Inca Design ID 25

2»

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Power Inspired AG1500 , is rated at 1500VA with PF of 0.98 the PF of the amps may be a lot lower and this maybe causing it to clip into such a heavy load. Ben does it get hotter also?
    The idle load of the NVA is very light being Class B and the ID25 is very heavily biased to Class A it is possible straining the AG1500, or the AG1500 has DC on the output this will also cause the transformer to buzz.
    But how is the revamped Claymore/Sabre MK1

The NVA so I have been informed is BAISED in A/B data corrected. It was only mention to show the lower idling power of the NVA as to the higher standing power required for the ID25. 
  • Strange. My mains isn't great, but the transformer is pretty quiet considering its 750 va. I had airlink make me another, as the first sample they supplied was very noisy, even with no load on it.

Should be very little hum from speakers, unless your ear is right up close to the drive units.

Paul.
    Yeah. Off the mains very little hum. Sounds great. It's off the ag1500 that it becomes louder (noticeable when nothing is playing). No biggie. :-)
  • edited January 2014
    Power Inspired AG1500 , is rated at 1500VA with PF of 0.98 the PF of the amps may be a lot lower and this maybe causing it to clip into such a heavy load. Ben does it get hotter also?
    The idle load of the NVA is very light being Class B and the ID25 is very heavily biased to Class A it is possible straining the AG1500, or the AG1500 has DC on the output this will also cause the transformer to buzz.
    Thanks Col'.
    Will try the Claymore / Sabre tomorrow. Spent the second half of the day at Paul's listening to his new Rhapsodies...
    Very pleasing.
  • edited January 2014
    Very impressive Colin! :-)
    Wonderfully smooth, airy and quick.
    But, as predicted, the ID25 is a bit smoother, more airy and quicker.
    Both delightful.
    The Claymore is ludicrously "loud". Ludicrous (obviously I can keep the volume at non-ludicrous levels). What have you put in there Colin? 3 shreded wheat...?
  • No bunny power
  • Strange. My mains isn't great, but the transformer is pretty quiet considering its 750 va. I had airlink make me another, as the first sample they supplied was very noisy, even with no load on it.

Should be very little hum from speakers, unless your ear is right up close to the drive units.

Paul.
    Yeah. Off the mains very little hum. Sounds great. It's off the ag1500 that it becomes louder (noticeable when nothing is playing). No biggie. :-)
    One final piece of information...
    The AG1500 outputs a steady 230V. Typically it is indicating that the input voltage (ie that coming out of the wall) is 242V.
    As I say, this is no biggie. Just a curiosity.
  • Clearly air flow over the heatsinks is important for the ID25.
    How much clearance on the top is advised?
    I ask because currently it's sitting on the top shelf. Ideally I'd move it to a lower shelf where it would have around an inch or two of clearance. How sufficient would that be...?
  • edited January 2014
    Are the sides/rear of the rack enclosed ?

That doesn't sound like much room to me, but to be honest I don't know.

I've always used mine on the floor in between the speakers on its own.

Paul.
  • All the shelves are open. They're heavy duty brackets (a la B&Q shop shelving) supporting thick MDF boards.
    There is a good few inches between the back of the shelf / amp and the wall.
  • It's OK to have it on the top shelf. It's just that it's not the...prettiest piece of kit.
    :-S
    I'll see how things evolve. There's going to be some comings and goings on the shelves in coming weeks so more headroom may become available.
  • Ben I would give the new storage heater at least 100mm above and 150mm each side, also you could try plumbing a radiator above it a hose pipe to the car, so you can have a nice warm car in the morning.
    OK another bad idea. 
    >:)
  • edited January 2014
    Righto. Thanks guys.
    It'll be staying in pride of place on the top shelf then...!
    Better give the wife the good news...
  • edited January 2014
    Even my Krell KRC-3 preamp got too warm (not dangerously so, just noticably warmer) with shelves above it... heated the rack up nicely!
  • Yes. I think I'll play safe.
    Perhaps we could start a new thread:
    "Hifi food: Meals from the heatsink"
  • Or bed warming on cold winters nights with your Hot Amp, Ideal for folk on warfarin and getting more senior than most. He he I must try it.  >:)
  • Yes. I think I'll play safe.
    Perhaps we could start a new thread:
    "Hifi food: Meals from the heatsink"
    Beat you to it! (Or rather, my daughter did)