Tellurium Q ,,on the green and its smokin

edited July 2011 in Other hi-fi gear
hi all,
so , i have been using Tellurium Q green for a while now and thought it was about time i posted my thoughts on its performance in my system, i had been using the Black previous to this but that is now at a friends house as he was getting curious of the silly grin i have been wearing ever since i started using Tellurium q cable ,i took it to him and await his final thoughts,
these cables have been around for some time now and you may have read my posts on what the black did for my system, well ,i can confirm that the green is also superb , when i first hooked it up i was less than enamored , heavily rolled off treble, no real bass weight but with lots of upper bass, i noticed that the black took a couple of days worth of heavy listening to come to life and show its metal, which it duly did!! the green took almost three times as long to do its stuff, now cables are still a very contentious issue for some and cables actually burning in will be a very hard pill to swallow but this green cable is now a very different device to what was plugged in quite some time ago, i will go as far here as to say "it goes through a huge transformation" , there i said it , not only do different cables sound different but they also need burning in!!

the green has removed all glare  from my system, i have to keep double checking how loud i have the system as there is no cue that the system is starting to sound compressed and distorted , my amp is only good for about 50watts but my speakers manage a good 91db 1w@ 1m,couple this to my BK xls 300 sub and this humble little system can shift some air ,previous to the green i couldn't go beyond the 10 o'clock position with my old black rhodium tango cable and the Tq Black let me go much higher but things still got a bit unruly at the 12 o'clock position but the green just doesn't give any idea of how loud the system is playing, i grabbed my phone an hour ago and did a check and it said 110db at the listening seat and i had no idea !! (must remember to say sorry to my long suffering and wonderful neighbours ) although i probably should have taken more notice of the seat throbbing in time with hypnotic bass line and the kick in the back from every thwud from the kick drum ,
 dynamically ,in the low frequencies the green quite a scary thing to behold , it has that bass that you get from a live performance , you must have felt that thing where the upper bass notes resonate higher up in your body and the really low stuff seems to move your extremities more and you feel the bass notes not hear them, well the green does that , so well in fact that i have to turn my sub down by 30% as my main speakers are now doing their thing so much better the black did this too but not with such ease,
as the frequencies rise and fall there isn't even a sniff of unevenness , the mid range is also free er and more dynamic but again there isnt any sign of the 'shout' that became all to evident with the black rhodium cable when pushed to higher volumes , rather the green forces you into sense of security that demands a fully detached house and a significant other that's either completely deaf or impossibly tolerant ! detail just pours out the system in an almost matter of fact way , i am hearing little things that i haven't heard before from records i have owned and listened to for years ,
it can also communicate a massive soundstage ,when its called for! and with smaller more intimate recordings i get just that ,more intimate ,, there is an even better sense of the force of the playing from performers, by that i mean if a performer is beating the life out of an instrument you know it but if they are really trying to be delicate and just eking the tiniest subtlety from it then its also communicated as just that, baring in mind my very humble system i really have to wonder what this cable would do in a much more upmarket system,

treble is really quite sweet and if i am honest a bit too sweet for my taste , but i can forgive this as i have a few records with less than smooth upper frequencies , its not a bad thing but if you are using speakers and an amp that are already very smoothed or rolled off up top you may not like the green effect ,

i know cable is just viewed as the bit of wire that connects up the important bits of the system but i now feel that this is just not the case , whatever Tellurium q have done it is something that gets to a fundamental problem and its one that i didnt know existed , the truth to me at this moment in time is that hifi users everywhere are sitting listening to music via their respective systems and are not actually hearing the best of those recordings from those systems but are instead hearing as much of their music via those systems as the cables are letting them hear, its a damn tall statement but as i said, to me its the truth as i am now getting way more from my system than i thought it was capable of ,  just give the green 3 times longer than any other speaker cable you may have owned before judging its abilities and for gods sake mind the volume control,.

so again i am saying well done and thanks to Tellurium Q who do do voodoo,
i am trying the black interconnect at the moment so will give my thoughts on that soon,
all the best for now folks
matt
:-bd

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Hi Matt please find arrow on cable it does make it sound better when correctly set up.
    It's not Voodoo Geoff (he is Irish) says it is Pixie Dust, no it German Beer Geoff.
    Have fun and enjoy.

Best Col

See you soon

• Wow - that review makes some pretty impressive claims! I am really glad it is working so well for you Matt, I am more curious than ever to try this cable out.

