AudioLab

2»

Comments

• We're moving again at the end of the month, so I don't know how long that will curtail my listening in November, but I look forward to trying the lighter note.

The room in this bungalow is the best room I have ever had acoustically. I had to sacrifice some distance between the speakers, but I am sitting good & close - Just a little closer than equilateral. I can really hear all the little changes in the rig with pres, cables & software preferences.
  • Glad to hear the room's good.

It'll be quite a few weeks before we get all the Lightspeed gubbins - Paul Hynes was quoting a 5-6 week lead time - so you'll probably be sorted out at about the time we're ready.
  • Yeh, more dealers have it priced out at £599. Which doesn't bother me as I'm selling the Young for more than that to fund the purchase and I don't begrudge the added cost as it's still well within a respectable price /performance spread.

What is bang out of order though is the way it was announced, or not announced more to the point. No word from John would imply he's been gagged by IAG.
  • Has John ever said why he hasn't just started his own company?
    Keith.
  • edited October 2011
    Not so directly, AFAIK. He has planned to, the DACs that have appeared as Audiolab were going to be his own but it was more attainable for IAG to build it, source the parts etc. I believe he was quite aware that people had been waiting for his design for some years already.

He does plan to release his own version of the design I believe, as well as support & upgrade the Audiolab branded DACs, at least this is what he has said. Good intentions aren't always possible to enact fully, but he'd likely have plenty of support if he did go for it. I reckon you should ask about distributing for him, Keith - you'd both be something of a dream team IMO.
  • Keith, I discussed that very question with him when he came round, the reason he said was quite simple- he's not at all interested in the business end of things. He loves designing but can't be bothered with the thought of running a company. We discussed a few to-market strategies.
  • It would be great if John could make products in the UK or even the EU, rather than add to the trade deficit.
    Personally I don't sell products made in China ,I realise the overidingissue for most is ultimately price.
    KR Keith.
  • Unfortunately I don't think that's a practical solution if you want to offer value for money these days. There are very few fully mechanised pick and place/flow solder facilities in the Uk that could do such low volume at anything approaching competitive pricing.

Eastern Europe however wouldn't be too bad, I have a Europe only hifi.