Bellowhead

edited November 2011 in Live music
My brother's taking me to see this lot in Derby tonight.
...Listening to their album "Hedonism" in preparation.
I'm getting a bit excited...
Anyone here seen 'em live?

Comments

• Funny. As soon as I saw the thread heading, I knew it'd be you :-)

Only on the box. I imagine they'd be great live.
  • Am at gig. Support act 'Ahab' are as expected: young, pretentious and devilishly good looking.
    Am fitting in well.
    ;-)
  • Main act on. Any band that opens set with sousaphone, bagpipes, squeezebox and saucepan gets my vote.
  • "Any band..."?

Shirley not!
  • I wrote what I meant Alan.
    And I stand by it.

\:D/
  • The gig was enjoyable. I have no emotional attachment to that genre of music, even less this particular band. My enjoyment of music is often handicapped by such an absence of affinity. However, Bellowhead live are so entertaining and fun I found the gig very pleasurable. Important to note that their up tempo stuff is more immediately accessible, and I was left a little cold by some of their more pensive numbers.
    Every member of the band is incredibly gifted musically (in some cases with more than 1 instrument) which from my amateur muso point of view adds interest, and admiration, although can also appear a bit wanky at the same time.
    Their music revels in its British folk roots, everything from 16th century tunes, to 19th century sea shanties to more recent stuff, all of which is washed in Bellowhead's fresh contemporary style: The use of a sousaphone to deliver a throbbing, but agile and funky disco bass riff brought an especially wide grin to my face.
    Overall I give Bellowhead 7/10 live. Moreover, their live performance is more enjoyable than their 'Hedonism' CD, which is also worth a listen.