Without giving anything important away Col, can you tell us some of what makes TQ different to other cables?
  • Wow - that review makes some pretty impressive claims! I am really glad it is working so well for you Matt, I am more curious than ever to try this cable out.

Without giving anything important away Col, can you tell us some of what makes TQ different to other cables?
    hi Alan,
    good question , i would love to know too, the beryllium copper banana plugs are simply the best i have used and cannot tell the difference between them and a good bare wire connection , i have used them for a few years now on various cables including all the cables i have  compared the green to so its not them, from handling the cable ,its as if i can feel the conductor moving inside the insulation , beyond that i haven't tried to look under the shrink to see what the conductors look like , it could be steel for all i know ,

the one thing i am sure of is that i stand by my rather direct comments regarding Tellurium q cables i have tried , its got me well and truly flummoxed ! a bit of wire is a bit of wire , right?  as much as it goes against my common sense it really is the case that all the other cables i own and have used were masking detail that the rest of my system is actually perfectly capable of reproducing , i will add that it has also shown up a few issues with my front end ( diy TT must get built soon !! and i must rewire my alphason arm,must get a garrard 401 ,etc,etc, ) but they are easily sorted ,
     the end result with the Tq cables is simply that it gets better value from everything else in the system as the whole system just sounds better , with so many of the guys in this community having really rather nice systems that make mine look like the reject corner at an audio jumble i feel they all owe it to all that investment to at least try these rather simple and 'oh so good' cables ,
     i would love to read others thoughts on these cables when used in those fine systems and look forward to Colin sharing those secrets ?, perhaps when the patents are in place ?, lol
    all the best
    matt
    :-" :-D
  • edited August 2011
    Removed because knowledge is power. G.M.

• thought i would top up this thread a little as the green has improved even more ,
    in my previous posts i stated that i was finding the treble a bit too sweet and easy going , this has changed quite a bit, the sound has lost a lot of that gentle, cutesy sweetness and is now quite a bit more explicit, never sharp or smeared but, when playing an old fav of mine in the form of Jimi Hendrix Electric lady land ,the live studio performances now give a greater sense of the recorded space ,the bass guitar  has clear space around it, the sound from Jimi's guitar amps that are placed a good distance from the mic's is bouncing of the walls in the rather large sounding studio , this was a little curtailed when i posted my first thoughts on this cable, bass is still beautifully even but now has a little more of the instrumental texture and timbre being revealed ( most likely a product of the treble opening up more ) .

on more modern and heavily processed music such as the LP from  Cold cut  ,called 'sound mirrors',  the layering of sound within the mixes is quite amazing with lots of very subtle little effects and sounds being laid into sound stage ,above behind and all round the plane of the speakers ,and a very wide sound stage at that.

as i mentioned in the last post about this cable it has the ability to get out of the way to give an end result of the amp being better enabled to get the signal to the speakers , this is even more evident now ,after hundreds of hours of use, all the details and performer placement cues that are now so obvious were just not present before i used this cable, all the other equipment is the same and nothing  has been moved or adjusted in any way so the cable is the thing bringing improvement ( or should that read the green cable is the thing that is not messing up the sound like my old cable clearly was !)

one of the really odd things i have found with tellurium cables is how much easier it is to really crank up the volume to what were previously uncomfortable levels, but, are now desired levels and not a hint of compression or strain, i have never been a fan of really loud hi fi at home ,now though i think i just didnt like how my system sounded when loud, so if you have a nice system but it sounds a bit pushed and rough when loud you may actually be hearing your cables complaining, its the only thing i have changed and can now ramp up the volume , so i can only conclude that the old cable was at fault compared to the green.

these cables go to reinforce what i have been touting on various forums for a long time, even if you think you know ,don't assume thats all you will ever know, and be prepared to unlearn what you thought you knew as someone will come along at some point and say ''try this'' and what you thought you knew will become redundant in an instant,

this top up post is ,i guess, more about giving things time to settle and 'run in' ,never had a cable take this long to really let go but i live and learn,

i am thinking that if Tellurium Q can maintain this sort of 'new thinking' approach to all their products that are on the cooker  i may well have a full TQ system in years to come ,

thanks to Col and Geoff and all at Tq for improving my audio world.

all the best,
    matt
  • Hi Matt, I am glad you are enjoying the cable, but you gotta hear the "Graphite Range", Now many year ago I did gold plated mains plugs and the improvement to me was minor, but the plug got test and it did improve contact and did reduce losses. 
    No we have just completed the safety tests on the mains cords, (6KVAC) and it does what you just sound about levels of painful music, and the bass it just silly, I have tried it on the Amp, pre, CD and all three, it like a new system crazy.
    And it has gold plated plugs on,
    Anyway how did you buddy get on with the Black, oh Geoff and I are in Edinburgh Airport today, we will be wearing out TQ T shirts.

