OS X Lion

edited July 2011 in Digital
I've upgraded my MacBook Air, but not my main iMac or my MacBook audio server.

Has anyone hit any problems with their upgrade? I'm thinking of hi-fi-related software that hasn't yet been modified for Lion.

Comments

• Apart from it not starting to download from the app store for me =;

Sonos sent me a mail yesterday to say their software isn't compatible with Lion. Not too much of an issue for me because I use my iPhone and iPad to control it.

James
  • edited July 2011
    Apart from it not starting to download from the app store for me =;

Sonos sent me a mail yesterday to say their software isn't compatible with Lion. Not too much of an issue for me because I use my iPhone and iPad to control it.

James
    Yup. I had to take a few goes to get it to start downloading.

I don't use Sonos software, so I'm OK there. Thanks for that, though.
  • Charles Hansen, who helped develop Decibel for MAC made a general observation that it will be "some time" before audio applications will work with Lion, and iTunes has also changed. He recommended sticking with Snow Leopard for now on music servers.

I'll be interested to see how vanilla iTunes compares with pimped audio players like Decibel and Amarra, once the dust settles.
  • Thanks for that Alan.

My MacBook Air and iMac are both upgraded now, but I'll stay with Snow Leopard for a while, while the dust settles.
  • There's possibly an equally important problem for NAS users.

It seems the NAS makers haven't been quick enough off the mark with driver updates. I've only just discovered this problem, and can't quote chapter and verse. I'm going out now, but hope to find out more later.

Unless you know chapter and verse?
  • edited July 2011
    OK. A little more about my Synology NAS. It seems the NAS's own O/S needs updating, and Synology are saying that it will take until the end of August for this to come out of Beta - and installing the Beta is irreversible.

What I have discovered is that, in my set-up, it's Phile Audio and the NAS that aren't playing well together, but I've cooked up a workaround. If I set PA to write the ripped files on to the iMac's internal disc, rather than on to the NAS, and then have iTunes copy them on to the NAS and into its library, all is well. Phew!

I'd still say check in detail with your NAS manufacturer's site before upgrading to OS X Lion. Mine looked OK at first, but it wasn't.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm not sure of any of you are interested in the Lion/NAS issues I've been writing about, but I thought I'd bring them to an end with the solution I've found.

It turns out there's a final NAS O/S update for V3.1 dated 29 or 30 June that I hadn't installed. Having installed it, everything seems cool. Both Lion and Snow Leopard are happily reading from and writing to the Synology DS411slim. 

It looks like the next version of the NAS O/S will allow me to use Time Machine with it again - but I don't use the NAS for backups, so I hope I've solved everything.

I'm still sticking with Snow Leopard for the MacBook server, though.
  • On computer audiophile it's been said that Decibel is compatible with Lion, though there are some uncertainties about the finer points of its operation. Nontheless, all the main features apparently work just fine.
  • Thanks Alan

I've been so caught up with messing with the NAS that I haven't looked into Decibel properly, although I think I noticed that one of the recent updates claimed to be Lion-compatible.

I'll leave it until next weekend, and possibly upgrade the server to Lion. 

Do you have any plans to upgrade your mini to Lion, Alan?
  • Probably Dave, but I haven't even switched the system on for about three weeks now, and the next month looks even busier!

When I do get some time, I'll probably just crash & enjoy some 'toons rather than start updating things just yet. I may even wait until the next Decibel update comes out so I know the transition will be smooth.
  • Yeah. I don't you. 
  • Just a thought, Marco hasn't released any Lion drivers for the Young DAC yet has he? Does it work OK with with the OSX drivers? I'm sure Lion drivers will be along shortly.

From what I've read, the ability to support so-called integer output is no longer supported by the Lion OS as the USB drivers have changed. The Young DAC couldn't do integer output, as yet anyway. So there are some real changes in areas that could make a difference. Apparently too, the new iTunes (in 64 bit mode) sounds really good on Lion.

Slightly older MACS like mine (2009) that have 64 bit architecture now boot up & run 64 bit from the off, which they never could before. I wonder if this will be a good thing too as the Young is 32 bit.

I'm still not installing it just yet though!
  • Also reported somewhere (CA was it?) that there are compatability issues with Pure Music with Lion as well. I think I'll stick with what I've got for the time being!
    Matt.
  • Snow Leopard will stay on my server until I've spent some time reading the pros and cons.

NAS foibles took up my spare time over the weekend. Maybe I can find some time one evening.