Plug 'n (don't) play

edited July 2011 in Digital
I updated my MAC mini the other day using software update - I don't often do this as I switched off the automatic update function. My Mini is now as up to date as it can be with the exception of the new Lion operating system - I'll wait for M2Tech drivers before I do that.

The thing is - it now cannot see my Young DAC, either in AudioMidi or in System preferences > Sound. Even going through 'About this MAC' to the USB section I cannot see my DAC anywhere.

I uninstalled the driver using terminal, reinstalled again and - still nothing. So I'm off to bed in a huff.

I'd quite like to solve this next time I have a look at it - any ideas?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Can you do a system restore on an apple?
  • I dunno Ben - I am thinking that a full disc re-install might be the way forward. I understand this is quite painless on a MAC, and the computer is almost empty as everything is stored on a NAS.
  • Do you have the most up-to-date Young driver?
  • I do - installed & reinstalled several times now, and even freshly downloaded for good measure.

I there something I can run as a diagnostic tool or something?
  • Alan,
    I have had a similar symptom, usually when I've switched off the DAC.  I found it to be something to do with the Young, maybe handshaking rituals I'm not sure.  Unplugging the DAC for quite a while and then reconnecting sorted it out.  My MacMini is also as uptodate as it can be without Lion and there's been no problems so i doubt it's the software updates.
    Andy
  • Thanks Andy, good advice I think.

I just received this advice from Pietro at M2Tech, which I will follow tonight.

Hello Alan,

We verified there is no need of a new driver's release because the
    current release can work on both Snow Leopard and Lion .

On our MACs the drivers still work well after the system update from
    Snow Leopard to Lion, however in the past and unfortunately in the
    future, there are some cases in which a system update cause driver's
    fault. Usually we sort out by the driver's re-installation so please
    install the driver over the older one and reboot he machine at the end
    of the installation, could you try one time again, disconnect the USB
    cable and power off the Young by unplugging the power connect (to ensure
    a good system reset), download the Young's driver:
    http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/Young148MI106.dmg.zip

and run it.

After that reboot the system and re-connect everything. I should works
    otherwise you could try to update at the Lion OS.

Best regards

Interesting comments wrt Lion.
  • Great Alan.  We're all pleased to know that we can Lionise out Music players.  Pls post back if this sorts out the issues.  If i were you I'd be include to sort it in SL, before introducing another variable.
    Andy
  • That's what I shall try to do Andy. I'll let you know over the weekend.
  • Yep. One thing at a time. Get this working again before Lionising the Mac.

Then there's the issue of Decibel and Lion. I think I saw that the latest update (or the one before) solved Lion probe, but I will check before doing the O/S upgrade.
  • Decibel was supposedly Lion ready before Lion came out, as S Booth is a developer. The only thing not supported by Decibel or any other player in Lion is Integer mode, which the Young can't do anyway.

I am reading reports that iTunes sounds really good in Lion.
  • I'll certainly give iTunes a try again vs PureMusic when I Lionise the mini tonight.
  • Yep. That's what I've been told (Decibel).

Surely Apple haven't done the big iTunes re-write everyone's been waiting for and then only given it a point version update?

Anyway, I'll probably do the Lion update on the MacBook over the weekend and find out what's what.
  • edited July 2011
    Speaking of Apple updates Dave - check your email. My father in law sent me that!
  • aw... :(
    you guys won't play with me and share your secrets 
    :-((
  • pm me your email andy!
    :X
  • I see I'll have to revive my jokes list ;-)
  • Yes, jokes have been overlooked somehow.

I'll tell you what else is often overlooked - Garden fences.
  • Boom! Boom! (two elephants fell off a cliff)
  • edited July 2011
  • I think your skin has gone a bit leathery from laying out in the sun too much.

Otherwise, you're looking much batter :-)
  • Right - followed the advice from Pietro at M2Tech to the letter, and all is now well in my audio world. Thanks for the help chaps!
  • Great news Alan.  I must say I do find CA more frustrating that traditional methods of replay.
  • edited July 2011
    Trudat! Plug and play my eye..... :ar!

Actually, I think we had some power issue here on thursday morning as my preamp was a bit nutty and had to be reset. Also several items had been switched off by my mains protecter.

I suppose the DAC could have been affected by a spike or something as it now seems to me the computer was fine and it was the DAC not talking to the computer that caused the problem.