Please introduce yourself

Comments

• Sorry, should have said I'm Dave.

Sounds as if it should be good! Not that I have any up-to-date knowledge about analogue. Oops! 
  • Hello how long have you had the beasty?
  • Have you gone all Rabbie Burns on us, Col?
  • edited August 2017
    Hello,

I've been into Hifi for 10 years now always upgrading into Naim equipment. I listen all types of music but classic and opera, especially pop rock, accoustic and jazz.

My home system is:
    HiFI: NAC 252-supercap2/Nap 300/ CDS3-XPS2/ module Viard silver HD / B&W 802N/ cables HP MPC Abyss evo/ barrette QB8 + Frey2 + red dawns

HC: Lexicon MC12B V.EQ/ Nap V175/ BD Yamaha 1067S/ Velodyne DD15

I am now into upgrading my speaker cables. I am into several paths TQ green, UB or EWA LS25. Been told TQ green had been designed specially for naim so looks like best option but LS25 is quite tempting.
  • Hi Shawn!
    Welcome.
    Dave (Uglymusic) will be glad to have another jazzer on the team!
    Never tried TQ Green myself, but others here have (I think), tho possibly not with Naim. Plenty of Wonfor acolytes on the forum. :-)
  • edited December 2017
    Hello I am new here my cousin Colin I said I should visit, so HI all.
  • Hi June.
    You’re very welcome. :-)
    I see a little info about your cables from your FS post. What else is going on in your kit...?
    (I’m assuming you’re a member of the (Colin) Wonfor clan...)
  • Hi Doc,

He is my second cousin by marriage, and he is nuts sorry Cuz he he 
  • I have a Red Claymore, Inca Tech made only a few, they are with Red Diamonds and a  Red Dais, in my reading room here in the Lakes.
  • Hi June

Another Claymore owner! Now I'm really feeling in the minority :-)
  • I have just asked Colin to send me a new one.
    Can;t wait, Hubby heard it this week and came home in tears of joy, silly old fart.

• June said:
    I have just asked Colin to send me a new one.
    Can;t wait, Hubby heard it this week and came home in tears of joy, silly old fart.

Another quote for the publicity material... :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    June said:

Another quote for the publicity material... :-)
    ROFLMAO!
  • edited January 2018
    Hi All, Ben joined us on The Audio Standard a few days ago, so I thought it only polite to reciprocate.  I've been a music lover since my teens and now have the system of my early dreams, including a great room to put it in.  I'm also a founder administrator of The Audio Standard forum.

I'll do the sig thing in a moment so that you can see what I'm using.  Looking forward to joining in.
  • MartinT said:
    Hi All, Ben joined us on The Audio Standard a few days ago, so I thought it only polite to reciprocate.  I've been a music lover since my teens and now have the system of my early dreams, including a great room to put it in.  I'm also a founder administrator of The Audio Standard forum.

I'll do the sig thing in a moment so that you can see what I'm using.  Looking forward to joining in.
    Martin, Hi.
    Lovely to see you here.
    Make yourself at home. :-)
    Looking at your sig’, you’ve got your sources base covered. Dave (Uglymusic) will be pleased to see another Pi here.
    I’ve liked the Usher speakers i’ve heard, but haven’t ever been able to spend much time with them. What would you say are the things you like most about them?
  • The Ushers, where to start?  Unless I hit the lottery, they're pretty much my final speakers.  Big and heavy, they do everything at least to a good standard and many things, like scale, magnificently.  The beryllium midrange and tweeters have great detail, but are not harsh.  Twin 11" Kevlar woofers per side give a sense of structure to the sound, and are fast enough to keep up with the other drivers.  I don't need a sub with these speakers, they do organ pedals very nicely and move serious air on music like Yello.