• hi Col, graphite ? the mind boggles at the possible price of such things, if the other cables are anything to go by they will be outstanding, my claymore has its original inca tech mains plug , not sure if its gold plated though, but all the contacts are still very shiny.
    the mains cables sound interesting , i have for a long time bean using home made mains cables in various forms and can notice when they are not used so i am on the side of the fence that believes they can make a real difference , i look forward to reading some of the findings from those that are using your new cables.
    my mate is loving the black, he has long been a DNM cable user , he noticed immediate changes when he went over to the black and is listening to lots of music via his speakers rather than the headphones he was using so that kinda speaks volumes for what Tq cables do, they make you want to listen more!!
    wish i could have got down to the airport today to buy you both lunch , stuck at home with the old dear though,
    hope you guys had a productive visit to Edinburgh in your Tq shirts, will they be available to buy from your website?
    let Geoff know that i havent forgot about him and i will be in touch with a proper offer!!!!!
    all the best mate,
    matt

• edited September 2011
    Graphite !!!image

• Yep and no hissing  :-))
  • wish i had a system worthy of such a cable,
    :O
  • Cheek you have it your ears.
  • lol, no offence intended Col, you guys have already proven that your cables bring more improvement than a whole new system would when using the cheap cable i had previously ,,, once the new tt is finished and the new phono stage and amps are in place along with some new speakers i will consider a re-mortgage and give some a go , please post links to any reviews of the graphite,
    all the best,
    matt
  • Yo Col,

where does the Graphite fit into the range then? I didnt see anything about it on the TQ website earlier this week.

I see there is a dealer down my way (near Eastbourne) that sells TQ, I think I will ring them to ask about a trial. I am becoming quite intrigued with the uniformly good reports.

I wonder if you can answer without giving too much away - how does the range work? I mean in the sense that the blue isn't in the same league as the black, then the UB and the Green are better still. Is the difference in performance a question of construction, purity of materials, or something else?

The way people are describing the difference between blue and black, and the way the marketing blurb on the TQ website describes the aim of each cable, it almost seems like the Blue is the same good basic cable as the Black but it simply misses some key component or device.

I would love to see how a TQ cable fits into my system as it has always shown differences very well, and it is cable sensitive. In fact, my amp was developed was my current cable.

[columbo voice] Just one more thing....[/columbo voice] when I get my Wonfor-designed LDR up and running, will it be a Tellurium-Note?:-)
  • Hi Sbilotta - thanks for those links - what part of the world are you from?

Why not pop into the 'please introduce yourself' thread at the top of the index and say hello, tell us a little about yourself & your system, music etc. We hope you'll feel very welcome here.
    :)
  • edited September 2011
    Hi Alan,

"I wonder if you can answer without giving too much away - how does the range work? I mean in the sense that the blue isn't in the same league as the black, then the UB and the Green are better still. Is the difference in performance a question of construction, purity of materials, or something else? " (Alan Quote).

Answer I have to say is yes to all, materials play a key part, followed by construction.
    The Blue is not the same in materials or construction but it does have approximately the same dimensions as the Black. It was designed firstly for AV system to improve on the bell wire or Fairground lighting wire often used, and be flexible and flat in construction so you could hide it from the boss.
    Again the Green and the Ultra Black have the same dimensions but not all the same materials or construction .
    The Graphite combines all the nice gentleness of the Green but with the speed and power of the UB, this combination just gives you more detail, a hell of a solid bass, and a image to die for, it a shame it take hours to make.

Now the interconnect are very different and to long to describe before tea time, so I am of for my curry. 
    Oh and Star Trek, beam me up Geoff.

I hope this is OK.

Best Col
  • Hi Col,
    have you finished your curry yet ? because we are waiting for your IC description ;-)
    and please add the Graphite range to the description, always without letting too much out :-)

All the best.
    Stefano
  • Star Trek is still on sorry , no packing for hols, and had a mad mad day making cables,
    See you soon, Italy here I come. And Ice Cream mmmm
  • OK, I understand - Star Trek must come first. Live long & Prosper...
  • No Beam me up Scotty quick before I put my mouth around my foot. ehhhh

• That's great, Col. Well done!
  • Dammit Col - you're not making this easy for me!

