On a lighter note....LDR Passives again.

edited September 2011 in Amplifiers
Still thinking on LDR (Light Dependant Resistor) Passive Pre - Amps.

I recall reading the posts of a certain Uriah Dailey on DIYaudio. He is the chap that encourages the braver ones to build their own version of George Stantscheff's Lightspeed attenuator. He now sells a kit (I know not if this is his own interpretation of the design, or a straight Lightspeed) and even assembled kits with big, beefy torroid power supplies. I have heard it uttered that this is (one of) the best implementations of the design....

I have entertained niggling doubts about EVA for a while, she is a phenomenal pre for the money, but only a little way ahead of the more expensive NVA I still have spare. There is a still more expensive NVA, which I don't doubt would show the little EVA up (Docfoster has one of these - I must send him EVA so he can compare them one day when he's sober).

Then I read that Paul Hynes advocates LDRs (whether he sells them I don't know), then I read Colin Wonfor rates them and even favours a green LED....a new vista of insecurity and audiophile geekery opens up before me. Oh the joy [/sarcasm].

I can easily imagine an LDR could be the ultimate passive pre, give how extremely good EVA is for a few hundred pounds. But which way to jump - if at all? The Lighter note is an attractive proposition, I contacted Uriah to ask about it & had several nice replies. In short, think around £320 to get one ready made in a chassis to the UK (my preferred option as I haven't built anything other than an airfix kit my whole life). Just to complicate things further, there will be a remote control version soon, which is attractive to me after having this luxury on EVA.

So, what else should I consider in the world of LDRs before I make another commitment? I open up the floor to the audience.

Comments

• If in doubt Quickie is a great chap and his build standards is superb , If I cant find the PCB I will re-draw and you can the take the Gerber file to a PCB manufactures and print lots. Is that better do not panic we are here to help, and it is easy to do really it only took me 40yrs.
    And now at last they let me put plugs on oh joy of joys.
    Col
  • Well, it's funny you should say that, Alan, but my Eva has gone tits-up again - the other channel, this time.

I'm going down the Paul Hynes Lightspeed route, with a little help from my friend Mr Kempton.

Hopefully we should get this together fairly quickly and be able to report back.
  • Alan/Dave,

My Lightspeed is sitting at home gathering dust at the moment. If either of you want to borrow it please let me know.

James
  • Thanks James

Can I raise my hand on that one, please? 

I'll PM you.
  • Nice one James, that's very good of you. What are you using now?

Perhaps Dave will tell us what he thinks the likeness is between EVA and the Lightspeed?

What's the Hynes kit then Dave? A standard Lightspeed jobbie?

• Nice one James, that's very good of you. What are you using now?

Perhaps Dave will tell us what he thinks the likeness is between EVA and the Lightspeed?

What's the Hynes kit then Dave? A standard Lightspeed jobbie?

Perhaps James will be happy for me to hand it on to you after I've used it.

The Hynes kit has a remote control and uses matched LEDs. I'm trying to order the boards ATM, but haven't heard back from Paul yet. Then I have to order the LEDs from abroad and find a box, PSU and remote control 'box'.

But I have the expertise of Jim on hand. Hooray! :-)
  • edited September 2011

But I have the expertise of Jim on hand. Hooray! :-)
    Trudat! (we miss you, buddy!)

I'll put up a link or two I received from Uriah Dailey, he sent them when I asked about the lighter note & the chassis he uses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-DIY-Case-DAC-Preamplifier-Aluminium-Chassis-/200611626990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5627fee#ht_7052wt_952

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ericyam/m.html

Uriah's favoured seller is the lower link, he thinks the quality is really something special. If you go to his site I linked to earlier, he'll (Uriah) sell you some matched LDRs also - you might invite along to AudioChews like I did while you're there.

If I do make one, be it a Wonfor-note, a Hyne-note of a Dailey-note, I was seriously considering something with a nice bit of wood on the sides and maybe some coloured perspex for the face-plate.

I seriously doubt I could make a Pre-amp, but I want to have a remote (preferably the little apple one like I use now with my EVA) and I also want to follow up on Colin's green suggestion.

I wouldn't even mind cannibalising my EVA in order to get the remote control gubbins. Perhaps I should do as Colin says and give Quickie a shout.
  • Shall give that a look later. Thanks Alan
  • Where abouts are you Alan ? I'm happy to knock up any stuff you want building if your not comfortable doing it.

Looks interesting.Have read a bit but not played around with any LDR stuff.

I've always used the Sfernice P11 cermet pots in passive pre-amps I have built in the past........

Paul.

• Alan,

I've bought a used Audio Note M1 line stage for the princely sum of £375 - a veritable bargain considering how it sounds driving my (active) speakers.   Encouraged by my second foray into valve preamps, I'm contemplating getting a Pure Sound L10 or L300 on demo.  I heard the L300 in a shop recently and it was i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e.  Due to become a Dad in a few weeks so not sure how well buying any more hi-fi gear will go down at the moment - not to mention it will probably get redecorated in baby sick! 

You're more than welcome to try the Lightspeed if you like after Dave's got bored of getting up to adjust the volume by hand 
    :D

James.
  • Anyone know why my posts are appearing with huge spaces that aren't there when I type?  I also noticed that smilies sometimes appear at the bottom of my post rather than where the cursor was.....strange.

James (using safari on a MBP).
  • I'm not sure what's happening with your posts.

I'm using Safari on Lion on a MacBook Air.
  • Cool James - thanks, and I'd love to try the Lightspeed. I am glad you've found something that works so well.

Hi Paul - good to see you. I hope you didn't mind my dropping you a line. I'm down in East Sussex, so not too close - but I'd love to take you up on your kind offer. Have you seen the Lighter note kits Uriah sells?

http://www.buildanamp.com/

I am very intrigued by Colins comments wrt green LEDs also.
  • Don't mind at all Alan.Just send me the bits and I can build for you.Will take a look at kits :)

Paul.

• hi fella's
    quickie did the recap on my claymore for me (hello Paul) and i must say a very good job at that,
    i am keeping an eye on this thread as the LDR has me somewhat intrigued  ,
    all the best,
    matt
  • Hi Alan PCB,s have been lost in the move jumble, I will layout another, best Col

Yes Matt Paul's work is great, solders better than I do, and tidy to, nice.
  • Wow - thanks Colin. Are you sure you have the time?

so how do you rate these LDR passives anyway? Do you use one anymore? One more question if I can - is your layout similar to the lightspeed design?
  • Cool James - thanks, and I'd love to try the Lightspeed. I am glad you've found something that works so well.

Hi Paul - good to see you. I hope you didn't mind my dropping you a line. I'm down in East Sussex, so not too close - but I'd love to take you up on your kind offer. Have you seen the Lighter note kits Uriah sells?

http://www.buildanamp.com/

I am very intrigued by Colins comments wrt green LEDs also.
    Ah. Paul Hynes recommends buying LDRs from Uriah for his remote controlled Lightspeed. Unfortunately, Paul's quoting five weeks for board assembly :-0
  • Ah - OK. He (P H) has been advocating LDRs for a long time, interesting he rates the kits from Uriah.

It will be interesting to see where Colin's board differs (if at all) from the lightspeed.
  • For clarity, PH is only saying buy the matched LDRs from Uriah. I'm not sure where he stands on the rest of the stuff.
  • Sorry al'.
    Still pisshed.
    *hic*