More than anything, they are musical and get out of the way, not imparting tonal aberrations or failing on imaging.  I love that I can just sit and fall into the music, which is probably the best thing I can say about them.
  • Hi Martin

And welcome to Chews. All RPi users are extra welcome here, where these days I need some moral support :-)

An SACD player is one of those things I from time to time think about. Do you get much use from it?
  • I've moved the ensuing discussion to the Digital section.
  • Johnj said:
    Hi
    I followed a link from Colin onto this site and it seems quite friendly 
    I have Open Baffles that I made myself and at present use a PC for play back 
    Amps are a mixture of active (bass) and direct digital (mid/treble)
    I also have a T/T but not in use at present 
    John
    Those open baffle speakers John has, are so so good, I heard them last year in a less than ideal location for them, but they sang so well.
  • OK guys he is a spy , all hide quick,------------------------------ Hi Paul have fun
  • Hah! John's here, too. Hi John!
  • June said:

Hang on, just writing this down....
  • Hi, this is "peranders" but I have unfortunately misspelled my email address so I can't confirm. Anyone who know how to get in contact with an administrator? I have sent a message to uglymusic without any reaction.
  • edited July 2018
    Hi.
    I’m not sure how the process works.
    You’re not confirmed but are able to post and change your username?
    Anyway, you’d like to be removed, and then start over...?
    If so, I think I can do that as a moderator.
    Or I can edit your email address, if you message me with the correct one.
    Please confirm and I will attempt to delete you.
  • edited July 2018
    The user account peranders shall have a "m" instead of "n" in the email address. Can you fix that or simply delete "peranders" and I'll do the registration once again?
  • The user account peranders shall have a "m" instead of "n" in the email address. Can you fix that or simply delete "peranders" and I'll do the registration once again?
    Ah. Understood.
    I don't think that as a moderator I can access the accounts of users who are not confirmed. So at present I am unable to amend of delete your pending account. 
    Uglymusic is the administrator here, so I would imagine that he has the necessary privileges.
    Hopefully, he'll be along presently.
    I will PM him myself in an attempt to expedite things.
    We'll get this sorted for you ASAP.
  • Hi, Thank you for fixing my problem. Otherwise, glad to be here. Work with automotive electronics daytime and diy audio as a spare-time hobby.
  • No problem, P-A. Welcome to Chews.
  • Great. It’s sorted. :-)
    Now a proper welcome Peranders!
    i’m interested to learn more about your DIY projects.
  • Hi all, brand new here. Found the site while researching the Inca Tech claymore I picked up some months ago. Current, v simple set up is a Tehcnics 1210, claymore and Kef101s (and a little audio engine B1 for some streaming). The claymore could do with some attention, so after a few months or lurking on the sidelines, thought I'd join in the discussion to learn a little more...
  • Hi Jack.
    Welcome to you and your Claymore.
  • Hi Jack

Welcome. Glad you've delurked - unlurked?

Hopefully, Colin will be along sometime soon, once someone has knocked on his shed door. In the meantime, there are Claymore owners here who'll offer help.

Cheers

Dave
  • Hey everyone. Just like to say hi as new on here. I have just purchased a Early Garrard 401 which should arrive around the 5th March. My current setup is:

Ariaton rd80sl (about to sell)
    Rega Planet Cd
    Linn Intek Amp
    Tannoy 605 bi wire 
  • Hi Enersha.
    Welcome.
    Lovely looking avatar.
    You sound excited about your impending delivery. :-)
    Let us know how you get on when it arrives.
  • Hi Enersha. Welcome to Chews!

I left analogue behind decades ago, but a good 401 is one of the few decks I'd give ear space to. I'm jealous!
  • Hi everyone, I’m Kristian. Currently using Harbeth P3ESRs, early  iss claymore upgraded by Col, maranta tt15  with a ear 834, chord qutest fed by my old Cambridge Audio np30.
  • Hi Kristian.
    Interesting setup. :-)
    I’m thinking it’s taken a while to evolve...?
  • Welcome Kristian

As Ben said, interesting setup. And a Qutest, as discussed elsewhere!
  • Docfoster said:
    Hi Kristian.
    Well I’ve had the claymore since ‘95 or so-occasional toy with other amps but never enjoy them quite as much. Can’t ever see myself replacing the marantz. The p3esrs are new-replaced my old mini monitors-they sound absolutely sublime with Cols amp. Obvious bass is lacking sometimes but I’m my ting listening room it’s no real factor.
  • uglymusic said:
    Welcome Kristian

