 quid or so !
  • Best not try the Ultra Black then.......!
  • Paul have you compared them to LS1 or LS5 ? They sound like a bargain,
    Mervyn
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for the feedback, most useful.

Regards

Col 
  • edited January 2012
    I do have LS5 - and yes, it is the best I have heard by miles so far....but you might expect that, as it was designed for NVA amps. 

(For Col's benefit: LS1 = 7 individually insulated solid cores per side - silver alloy I think - ultra low cap. LS3 = 14 cores of the same, LS5 = 29 cores).

I fancy trying the blue as it is even lower capacitance than NVA I think, bit I'm not certain that capacitance is the only consideration with NVA amps. They don't like goertz or litz braid speaker cable either IIRC. The blue is pleasingly affordable though, but black is similar price to LS5.

• Paul have you compared them to LS1 or LS5 ? They sound like a bargain, Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

I havn't compared them to any NVA cables as they were sold before I got the Tellurium stuff, but have used Black on an old AP30 with excellent results.

Paul.

• Hi Alan,

Thanks for that info. It was unknown to me.

Well back to washing up.

Col
  • edited May 2011

The NVA cables are good.

Can be DIY'd but are a pain to build.

Paul.

• Hi Alan,

Thanks for that info. It was unknown to me.

Well back to washing up.

Col
    I suppose washing up is more useful than chatting about speaker cables. Possibly a little more interesting also...
    :-D
  • The NVA cables are good.

Can be DIY'd but are a pain to build.

Paul.

I should think they are a pain to build, as are the I/Cs, which I've had occasion to repair...

8-|
  • Hi Alan

No wife beats me up since heart op, she wins every time now.

I was explaining to somebody today about why I think burning in works and heating cable up also works.
    It nothing to do with the conductor but the expansion and small air gap around it left by the insulator, this reduces the dielectric constant and therefore the capacitance.I see this on a microscope the gap sizes is not constant but it there.
    What is your theory ?

Best Col
  • Hmmm...Theory. I think you give me too much credit sir, but thanks for the compliment!

Burn in - I have heard it, but do not know what it is. Often I hear of molecules being arranged or something, which seems outlandish. Which is the same thing that supposedly happens with cryo treatment, and some folk swear by that.....so I don't know.

I have often read that it is the listener adjusting to a new presentation in the system - this seems plausible, I can go with that.

Your theory seems plausible - I can go with that too.

The thing is - I am a subjective music lover/audiophile/hifinerd and I am trying hard to be self-diciplined. Nothing looks more desperate than a subjective listener trying to make pseudo scientific stabs at explaining what he may very likely hear - and this gives cause to more militant 'objectivists' to shoot him down in flames.

For this reason I am very happy to have experienced & knowledgeable folks & designers explain things to me in a generous spirit - Thanks Col!

I know not why I hear what I hear, I just know what I hear....or something.
  • I am going to receive a set of 3 meter Tellurium Q Black speaker cables next week. I currently have both Naim Naca 5 and Avondale Blacklink in use in my two systems, so I will try to compare the cables when I have the time.

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • Hi Peter, 

Great lots of detail please (excuse me).

Best

Col
  • hi all
    i am very interested in the blue, black would be over kill in my system i think, read the reviews of the cable and it looks very promising, i just visited there web site and low and behold they have a certain chap working with them who was responsible for a certain claymore amp, think i might just have to nip in to the local tellurium stockist and give some of the blue a go.
    best regards,
    matt
  • The Blue is a great cable (had a demo pair on trial), I have some on order myself along with the Black, will report back the differences once they have been in the system, hopefully the week end

Lee

• The Blue is a great cable (had a demo pair on trial), I have some on order myself along with the Black, will report back the differences once they have been in the system, hopefully the week end

Lee

That will be interesting Lee - thanks for sharing!

Lee

thanks muchly Lee, look forward to reading your thoughts and findings,
    all the best,
    matt
  • Matt,

Colin Wonfor is "Drain _Dead" on here.

Paul.

• hi Paul,

thanks,i thought i could hear a ticking sound, now i know where its coming from

;)
  • Matt,

Colin Wonfor is "Drain _Dead" on here.

Paul.

So who is @Brain_Dead then?;)
  • It feels like me! :-)
  • No sorry lads the ticking has killed mine.
  • wondering , do Tellurium offer home trial of their cables? awkward i know as it means cutting it from the reel and you cant put it back on but having bought cables in the past on recommendation and found they were not for my system it would be good to give em a try