Mac digi out to USB in on Dacmagic

edited December 2010 in Digital
I've finally got round to utilising the optical digital out on my MacBook into my Dacmagic (thanks Alan - it sounds fab!). Thing is, I've got it running into input 2 on the DM but would like to use the USB input to free up that 2nd input for my Squeezebox (I use the 1st input via coax from my DVD player).

Is there a way of using the USB socket, or indeed the digital audio 'out' on the Mac to the USB 'in' on the DM?

Thanks for any info about the hardware I'd need.

Oh...I've gone into the midi application and put everything onto total mega everything turbo nutter audio output...or something like that (the DM picks it up as a 96k input).

Comments

• Damn - That would have good as a forum name!
     total mega everything turbo nutter audio output...
  • edited December 2010
    As regards the USB thing - any USB printer cable will do just fine - the audiomidi will pick it up & the MAC will output as usual. Which is good, as I was emphatically unimpressed by the mini-optical output from my MAC!

Something like this really.
    If you don't have one the a quid or two on ebay will be the answer. This is a standard printer cable, I think. I'd have sent you mine, but I'd either not be able to print, or listen to music...
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Alan - I've tried using the USB cable (nabbed the one from my printer) and the DM recognises the digital input, the incoming signal light illuminating. Thing is, there's no sound at all. Using the optical out on the MacBook it works fine into the optical in on the DM, as stated before.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Perhaps I need to change something in the midi settings?

• Hmmm - I am not (MAC) expert, but you seem to have the source selected to 'internal speakers'. Could that be it?
  • Actually, I would have thought (yes, really!) that a USB device should be showing on the window to the left in audiomidi. I am sure the DM just showed up there by itself when I used it.
  • The 'internal speakers' is the only setting available within that drop-down. Thing is, sound works fine when using the digital/optical out (the headphones output doubles up as an optical out - just need the toslink/minijack adaptor).

Je suis sightly baffled. :?
  • Silence from a Mac generally means one of two things. 

The Sound drop-down is wrongly selected. If there are no alternatives, could there be a driver to download from somewhere?

Otherwise, leave the USB cable plugged in and the DAC switched on and power down the Mac, then boot it up again. I had to do this earlier with my Mac mini after it had been powered down over Christmas.
  • Thanks Dave - got it sussed now, went into 'sound' in the system preferences and on plugging in the USB cable the output option 'USB-headphone set' or some such came up. Click on that and we now have sound - pretty damn good sound too!

Je suis un happy lapin again. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Ah - the classic IT support advice: "Let's try a little re-boot then, shall we?"

Well done Richard! I thought the mid-range was really quite good over USB into the DM - markedly better than coax or optical...
  • Quite an interesting exercise this Alan - the Mac outputs 48k/16 bit via USB but will go up to 96k/24 bit via optical. Thing is, I think the USB sounds better although it'll need a litte more time listening and comparing to make sure.

It's nearly as much fun as fiddlng with turntables this. :)
  • I think that 'DAC rolling' within a price bracket is like swapping cartridges - more about character than ability, and changing to a higher price/performance DAC is like changing a TT.
  • Thanks Dave - got it sussed now, went into 'sound' in the system preferences and on plugging in the USB cable the output option 'USB-headphone set' or some such came up. Click on that and we now have sound - pretty damn good sound too!

Je suis un happy lapin again. :)
    Great. 

Unlike Windows, there ain't many places to look and fiddle in OS X 
    :)
  • Gromit Hi, if you like I can send you an M2Tech Hiface to try, the hiface is a USB s/pdif converter which will let you play 24/192, it electrically isolates and it's two crystal oscillators reclock the signal, it should bring an improvement.
    Very Best,Keith.
  • Hi Keith - that's really kind of you, thanks.

I'm wondering how well this will work, as the Dacmagic accepts anything up to 96k coming in, and upsamples to 192k. Having 192 coming in before it gets to work could make for an interesting prospect - will the DM sound better as it's not having to upsample the incoming signal?

Clearly I know next to nothing about this digital lark, so any advice is very welcome! All I'll say for now is that with the Mac outputting 48k via USB into the DM the system is sounding fantastic - better than I'd hoped it would. I'm genuinely hearing stuff I've never noticed before. :)
  • Grommet Hi, I really don't know enough about the DacMagic , generally I prefer to listen to files in their native format, the hiface will allow you to play 24/192 ( if your DAC can ) it has a small isolation transformer and two crysyptal oscillators to reclock and produce a low jitter signal.
    Best thing as always is to try it and form an opinion.
    Keith.
  • It's very good, I borrowed Dave's for a while. It would let you use the SPDIF input on the DM from the USB on your 'puter, which is reportedly better than straight USB.
  • Thanks Alan - so far, even though the MacBook can only summon 16bit/48k via USB, I still prefer it to using the 24/96 from the optical out. Whizzing the USB up to 24/192 sounds like it should be quite an improvement.
  • In my very limited experience, the Apple optical output is very poor, though I only have a mini. When I first connected my mac to my DAC over toslink, I really was quite disappointed. I would not have adopted computer audio on the strength of that first experience, in fact my CD transport was considerably nicer to listen to. Interestingly, quite a few others have said similar wrt Apple optical - Keith @ Purite being a notable example.

USB was far better, HiFace even more so (especially with the DM, I suspect) as I used a supersoundpipe as a digital I/C, which was excellent. Any NVA I/C can be used as for digi coax.