Thanks. Well, I find it hard to get excited about any DACs to be honest. This one is British, has tons of inputs and sounds very natural. Obviously no one with out bionic ears can detect any sonic improvements beyond 24 bit so it will last me until the components wear out. 
  • phorize said:
    Docfoster said:
    Hi Kristian.
    Well I’ve had the claymore since ‘95 or so-occasional toy with other amps but never enjoy them quite as much. Can’t ever see myself replacing the marantz. The p3esrs are new-replaced my old mini monitors-they sound absolutely sublime with Cols amp. Obvious bass is lacking sometimes but I’m my ting listening room it’s no real factor.
    That obvious bass thought is an interesting one. I find with my Wonfor SECAs and Royds, it's almost entirely down to what's on the recording. With the right one, the bass can be thunderous; with a mainstream recording bass can sound lacking.
  • edited March 2019
    phorize said:
    uglymusic said:
    Welcome Kristian

Thanks. Well, I find it hard to get excited about any DACs to be honest. This one is British, has tons of inputs and sounds very natural. Obviously no one with out bionic ears can detect any sonic improvements beyond 24 bit so it will last me until the components wear out. 
    FWIW, I trust my ears first and the numbers second, but do wonder if I should save my money and keep the Young - especially if I dare tweak it! 

[I was going to move this post to the DAC thread, but the option to do so seems to have evaporated. Please put up with it being here while I find out what's happened].
  • Hello all.
    I have lurked for a while and thought I'd introduce myself.
    I currently have an Oberon and recently acquired an M50P/M50  
    Mightily impressed so far. 
    Richie
  • Hi Sunrise.
    Welcome!
    I’ve read only positive things about the M50!
    Make yourself at home.
  • Hi Richie

Welcome x 2

I'm Dave, in case you haven't figured it out ;-)
  • edited May 2019
    Hello all.
    I have lurked for a while and thought I'd introduce myself.
    I currently have an Oberon and recently acquired an M50P/M50  
    Mightily impressed so far. 
    Richie
    Hi Richie,

Welcome to Chews...

Your old minstrels are sounding mighty fine at Col's place! Didn't know you had scored an M50 set, well done. 👍

I'm currently playing with a pre production prototype of the new Oberon integrated, and it's pretty exciting, I might even retire my own M-50 setup.
  • Hi Alan

i have the m50 playing through another set of minstrels at the moment, while I sort out the Eatons. Great little speakers.  

The m50s are great. I am really enjoying them. They are a tiny bit too deep for where I want to put them, so I may look at the q20. (If anyone is looking to step up to the m50 from the q, I’d be interested in talking...)

thanks for for the warm welcome!

Richie 

• edited June 2019
    JackS said:
    Hi all, brand new here. Found the site while researching the Inca Tech claymore I picked up some months ago. Current, v simple set up is a Tehcnics 1210, claymore and Kef101s (and a little audio engine B1 for some streaming). The claymore could do with some attention, so after a few months or lurking on the sidelines, thought I'd join in the discussion to learn a little more...
    OK Dave who banged on my door I was listening to Dire Straits, on a M100, my poor test speakers ((Ruark Sabre)) caught fire again, The moral of this not is never put a amp over 300W on 50W drivers, the third time I have killed them.
    Dave do speakers go to heaven like Biro's ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII&list=RDsPlhKP0nZII&start_radio=1&t=0 
  • AntiCrap said:
    JackS said:
    Hi all, brand new here. Found the site while researching the Inca Tech claymore I picked up some months ago. Current, v simple set up is a Tehcnics 1210, claymore and Kef101s (and a little audio engine B1 for some streaming). The claymore could do with some attention, so after a few months or lurking on the sidelines, thought I'd join in the discussion to learn a little more...
    OK Dave who banged on my door I was listening to Dire Straits, on a M100, my poor test speakers ((Ruark Sabre)) caught fire again, The moral of this not is never put a amp over 300W on 50W drivers, the third time I have killed them.
    Dave do speakers go to heaven like Biro's ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII&list=RDsPlhKP0nZII&start_radio=1&t=0 
    “Requiem for a speaker coil”. How compassionate of you. :-D