Please introduce yourself

edited January 2012 in Say hello
Please tell us about yourself and your hi-fi system and/or musical tastes.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Hi from UglyMusic, named after my notorious (in some circles) music collection.

I listen to a lot of free/avant garde jazz, along with some rock, electronica, funk, world and classical music on two systems:

Main system:
    Mac mini G4/iTunes
    KingRex UD-01 SE DAC and Power Supply
    Drobo for storage
    NVA Statement passive pre
    NVA TDS Mk1 monoblocks
    Royd RR3 loudspeakers
    NVA interconnects and loudspeaker cables
    Cryoparts USB Cable II interconnect and Item Audio DC power lead
    Control from MacBook Air, iPhone or iPod Touch

Office system:
    27" Core 2 Duo iMac
    Pioneer A400X integrated amp
    Mission 761 louspeakers
    NVA interconnects
    Back of the cupboard loudspeaker cables
    All fed by the same Drobo

Yep. I'm 100% streaming digital and 100% CD before that.

Dave

• Hi ,my name is Keith Cooper, ( coops) I own Purite Audio ,I am a dealer but I would like to think I still have my integrity!
    I hope Audio Chews has a bright future.
    Keith.
  • Forgot to mention my system, horns are always here ( to big to move ) a small 10 watt class A single ended amp and at the moment a Trinnov room correction box which is my preamp I use a MacBook Pro as source.
    Keith.
  • Hi Keith and welcome.

Which horns?
  • I hope Audio Chews has a bright future.
    Thanks Keith
  • Music taste is very wide, pretty much anything.  I've a particular penchant for jazz, blues and folk (preferably acoustic) and much less rock than it used to be.

Far too much kit to list it all I'm afraid.

Currently in use is:
    Garrard 401 in Torlyte plinth
    Rebuilt RB250 arm and upgraded Decca Maroon
    Musical Fidelity LPs Phono Stage
    Musical Fidelity X-Pre
    UCD Class D amps in DIY build
    Lowther EX4's and Eminence 15" Betas in a DIY Open Baffle
    Cables are a mixture of Kimber and DIY solid silver
    Also for convenience a Linux laptop running into a DAC Magic II.

• My musical tastes: Funk, jazz, good hip-hop, female vox, indie, electro and ambient.
    System:
    NVA Cube 1
    NVA TSS Mk3
    NVA P90SA
    Sony S760 BDP
    Musical Fidelity A3 24 192k DAC
    Pioneer PL-71 with Decca Super Gold
    NVA Phono 2
    All NVA cabling.

I work as a teacher in a pupil referral centre (school for excluded kids).

Ben
  • I have a relatively brief history with Hi-Fi, only buying my own kit about 5 years ago when the hand-me-downs from Dad gave up the ghost. He had a pretty respectable system actually; an early memory for me is spending a day in Phase 3 Hi-Fi in Worthing while the owner re-arranged the whole shop & blasted the neighbours with Big Band jazz...

My music tastes are under-developed & limited, but I appreciate most things. Dad left me with a taste for stomping Big Bands of Basie's ilk - to this day my desert island disc is Sinatra & Basie live at the sands. I have a love for blues & most folky-type music, particularly bluegrass. At the moment I am going through a Lyle Lovett phase, as I love the way he tells a story with wit & charm. His records are musically superb also, with great production. I also remain a bit of a rock monster, and a lover of all things New Orleans.

My system gets little dedicated use at the moment due to a large young family, but the current state of play is as follows:

2009 MAC mini (fed by NAS over ethernet)

AyreWave

Beresford Caiman DAC with Gator (on borrowed time?) - DACs have been in flux for the past year.

NVA P90 passive pre

NVA TSS mkII stereo amplifier

Royd Revelation RR3 speakers

NVA supersoundpipe & LS5 cabling throughout

Belkin PF-40 mains thingy for everything but the amp.

My system plays music pretty nicely - that's all there is to it really. I hope it gives some of the best of both the flat & the round earth - I have heard examples of both genres that are one-trick ponies. I want it all...within reason. and budget.
  • Hi Keith and welcome.

