The Real Lightspeed vs Eva - no monkey bottoms!

2»

Comments

• That's really a question to address to Paul Hynes and the Australian guy (taps side of head to no avail) who designed the original Lightspeed circuit.

I have the boards and I'm assembling them into a piece of hi-fi with the help of my assistant @Jim.
  • George Stanscheff (apologies foe typos)

I wonder if his reticence is due to his sharing Col's KISS ethos, with no switches at all in the signal path. Perhaps a motorized pot would have some noticeable bearing on the power supply?

That sounds weird, but the EVA benefited from a better PSU (no reason why it should), and Col reckons green LDRs are better than red. Its all hoodoo AFAIAC.
  • I'll be addressing the PSU issue at some stage, too.

Tomorrow, we'll be attempting to get it all together and working. The tweaks (and possibly nicer cases) will come along later.
  • i've tried a number of LDR based attenuators/preamps, possibly everything that exist both ready made or aimed for DIY-ers, except for Dartzeel thing and Paul Heynes boards.
    HiFiGeorge's Lightspeed is good as long as you can provide good impedance matching. My experience is that a huge number of power amps simply have no input impedance high enough for the LS which can spit up to 4-5k output impedance out. That's far too high for universal use.
    That and a huge overall variations of output impedance makes use of buffers almost obligatory. You may use a final touch of transparency but you gain amazing solidity and drive no bufferless LDR can have unless you precisely match source and power amp impedances via LDR. 
    my 2-3 cents....
  • All NVA power amps are designed for use with passive pre-amps, so they're great with LDR attenuators.
  • I thought I should give you an update on the Lightspeed construction

We had a late start for various reasons, and then spent hours trying to make sense of how to build the thing. There are notable gaps in the information provided and no step-by-step instructions. We ended up calling Paul Hynes and @Jim renewed his old contact from years back.

We now think we have all the info we need, but we ran out of time.

More follows... ;-)