Recommendations: Art Pepper

JimJim
edited December 2010 in Jazz
Among Friends.  1978, late period Pepper but sounds as if it's from the '50s.  It's got the hard bop feel to it - almost.

The Trip.  1976, so again late period.  The title track was apparently written in '63 while he was in the nick.  On the surface it can sound a bit melancholy but it always strikes me as hopeful more than anything else - much like a Smiths track :)  Now there's a strange link!

Living Legend.  1975, the so-called comeback album.  All I need to say is Ophelia - utter and total bliss.

Comments

• Do I take this list as an introduction to Art Pepper - a way in for a newbie?
  • Could be.  These are 3 of my current favourites.  It's hard to suggest where to start, and I've been listening to Pepper for over half my life.

I hope that helps?
  • I don't know....that must be a long time! 
    :-"

• Oh that you were wrong!

:(
  • Art Pepper Live at the Village Vanguard. Available as single albums, a 4-CD box set and a 9-CD box set.

This has everything that made Pepper great, the mixture of bop and avant garde playing, and a feeling that the music is just about to fall apart, they are pushing it so far. He is pouring so much emotion into the playing, you don't know how he keeps himself together.
  • Interesting selections guys - none from his early period. I suspect the Vanguard sessions are worth the money particularly as they are live.
  • I think his best work was in the later period, but everyone (but me) seems to rate:

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (Miles Davis' rhythm section, that is) from the late 50s. 

Some early stuff that I do like is:

Modern Art, which has two essentials - Blues In and Summertime

Incidentally, I have a spare 9-CD Village Vanguard set which I'm planning to put on the For Sale section.
  • Not my favourite but I do like the Rhythm Section but it is a bit too safe.

Modern Art is terrific - Blues In and Blues Out being favourites with me.