Which horns?
    Thanks Jim, they are made by a friend of mine in Germany, Cessaro Horn Acoustics, there are some photos here , www.puriteaudio.co.uk
    Keith.
  • Compression drivers, nice.  And the wooden horns look fantastic.

Bit pricey I expect?
  • Yes ,not helped by the collapse of Sterling, there are a few posters on HiFi Wigwam who have made their own and they appear to be getting decent results, so it doesn't have to cost fortune.
    Keith.
  • Does that mean the design is available or is a kit for sale?

I'm half a horn person.  I love the impact and drive they give but having used OBs for so long now I can't abide the colouration particularly across the mid band.

I've never heard compression drivers, never had the opportunity.  But I've heard many front horns which suffer distortion much less than folded back horns.
  • Horns ( straight horns at least) don't have to sound coloured, that is just bad design and implementation
    proper horns are just extremely dynamic and IMHO just more real than any other design.
    Keith.
  • Hi all and thanks to Ben for the invitation to join.

There is very little music that I dislike - I can even listen to free jazz if the mood takes me :)

I collect audio equipment and probably have more stuff here than you'd find in a shop. Lots of classic brit stuff but also old heavyweight Japanese receivers, but main everyday system is:

Rega P9/RB1000/Tecnoweight
    Audio Technica AT33PTG
    Home built tube phono stage (or the one built into the pre amp)

Macbook Pro/Audiosmile DEQ DAC/ADC for streaming and committing A to D.
    This Macbook is fitted with a 1TB HD and contains around 1300 albums stored in Apple Lossless.

Quad 34/405-2 amplification. I've completely rebuilt these with great results.

Quad FM4 for FM.

Quad ESL57s completely rebuilt.

Wires - I built my own from good quality stuff designed for pro use.

I should also declare that I assist Audiosmile though not on a paid basis - it isn't my day job :)

• Hi Rob and welcome.
  • Hello Rob, great to have you here. I hope we can make something good here.
  • I am very happy to have been invited by Ben to join this forum, and to see some friendly names here too.  I'm a bit of a subjectivist, and like to think that I'm open-minded about anything audio.  That's possibly why I have ended up with this somewhat eclectic system:

Kenwood KD-770D turntable with Ittok LVII arm and Benz Micro SL, Audio Origami tonearm cable

Thorens TD124 - work in progress at the moment but sounds promising

PS Audio GCPH phono stage (shortly to be joined/replaced by a Paul Hynes Veron Concert phono amp)

Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT

Lyngdorf CD1 uased as transport only

Lyngdorf TDA-2200 true digital amp, fitted with 24/96 ADC Card

Avalon NP2.0 speakers on Stillpoints Component Stands

Stillpoints ESS Rack, and various Stillpoints support cones too

MIT Shotgun RCA digital interconnect

Ixos speaker cables - the ones that beat my MIT AVtS1 cables at the London Bake-Off Show!

Kimber Silver Streak, Mark Grant RCA cables

HiFace Evo asynchronous interface, fed from a Zotac mini-PC.  Both these are powered by Paul Hynes Design PSUs.

Spare cartridges include Kontrapunkt B and AT33PTG (both presently being re-tipped by Expert Stylus Company)

Mains stuff that some of you may have seen at the bake-off show includes a PS Audio Power Plant Premier and quite a lot of Vertex AQ mains leads.

Oh, and some Shun Mook Mpingo discs too!  I also have an extensive collection of Bert Kaempfert LPs

I do like tinkering with vinyl, but I'm very keen to get a good sound out of the Zotac mini-PC and HiFace Evo, so it's good to see Uglymusic here, as he's ahead of me in computer audio.  The Evo is brand new so needs bedding in, so I'm going to let it sit and run in for a few weeks before getting serious.

