OBs Chez uglymusic?

2»

Comments

• I've made some small modifications to Dave's OBs
    =)) =))

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/mjkempton/daveobsmodified.jpg
    Could be totally wrong here Jim but you might just have slightly overdone those mods !
  • I was thinking I got it about right
    :-))
  • The model of restraint, as always...
  • Going to collect the mk1s this afternoon. Can't fit the others in the car :-(
    =)) =))

Ridiculous set up.

That chair Is far to close.
    ;-)
    =)) =))

Ridiculous set up.

That chair Is far to close.
    ;-)
    Ha! Didn't notice that
    :))
  • Well, they're here.

And they're the pickiest pair of speakers I've ever had the pleasure of driving.

Leave it with me guys. I have a lot to do...
  • Very exciting, I hope you have fun!
  • Well, they're certainly different.

Where you normally plop a pair of speakers down and then move them around a bit until they sound OK, with these you've got to do all that and adjust the EQ and try putting cloth round the back of the driver and so on.

Oh, and I'm doing all this while running in a pair of speaker cables.

Too many blinkin' variables, I say.

But I'm getting there, I think. Slowly.
  • Glad to hear it, though it sounds like you are gong to be fettling for some time! How about a picture in situ?
  • Yup. I'll get the pix done as well.

They're more than a bit prototypey, so they go perfectly with my TDSs :-)
  • Dave, sounds like you're part of the R&D team.
    Hope jim's paying you well...
    ;-)
  • edited March 2012
    A few design pointers about the OBs @Jim has built for me:
    • They had to be as near as possible to the footprint and volume of the RR3s on their stands
    • OBs normally have large baffles to get sufficient bass extension. I just don't have the space
    • In recent years, the concept of 'full-range' drivers has given way to 'wide-range'. In other words, no-one expects a single driver to do all the work from bottom to top - Jim's Lowthers need a little help at the bottom end, for example ;-)
    • My OBs have just one driver per channel - no we're not mad!
    • My rig now has no crossovers - active or passive
    • The Supravox drivers in my OBs are known to extend well towards the bass end, but most people agree that they need a (super)tweeter at the top end
    • Instead of adding drive units and extra electronics, I'm boosting the bass and the high treble using digital EQ. And that's where the fiddling is coming in
    ;-)
    I think it's the other way round. I should be paying Jim for his expertise, experience and the use of his kit!
  • Very cutting edge intriguing project Dave. So there is no pre-amp or crossovers in the chain - very minimalistic indeed.

Will follow it closely.

ps is that Tellurium Ultra Blacks you are running in btw ?

;-)
    I think it's the other way round. I should be paying Jim for his expertise, experience and the use of his kit!
    FOC :)
  • Very cutting edge intriguing project Dave. So there is no pre-amp or crossovers in the chain - very minimalistic indeed.

Will follow it closely.

ps is that Tellurium Ultra Blacks you are running in btw ?

Thanks Mervyn

It seems to me that there are some components in an all-digital rig that are a hangover from vinyl - e.g. the pre-amp - and other components whose function may be better achieved digitally - e.g. crossovers. Or perhaps even a different approach to speaker design, such as Jim came up with here. These components can usefully be ditched IMHO.

I'm really working on 'the best component is no component' here.

Yup. The speaker cables are the Ultra Blacks, and very good they are, too. I wondered when someone would notice I'd edited my signature :-)

In this kind of minimalist rig, I think everything in the signal chain has to be considered, so I have Paul (@PAC) lined up to make me some more custom phono-to-SMA cables using even better components and 
    cabling than he did for me last year. They'll be ordered once I've got what I have in the rig now working as I want it to.
    ;-)
    FOC :)
    Thank you ;-)
  • It seems to me that there are some components in an all-digital rig that are a hangover from vinyl - e.g. the pre-amp - and other components whose function may be better achieved digitally - e.g. crossovers.
    ^This.
    At least it's a good general point. Time will tell just which components can be taken over digitally.
  • Just a quick update. I haven't had too long to play with the OBs this evening, so I've decided to stop messing with EQ and just play some music.

I'm starting to think there could be something special here.

One test will be going back to the Royds.
  • edited March 2012
    Taking orders yet Jim? Baa... ;)

Would love to hear them sometime when you're happy with them Dave, if you're so inclined...

• Of course. Taking bookings...
  • Alan, I love building stuff. If you want some just ask!
  • Alan, I love building stuff. If you want some just ask!
    Thanks Jim :-bd  I'll have a listen to Dave's sometime so I can 'learn' what they do. Have you heard Dave's Royds? I'm using the same and rate them (I suppose I ought to say "for a box speaker"!) and it would be interesting to know what else is out there. My dream is exactly what I have, but more efficient, with more scale.

It would interesting to see what can be done.

• No problem.  I've heard Dave's stuff a few times and used Minstrels for a while so am familiar with the Royd sound.

Efficiency is always good - less distortion for one thing.  But there are other advantages.

Scale is a difficult one to get into.
  • Scale is somewhere the OBs win over the Royds, without a shadow of a doubt.

They also hammer the Royds on efficiency, which may lead to problems with volume control in the digital domain, according to some people. That is another tin of earth movers, though.
  • JimJim
    edited March 2012
    I'm not sure what scale means in a HiFi context. I've heard speakers described as "doing scale" and all I've heard was loud - no comment on quality.

What do people mean by scale?
  • edited March 2012
    It's nothing to do with loudness or sound quality. It's to do with presenting instruments and performers in a believable way in relation to each other and the sound space set up in your room. I'm assuming you have a large sound space set up in your room.
  • Yeah, 'room filling' I guess. My speaks' give a scaled down but accurate (imo) facsimile of a live performance, I'd be looking to retain all those good points but have a more palpable sense of 'scale'.
  • Good news on the OB front. The Supravox drivers can be repaired for considerably less than the price of two new drive units.

They'll be off to France in the not-too-distant future.

Maybe I shouldn't say this within Jim's earshot, but maybe if digital armageddon had to happen it was as well the Royds didn't get fried. There are no parts available any more.
  • Trudat! Not a happy outcome in any event, but at least a repair is on the horizon.
  • Good news on the OB front. The Supravox drivers can be repaired for considerably less than the price of two new drive units.

They'll be off to France in the not-too-distant future.

Maybe I shouldn't say this within Jim's earshot, but maybe if digital armageddon had to happen it was as well the Royds didn't get fried. There are no parts available any more.
    That did occur to me last night after you phoned. 

Sacrificial Supravox has a nice ring to it don't you think

=)) =))
  • edited March 2012
    Maybe we could have a little plaque made up for the front of each completed speaker:

Sacrificial Supravox Mk2
  • Working on it.....
  • edited March 2012
    I've made some small modifications to Dave's OBs
    =)) =))

Good Lord, is that what happens when you can't decide which driver to choose - use all of them at once!

• Now there's a thought.

I could probably make one of those with the stuff I have laying around!
  • @Jim. Have you seen the acrylic baffles used in the pair of OBs on eBay? (See eBay thread)

Any thoughts about using acrylic on mine?
  • Thorsten Loesch made a pair with acrylic and Supravox drivers. It generated a huge thread on Diy Audio a few years back. I heard them at a show when he made them commercially. Pretty good actually.

I'd forgotten all about them!

Acrylic is fairly light and pretty self damped so no reason why it won't work well.

Should be quite transparent =))
  • Owwww!!!!

I'm thinking wider and transparent...
  • Looks like we'll be doing some wooden mock-ups and then later costing some acrylic baffles.