Recommendations: Current Piano music

edited December 2010 in Jazz
Whether it's still a result of the popularity of EST before Esbjorn Svensson died, or for any other reasons, there seems to be a real sustained resurgence of piano and pianists currently in jazz.

Over the past couple of days, I've been listening to Vijay Iyer and Jason Moran. I think both of these performers are like a breath of fresh air, and well worth a listen. Both actually came up at the same time as EST, but maybe EST helped expand the interest in new piano-based jazz.

Has anyone heard the Phronesis album? It's a piano trio led by a bass player, but comes out of the younger UK-based jazz scene. It's not on Spotify, so I think I'm going to have to be old-fashioned and buy the thing unheard 
;-)

Comments

• If you like EST, maybe Nik Bartsch's ronin Holon on the ECM label could be worth a go. Modern piano music in the scandanavian mould. Yes, he's from Switzerland which isn't scandanavian before the pedants tell me! But you get what I'm on about.
    Hopefully.
    Matt.
  • edited February 2011
    If you like EST, maybe Nik Bartsch's ronin Holon on the ECM label could be worth a go. Modern piano music in the scandanavian mould. Yes, he's from Switzerland which isn't scandanavian before the pedants tell me! But you get what I'm on about.
    Hopefully.
    Matt.
    I'm actually not a huge fan of EST, except for Leucocyte, which I think is a masterpiece and pointed to the band doing something really special within the jazz trio format if Svensson hadn't died.

I discovered Bartsch and Ronin with Holon last year and have just bought Llyria, as you may have seen in the Listening to... thread. His/their music is very interesting. I don't know about you, but I find I have to kind of give myself over to it, rather than listen to the details.
  • Not out yet, but I read somewhere that Craig Taborn has a solo piano album coming out on ECM this year.

It makes me wonder if he's 'doing a Jarrett' and rejecting electric/electronic instruments and focusing on acoustic piano. Maybe I'm reading too much into the ECM connection.
  • edited May 2011
    I think Craig Taborn's, Light Made Lighter is wonderful.

Quite enjoying Austin Peralta's Endless Planets too.
  • I don't know either, muz.

Thanks. I shall investigate.