:-
  • Hello Hugo - great you could join in. You have a lot of interesting gear there - have you been playing at this hooby for long?
  • I am very happy to have been invited by Ben to join this forum, and to see some friendly names here too.  I'm a bit of a subjectivist, and like to think that I'm open-minded about anything audio.  That's possibly why I have ended up with this somewhat eclectic system:

Kenwood KD-770D turntable with Ittok LVII arm and Benz Micro SL, Audio Origami tonearm cable

Thorens TD124 - work in progress at the moment but sounds promising

PS Audio GCPH phono stage (shortly to be joined/replaced by a Paul Hynes Veron Concert phono amp)

Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT

Lyngdorf CD1 uased as transport only

Lyngdorf TDA-2200 true digital amp, fitted with 24/96 ADC Card

Avalon NP2.0 speakers on Stillpoints Component Stands

Stillpoints ESS Rack, and various Stillpoints support cones too

MIT Shotgun RCA digital interconnect

Ixos speaker cables - the ones that beat my MIT AVtS1 cables at the London Bake-Off Show!

Kimber Silver Streak, Mark Grant RCA cables

HiFace Evo asynchronous interface, fed from a Zotac mini-PC.  Both these are powered by Paul Hynes Design PSUs.

Spare cartridges include Kontrapunkt B and AT33PTG (both presently being re-tipped by Expert Stylus Company)

Mains stuff that some of you may have seen at the bake-off show includes a PS Audio Power Plant Premier and quite a lot of Vertex AQ mains leads.

Oh, and some Shun Mook Mpingo discs too!  I also have an extensive collection of Bert Kaempfert LPs

I do like tinkering with vinyl, but I'm very keen to get a good sound out of the Zotac mini-PC and HiFace Evo, so it's good to see Uglymusic here, as he's ahead of me in computer audio.  The Evo is brand new so needs bedding in, so I'm going to let it sit and run in for a few weeks before getting serious.

:-
    Hi Hugo. Glad you could join.

What an amazing list of kit!
  • Ah, another vinyl tweaker.  Happy Days

Welcome Hugo
  • Ah, another vinyl tweaker.  Happy Days

Someone had better explain that to me someday  :-"
  • I couldn't possibly comment...
  • Actually, I'm itching to hear your system, as your Garrard seemed to be doing some great things rhythm-wise at the show. 
  • You're more than welcome - but you're not tweaking my vinyl :)
  • Ooh-er missus.

I wouldn't dream of such a thing 
    :">
  • hello guys , my name's sergio i wrote from milan , italy , ciao a tutti !
    s.
  • Hi Sergio

Glad you made it!
  • Hi Sergio and welcome
  • thank you guys !
    ciao
    s.
  • I'm glad you made it, Sergio - can you think of something to say? We're all a bit quiet this week!
  • Hi.  My name is Jerry..  I am a classical music fan, mainly, and an unashamed hifi box-swapper.

Alan invited me to join, so you can blame him. :)

• Hi Jerry and welcome
  • Hi Jerry,

your first post leads me to believe you see this as a self-help group...

You are very welcome, and we'll help you through this in any way we can!
    :p
  • Hi.  My name is Jerry..  I am a classical music fan, mainly, and an unashamed hifi box-swapper.

Alan invited me to join, so you can blame him. :)

Hi Jerry

I'm always glad to blame @Alan ;
    :-D
  • edited December 2010
    Hello from Macnugget, named after my our two lovely (Mac is no longer with us) welsh springers. Thanks Alan for inviting me to this new forum.

Stephen
  • Welcome Macnugget

I hope you're enjoying Christmas!
  • Welcome indeed, seasons greetings
  • Thanks guys!

I listen to all sorts of music in particular good female vocals with decent recordings, also likes a lot of the 80's stuff.

Just got rid of my beloved CD player and moving towards digital streaming route as soon as the new dac arrive.

Have had 30 plus pairs of speakers over the last three four years due to a very understanding wife

I now realised this is a very subjective hobby and still believe there is a type of system's sound that would please 75% of audophiles out there. The warmish sound that I was familiar with in the 80's.

Stephen
  • You really want a warm sound this time of year...
  • Hi everyone :)

My name's Gromit and I'm a plastiscene dog...er hang on a mo...

