My MacBook has digital audio in

edited September 2011 in Digital
@Alan. It seems I was wrong.

There is a 'matching' audio in socket, detailed here.

Apple says:

Optical digital audio input is S/PDIF format and uses a standard Toslink cable with a Toslink mini-plug adapter, accepting up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-96kHz sampling rate.

Comments

• I'm not finding much - if anything - about doing this:

TV -> TOSLINK -> Mac -> USB -> DAC

so perhaps it's a case of digging out some cables and sucking it and seeing.

But first, I think I'll investigate Audirvana Plus and see if it'll do that digital volume control thing you were talking about. Without that, it's probably not worth seeing what the Mac can do with the digital audio in.
  • Yes, I doubt Audirvana or anything else would be configured to control the TV output, but I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible.

I wonder if an Apple player/control app of some kind would be more likely to do TV volume without the use of an audiophile app.

It could all be run headless, with the little apple ir remote.

• Hmm. You may be right. I just don't know off the cuff, and I can't find anything on the Web that helps.

I can see some digging around in OS X's more obscure menus coming up.
  • I think it would only work (if at all) through something like front row, which would mean effectively using my mini like an apple TV.
  • I don't know.

I think I won't know until I've tried it.