HD Tracks

JimJim
edited December 2010 in Digital
Anyone seen this?

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php

And what's the opinion?

Comments

• Seen it, but as my DAC doesn't play anything but Red Book, I haven't tried it.
  • Isn't the fact that they are higher def in the first place worth doing? 
  • Maybe in the long run, when I get a DAC that can handle them. Otherwise, from what I've been told, the DAC just plays them as Red Book. 

This may apply specifically to my King Rex - I was told this by Mark at Item Audio.
  • My DacMagic II does 24/96 but AFAIK  USB can only carry Red Book.  The DM upsamples before it converts back to analogue.  I have a few 24/96 and they sound very good - but I've not compared them to 16/44 so I don't know if they're better.
  • Standard USB can carry higher than Red Book.

I'm sure @coops could help us out if he's around.
  • Ah, didn't know that.  Some clarity would be good.  Where's the experts?
  • The new Young DAC with it's ridiculously high sample rates only 'does it's thang' over USB. Apparently USB 2 is capable of carrying over 12 channels of 14/196!

I have a DM, and it's limited to 44.1kHz & 48kHz for USB. I believe the Caiman is also redbook over USB, which is why I haven't converted my Koln Concert (from HD tracks) yet.
  • The new Young DAC with it's ridiculously high sample rates only 'does it's thang' over USB. Apparently USB 2 is capable of carrying over 12 channels of 14/196!

I have a DM, and it's limited to 44.1kHz & 48kHz for USB. I believe the Caiman is also redbook over USB, which is why I haven't converted my Koln Concert (from HD tracks) yet.
    The Young DAC, Wyred4Sound DAC 2 and others have their own trick chipset and driver to enhance USB.
  • I haven't downloaded anything from HD Tracks, but I have bought a few albums from Linn in 24/96 FLAC format.  These can sound rather magical via a HiFace USB converter, but I am struggling to replicate the sonic bliss that my old HP laptop running XP/Foobar/ASIO provides, with other PCs using Win7/Foobar/WASAPI.  The Win7 machines all produce a sound that's rather "matter of fact" in comparison with the XP laptop's truly glorious, vibrant, analoguey sound.  One day I will understand these things.  The HiFace gadgets (the original 'stick' and the new Evo) will both stream 24/192 via USB to my Lyngdorf TDA2200 amplifier.  Does the sampling rate matter, though?  I see that most of Linn's catalogue is in 24/44.1 FLAC format; and I have read that extra bit depth has a greater impact on sound quality than sampling rate.  Anyone care to shed any personal experiences on that?  I have held off buying any 24/44.1 albums so far, but maybe I ought to just go for it?
  • Interesting that comparison between XP and Win 7. Are you sure you have Win 7 set up correctly for playback?

Shame Jason isn't here. He's the Win 7 set-up man.
  • I'm bypassing the Win7 setup by using WASAPI in Foobar (and J River Media Center, too).  Could I be labouring under a misapprehension here?  Certainly, altering the output settings in both programs does change the sampling rate etc on the digital output.
  • Hugo

Try this link from the computeraudiophile website which details how to set up Win7 & J River 15. I use it and find it very 'analogish'.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Windows-7-Audio-J-River-Media-Center-14-Configuration

Mervyn

ps Has anyone sent Jason an invitiation ?

• I'm sorry I don't think I can help you on this one.

I'm desperately trying to resist having to run Windows on my audio server because of these kind of issues. However, Jason may still win and get me back into the Windows fold.

Have you had a root around on Computer Audiophile?

On a slight tangent, I'm hoping to finally get my MacBook Air into the system sometime over the new year to see what a solid state Mac sounds like.
  • Hugo

Try this link from the computeraudiophile website which details how to set up Win7 & J River 15. I use it and find it very 'analogish'.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Windows-7-Audio-J-River-Media-Center-14-Configuration

Mervyn

ps Has anyone sent Jason an invitiation ?

Thanks for that Mervyn

You got there before me and in more detail.

I keep forgetting that you're running a Jason server.

And, yes, I have invited him.
  • I haven't downloaded anything from HD Tracks, but I have bought a few albums from Linn in 24/96 FLAC format.  These can sound rather magical via a HiFace USB converter, but I am struggling to replicate the sonic bliss that my old HP laptop running XP/Foobar/ASIO provides, with other PCs using Win7/Foobar/WASAPI.  The Win7 machines all produce a sound that's rather "matter of fact" in comparison with the XP laptop's truly glorious, vibrant, analoguey sound.  One day I will understand these things.  The HiFace gadgets (the original 'stick' and the new Evo) will both stream 24/192 via USB to my Lyngdorf TDA2200 amplifier.  Does the sampling rate matter, though?  I see that most of Linn's catalogue is in 24/44.1 FLAC format; and I have read that extra bit depth has a greater impact on sound quality than sampling rate.  Anyone care to shed any personal experiences on that?  I have held off buying any 24/44.1 albums so far, but maybe I ought to just go for it?
    Higher sampling rates allow the designer to position the digital and analogue filtering further away from the audio upper limit of 20kHz. The noise and digital image signals are easier to filter with gentle filters having better phase characteristics when you use higher sampling rates, or up-sample.
    How audible this might be is open to question but it certainly makes good sense form a technical POV.
    Higher sampling rates allow the designer to position the digital and analogue filtering further away from the audio upper limit of 20kHz. The noise and digital image signals are easier to filter with gentle filters having better phase characteristics when you use higher sampling rates, or up-sample.
    How audible this might be is open to question but it certainly makes good sense form a technical POV.
    The positioning of that filtering within the upper limits of audibility with Red Book is always one of the sticks used by the analogue brigade to beat us digital listeners.
  • Back to HD Tracks.

You can only buy if you're in the US.

Chocolate fireguard, anyone?
  • Using your paypal account, you can purchase from anywhere in the world. I bout my Keith Jarret from them.

When you join, don't forget to start with the free demo album. After you get it (I've not played mine yet) they give you a 15% off voucher for the next album.
  • I tried to use PayPal, but it kicked me out.

Maybe I need to have the same e-mail addy with HD Tracks and PayPal.

I'll try again.
  • I tried to use PayPal, but it kicked me out.

Maybe I need to have the same e-mail addy with HD Tracks and PayPal.

I'll try again.
    Did it work? It should have done.

I got the HD tacks newsletter this week telling me they're doing 24/192 downloads, which is good news. Until you see what they are...

Maybe I'm just a snob, but they look terrible, and there are only two
    albums! I wonder if people will buy them simply because they are 24/192? Hopefully time will improve the situation, but I wouldn't be advertising yet!
  • I got the freebies, but need to try buying some stuff.

Yeah. It's that usual thing of selling the audiophile crap at over-inflated prices. I won't buy it.
  • I should have said that I managed to buy some albums from HDtracks, but the Young tells me that one of them is only a 88KHz file. Hmm.