My real name's Richard, and I've been a hifi nut/bodger/wrecker/geek since I was about 5 years old when my dad got his first system. I got my own rig in about 1978 consisting of hand-me-downs from the old man. I've been a professional clarinettist for the last 27 years and do a bit of teaching now and again...plus I'm a reasonably incompetent pianist and conductor.

My current system is...

Turntables:

Thorens TD150 Mk1/SME 3009 (non-imp)
    Rega P7

Cartridges:

Stilton P77 (in need of a re-tip)
    Audio Note IQ3
    Grado Prestige Black 1

Amplifier:

Inca Tech Claymore

Digital stuff:

Pioneer DV-444 DVD player as a transport
    Squeezebox 3
    MacBook running USB out into...
    CA DacMagic

Speakers:

Royd Merlins

The rig's somewhat in a state of flux - I totally upset its balance about 9 months ago and whilst the digital side of things is going well, I really need to get my *rse in gear and sort the turntable. Bottom line is a miss direct drive....next year's going to be fun, I hope. :)
  • Hi Richard

Welcome on board. I was quite keen to try out the Inca amp myself and never had a chance to listen to them before, so what are they like? What amps did you tried before you settle on the Inca? I know they were designed to better the Nait at the time.

• Hello ..Ben Invited me , so here I am
  • OH yeah ..I'm also an Avondale helper mokey
  • Hi Jon - welcome to this most pleasant little corner of the www. :)

MacNugget - the Claymore's a little bit of a find to be honest. I can remember a certain Mr Frankland going ga-ga over it many years ago in that erstwhile publication 'The Flat Response' and whilst always taking his (very narrow minded) view of the hifi world with a pinch of salt, I often wondered how good this amp would be.

I've owned a fair few Farlow-era Exposure amps and a few Naims over the years, and to own another amp from the mid-80's school of the British Black Box would be a bit of fun. I haven't regretted buying it - it's got a reasonable amount of power (50w/ch) and can summon a fair head of steam. It hasn't got the grip or control of my previous set up (Exposure XXIRC/Super XVIII monos) but it's sweeter, quite lyrical but with excellent bass - full, but with good pitch definition; a very important factor for me. For 200 quid (and this one's in nigh on mint condition) it's been a very good buy. :)
  • Hi Jon

Glad you could come along. 

I'm assuming you have a bundle of Avondale kit... Or do you?

• This forum needs a DIY section , without it , its like having no money in a shop
  • Good idea, Jon.

I've set one up for you.
  • "I'm Assuming you have a bundle of Avondale kit" .... sure do Mr Uglymusic ... ACD3 , GRAD1/TPX2 , M2B

monos and REV1 speakers ..the rest of the kit is HYperspace TT/Ekos/ArkivB into a TE groove.

Thanks for the DIY section

• No probs. I'm interested to see what you'll post there. I'm not really a DIYer.
  • Hi Jon - welcome to this most pleasant little corner of the www. :)

MacNugget - the Claymore's a little bit of a find to be honest. I can remember a certain Mr Frankland going ga-ga over it many years ago in that erstwhile publication 'The Flat Response' and whilst always taking his (very narrow minded) view of the hifi world with a pinch of salt, I often wondered how good this amp would be.

I've owned a fair few Farlow-era Exposure amps and a few Naims over the years, and to own another amp from the mid-80's school of the British Black Box would be a bit of fun. I haven't regretted buying it - it's got a reasonable amount of power (50w/ch) and can summon a fair head of steam. It hasn't got the grip or control of my previous set up (Exposure XXIRC/Super XVIII monos) but it's sweeter, quite lyrical but with excellent bass - full, but with good pitch definition; a very important factor for me. For 200 quid (and this one's in nigh on mint condition) it's been a very good buy. :)
    Hi Gromit

The Inca is the one in my wanted list at the moment along side with Lentek Integrated, Exposure X, NVA Integrated and pre power combo, Naim 72/140.

How is the Inca compare to the Naim stuff?