Got me some stands

edited June 2011 in Loudspeakers
Finally got round to acquiring some Atacama SL600 speaker stands....(caution....statement of the blindingly obvious coming).....what an improvement!

I now understand what Spacey was talking about when he described the imaging qualities of Adam Audio speakers as being superb. Gone is the bloated bass and congested midrange caused by mounting the speakers on crappy MDF shelves. Far tighter/punchier sound all round.

As you can tell, I'm rather pleased with this modest investment and should have done it yonks ago.

James

Comments

• Cool. Well done sah! :-)
  • edited June 2011
    They are excellent stands and good value.
    I use a pair of the shorter SL400 under some vintage Rogers Export Monitors in my TV/office room.
  • We need system pics now James!
    :-D
  • edited July 2011
    Agreed Alan...there's pics of the speakers on Spacey's 'active all the way' thread. Will post some better pics of the whole system when I've tidied up the shelving and cables (which is causing me much earache from Mrs Brumjam :-@ ).
  • Agreed Alan...there's pics of the speakers on Spacey's 'active all the way' thread. Will post some better pics of the whole system when I've tidied up the shelving and cables (which is causing me much earache from Mrs Brumjam :-@ ).
    You stand up for yerself, Mr BJ. Cables are a man's right!  :X :-D
  • Hmmm...so is a quiet life!
  • Agreed Alan...there's pics of the speakers on Spacey's 'active all the way' thread. Will post some better pics of the whole system when I've tidied up the shelving and cables (which is causing me much earache from Mrs Brumjam :-@ ).

You stand up for yerself, Mr BJ. Cables are a man's right!  :x :D
    indeed, i like to hang mines out in full public view ,

:D
  • edited July 2011
    I've heard about that. You favour bell wire, don't you?
    /:-)
  • >:/ :-))

• I set 'em up, Dave knocks 'em down!

:D
  • Come on James get those pics up of your dirty dirty system. We need to see them :D
  • While listening to my system tonight it dawned on me that I never got round to filling my speaker stands #-O

My original intention was to buy a load of Atacama atabites (posh lead shot for people who buy into marketing hype like me :-D), so tonight I've ordered enough to fill my SL600 stands.

As my speakers weigh 19kg each it stands to reason that there is a fair amount of energy being created, which might just be adding to the annoying resonance I hear around 50-60hz. Before I get into room eq I want to make sure I've done everything physically possible to reduce the effects of speaker/stand interaction.

I'll update this thread with my findings.
  • We'll aweight your findings. (See what I did there :-) )
  • Well the atabites are installed in my stands along with some rubber isolation thingys (technical term) on the top of each speaker stand. Each stand now weighs 26kg :O and filling them in one room then moving them into another room wasn't the smartest idea Ive ever had [-(

The added weight plus isolation pads has had a marked effect in two ways. Firstly, bass notes sound much tighter without as much overhang/resonance as before. Secondly the soundstage seems more focused. Aside from the fact I'll be picking atabites out the carpet for the next few years I'm really impressed with the benefits they have brought.

I've been able to reduce the amount of eq I apply in Audio hijack pro as well. Spent an hour last night listening with the atabites and revised eq and my system is sounding rather fine.....even if I do say so myself B-)
  • edited November 2011
    Ooh, more tweaking & audio-OCD! More variables to consider...I am glad it works, as my stands are hollow & need filling sometime. I have a whacking great granite slab grip-filled to the bottom of my stands (child-proofing), so I would be aiming to control ring rather than add mass. I have never been aware of ringing though, but the thought is hardly ap-peal-ing...(Boom boom!)

I got a set of spikes in the post this week, now I have a lounge carpet - We'll see how much difference they make also.
  • Can't beat a bit of audio OCD.....just wait 'til I get started on FireWire cables ;-)

I've got some spikes but now tried them yet.....something else to try this weekend. The fun never stops!