OSx Optimisation

edited November 2011 in Digital
-Boring!   I know, I know - but consider this: Would someone as earth shatteringly cool as myself, who positively oozes street-cred (must stop oozing), risk an accusation of nerd-dom, however fanciful, if this wasn't important? So this has to be important.

First of all, the important bit: The linky. Go to the 'Optimisation Guide for Apple OSx' section, on the left.

I never really did the pimping of the MAC, but Ted_B (late of this parish) recommended this page on Computer Audiophile. It has some simple tweaks that are applied in system preferences, and some easy terminal commands (that are undo-able). I have applied the tweaks tonight and am very pleased indeed. It's all to do with turning processes off that aren't needed for music playback.

We all know these things shouldn't make any difference (I just thought I'd pre-empt that one!), but we all use aftermarket bit-perfect music players instead of iTunes (also bit-perfect), so maybe it's worth investigating?..

To be fair, I'm not really familiar with my new lounge's sound yet, but I was previously quite disappointed with it; Also, I finally paid for Audirvana+, which ran out during my moving period. Maybe the improvements are a result of these factors, but maybe tweakery has played a part too.

Has anyone else done these tweaks (with a stable system & room), who could report any benefits or otherwise?

Anyway, I had idly wished there was any easy one stop shop for optimising OSx for ages - and here it is.

Comments

• I've done some, but not all of these. It's difficult to say any one tweak has had a significant effect, but I have a feeling that as a group, they are worthwhile.

I guess my attitude is, it's easy enough to do the tweaks, so why not do them?
  • I've done some, but not all of these. It's difficult to say any one tweak has had a significant effect, but I have a feeling that as a group, they are worthwhile.

I guess my attitude is, it's easy enough to do the tweaks, so why not do them?
    Yup - that's pretty much my POV as well. I was pleased to see a way of turning off Finder amongst the list. The whole lot took about 10 mins tops.
  • But no revelations?
  • I didn't do them individually - I thoroughly enjoyed the system afterwards, read into that what you will....There is a palpable sense of progress in the main system right now, a new room is a big part of that. I reckon the other changes have had a cumulative effect too.

Just to upset the applecart some more, I am trialling some new speaker cable too. It's black.