Importing into iTunes...?

edited May 2011 in Digital
Hi.
I've recently (moreorless) completed ripping my CDs on to my TFS (as Flac files using JRiver). Everythings working and sounding lovely.
However, I'm wondering if there's a way of importing all of these ripped Flac files into iTunes...? A simple copy will work for the odd MP3 and WAV file that are for one reason or another part of the collection, but I can't see an obvious way of moving the Flac files that are sitting in the 'My Music' folder.
It's only a small issue, as I simply want to get some of the music on to my iPod, but it'd would be a very handy time saver if I don't have to re-rip the CDs again, this time using iTunes.
I would be hugely grateful if anyone could offer any pointers.
Chhers,
Ben

Comments

• Hi Ben. I don't think iTunes supports FLAC files.  You will need to use something like Media Monkey to convert FLAC to MP3 on the fly when you sync your iPod (that's what I do anyway). JRiver might be able to do this......not sure.

James
  • Righto.
    Thanks james!
    Much appreciated.
    Ben
  • edited May 2011
    James is right Ben, there isn't any FLAC support in iTunes AFAIK.

Did you do any ripping with DBPoweramp? I know Jason rates the programme, and I'm a big fan too. He even mentioned selling the TFS with a license I recall - If you do have it, there is a batch convertor on it.

Simply select the files to convert, right click & use 'convert to'. You can change the codec (to alac, aiff, wav - whatever) and change the sample depth (or is that rate?) as well. Select where you want the file to go & hit convert (it won't touch the original files).

Maybe JRiver can do this too, some of the other programmes can as well. I haven't used media monkey myself but I think it's a free programme.
  • What he said ;-)
  • Yes. Jason told me to get DBPoweamp. In fact he's told me several times. And I haven't. And I'm very naughty.
    But I will get it!
    Can I convert the flac files with DBP even though they were ripped using JRiver?
  • Should be able to, but I can't guarantee as I don't use Windoze. You know the story...
  • Yes. Jason told me to get DBPoweamp. In fact he's told me several times. And I haven't. And I'm very naughty.
    But I will get it!
    Can I convert the flac files with DBP even though they were ripped using JRiver?
    Hi Ben.  DBP isn't fussy about where the files were ripped.   Can JRiver be used like iTunes in terms of iPod syncing?  The reason I ask is because there's a cool feature in Media Monkey (which might be available in JRiver) that batch converts flac to mp3 when I want to move music onto my iPod.  Saves me having to hold two different versions of my music.

Let me know if you have any further questions.  I've spent more time than is healthy recently trying out various media player/ripping tools on both Windoze and Mac.

• James,
    Good question.
    There is a feature on JRiver called 'iPod setup' or something like that, but when I click on it, it claims that the necessary Internet connection is not present, even when it is.
    Ben
  • edited May 2011
    Getting sorted.
    James - I tried mediamonkey. Really easy and fun to use. It's converting some James Brown and the JBs into mp3 "Insane: ~320 Kbps - highest quality" as I type. The drops into iTunes then work fine. :-)
    I haven't compared the sound of MM to anything else I have, or the different file formats of MM to each other. The end results for the iPhone on a run or in the car are more than adequate.
    I think the problem that I have with the JRiver iPod setup - which would be the easiest solution - is caused by JRiver not liking my 3G dongle connection for that particular function.
    Also JRiver does have a convert facility of it's own, but to my simple mind it appears less fun and flexible than mediamonkey.
    Next up - DBPoweramp...
    Thanks to everyone who chipped in. These forum things can be quite pleasant and helpful... ;-)
    Ben
  • Glad to hear its sorting itself out Ben, dBpoweramp is free for the first month while you decide whether or not to buy a license.