I will resist....until I have some money!
  • What a choice: cables or new van? 

Have you thought of a combine?
  • Cheeky swine! I shall both have my cake, and then eat it! So there!
    :p
  • New van, they make one called "Chieftain" I think fuel is crap parking is easy, and no wheel clamps ever. he he ;-)
  • it should hopefully by now be all too obvious that opinions on these magic cables are as consistent as Ive seen for any hi fi product ever , has anyone come across a less than favorable review of the Tq cable ?
  • Now resist Alan I dare you he he

It's all Spanish to me, Col  :-D
  • Now resist Alan I dare you he he

It's all Spanish to me, Col  :-D
    lol,, it was even hard going with googul translatifier
  • That the trouble with the non standard English press.
    And you just can't get good staff.
    :*
  • edited November 2011
    The Google transmoggrefier cocks up everything, try http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ it might be better review and says KableX or even wet string is better.

Has anybody tried wet string?? and if Thames or Avon water sounds better??
    :-) >:-)
  • I did try wet string, but spaghetti actually tastes better
    :-D
  • Hi Col - hows things?

I would truly love to hear it mate, but resistance isn't something I have the option over at the moment!

I agree with what has been said though, its unusual for a product to get so uniformly positive eulogies on t'internet.
  • Well it put pay to those sceptic that said we paid the UK press for a good review at least.
    Alan PM me when you can.
    Had another dreadful ride in a ambulance today, ticker played games of missing beats for up to 20secs, worrying.
    But the medic was a hifi buff and had a Claymore cool.
  • its about time tellurium q made a ticker enhancer, guaranteed to have a deeper , stronger, clearer beat!! hope you are all good now Col,
    best regs,
    matt
  • Blimey Col - take it easy mate! Glad that you're OK still! (And that the paramedic likes your amp, or there's no telling how the day might have ended!)

X_X
  • Take it easy Col.
  • Thanks guys, but what will be will be, I am sorry to say.
    Now back to Simon Lomax's SECA, A Class I have made for him , listening to some Blues, followed by Yellow I think.
    It has now been on soak and eating my electric for 4 days nice and warm, it keeps my coffee hot, it only eats 300W but it nice and toasty now should sound amazing.
    I have to make two for the USA lads to, just wish I made them lighter.
    Best Col
    PS Alan it goes on Monday have fun.

• That's great Col, wonderful in fact. I'm starting to get tingly in anticipation (at least I think that's what it is).

Your SECA amps are something I will hear someday. Perhaps when I own my own dilythium crystals mine? Did quickie ever get any joy selling that temptress TOCA?
  • No it call "Vanphobia" it came after van is wrecked it is not harmful a good music session will fix it, your see.
    Followed by another and another, mmm sweet. I am listening to a recommendation from Matt it is superb, I downloaded as a MP3 and the FLAC the FLAC converted is far in the way the best thanks Matt.
  • hi Col , glad you are enjoying it too, agree the FLAC is by far the best and what a performance too, thanks need to go to Neville Roberts at Hi Fi World for printing the link , and also a huge THANKYOU to you COL, for making such amazing cables that truly allow us to hear soooooo much more!!!!!!

Alan , if you are about to get a pizza box full of magic be prepared to be scratching your head for a long time to come!

all the best guys,

matt

;) :D
  • Well Simon has collected the first production A Class, shame I was enjoying it now I have to make another. :-((
  • I did try wet string, but spaghetti actually tastes better
    :-D
    You are right just tried it and it does, no more wet string for me. I wonder does it curry well.
  • Got another van now, similar vintage but nicer engine. I is now a white van man, geezer!

Brandenburgs downloading now BTW, thanks for the linkies.
  • Oh poor Matt, the new power cable is now ready.
    But crazy money, there will be a cheaper one soon (I hope).
  • poor Matt is about right, just had to wipe out all my savings getting the building fixed , hence hi fi is on hold until next year

:(
    :D

• You had it up to loud again, bad man. That's what the cable does it makes thing much louder and buildings fall down, I wonder if we should put a warning on the box about that. :-?

Seriously I have to fix a few things here and god the price, it was OK when I could climb ladders, mix cement but now whooops a new mortgage.
    Dave back to Sound Stream, it was a optical device not a digital lies box, and brown and ugly. 
    Now I have to hunt it out, bloody more work .
    :(