Please introduce yourself

Comments

• Hi Andrew, welcome. If you stick around here your musical horizons may be further widened! It was your comments on PFM that got me to try Porcupine tree BTW - thanks very much for that!
  • Welcome Andrew

Watch out for the jazz fans around here ;-)
  • Welcome Andrew.

Another prog fan here.  I'm a big Yes fan and have seen them at least 5 times.  I also love early ELP and early Rush - not a big fan of either of their later works.
  • Hi Andrew, and welcome to this little corner of the www - hope you'll enjoy it here. :)
  • Andrew.  Hi there! 
    Andrew
  • Hi everyone..... My name's James and I'm from Solihull! (cue the Blind Date style applause).

My kit is a real mish-mash at the moment as I move over from CD based replay into the world of streaming music from my NAS drive. Right now my system is MacBook Pro >> Young DAC (on loan) >> Croft Micro 25 Pre >> Burson AB160 >> Arcam P7 >> ATC SCM11 speakers.

I've also got a Lavry DA11 DAC and Acer net top which I'll be swapping in and out over the next week to see which combination works best in my system.

Musical tastes are wide and varied although recently I find myself listening to more and more female vocalists....Laura Marling, Diane Birch, Adele etc.

Looking forward to being a part of the Young Loaners club :-)

Cheers,

James
  • Welcome James

I hope you enjoy it here. We seem to have become the place for those with Youngs this side of the pond.

FWIW, I did my degree in Brum many moons ago. Love the West Midlands.
  • Hi James and welcome.  Enjoy
  • Hi James - make yourself right at home.
    :)
  • Hello

I'm Monty (named after my first cat) and live in NE England.

System is: MacMini (QNAP NAS), Amarra, M2Tech Young DAC, Naim NAC82/Supercap2, NAP250-2, Usher Dancer Mini 2, Michell Gyrodec, QC Power, RB300, DV20 -XL

Cheers !
  • Hi Monty and welcome.
  • Hi Monty

Sit down and make yourself at home.
  • Hi Monty - welcome to this little corner of the www. :)
  • Hello

I'm Monty (named after my first cat) and live in NE England.

System is: MacMini (QNAP NAS), Amarra, M2Tech Young DAC, Naim NAC82/Supercap2, NAP250-2, Usher Dancer Mini 2, Michell Gyrodec, QC Power, RB300, DV20 -XL

Cheers !

Hi Monty - if I'd been named after my 1st cat I'd have been called Suzi :-)

Hmm, I kinda like that name... 

• Hello all,
    Thanks for the warm welcome !

• Hello Monty. Hope you like it here, welcome.
    :)
  • Hi James. Hi Monty. A big welcome. Another convert or two to the Young dac club as well! Laura Marling is excellent, saw her a few yrs ago at Rescue Rooms.
  • Hi folks,

I guess a bunch of people on here already know me but for those that don't I'm Jason.

I enjoy a fairly wide range of music from classical to heavy metal to show tunes to indie to bluegrass to prog rock to folk etc. I'm recently getting into Jazz but more the melodic swing type that I know Dave doesn't favour much.
    And I'm really enjoying discovering new and up and coming folk-pop type acts that started with Newton Faulkner a couple of years ago and then Kate Walsh, to more recently Lotte Mullan and just last week Al Lewis who's just brought out a debut English album (previous ones in Welsh only) that I listn to non-stop.

As for my system I use NVA amps/cables, Audiovector speakers and my own design HiFi PC digital source.

And I guess that leads me onto the fact that I suppose I'm straddling the limbo between non-trade and trade right now as my first NVA commissioned HiFi PC product, the TFS, goes into production and becomes generally available.

That's all for now.
    Jason
  • Great to have you on board, and thanks for the Lotte Mullan & Al Lewis tips - I shall investigate.

Have you seen Newton live before? Great fun, we caught him just after the first album came out, it was a great time to see him flying high.
  • Hi Jason

Glad to see ya.

Looking forward to picking your brain on digital audio matters. I'm sure you'll be able to answer questions about Windows audio that I haven't got a clue about.
  • Welcome Jason, enjoy.
  • Good to see you here Jason
  • Hi Jason

Good to see your here. Your computer expertise and knowledge will be most welcome and appreciated.

Don't be shy about the TFS - it definitely deserves more attention !

Mervyn

• Hi Jason - great to see you hear.

Ditto what Mervyn said about the TFS - sounds like a fascinating proposition! :)

Are you heading up/over/down to Scalford this year?
  • Hi Folks, thanks for the warm welcome.

Alan, no I keep missing Newton, much to my annoyance.

Gromit, no not this year - I need to pace myself. Having just attended Ben's wonderful speaker bake-off, I'm also heading down to Reading the week after Scalford to attend a DAC bake-off with some good folk from PFM. I'm not sure I can stomach another long drive :)  Hope you have a good day, I'm sure you will.

Jason

• edited March 2011
    Hi: I'm Mark.
    First I was a heroine addict. Now I'm a methadone addict.

Only joshing . . . I'm a dealer. In audio equipment - which was once upon a time a handy way to get new toys; now an obsession with computer audio and excellence in all things digital.

We also design and manufacture - particularly computer audio transports. We sell whatever we believe in: Wyred 4 Sound, Calyx, Tripath amplifiers, KingRex, Adam Audio, Analysis, Antelope, Swan, etc. We have a website: http://www.itemaudio.co.uk but we like to put products in people's homes to try for themselves.

I only listen to fado.
  • A man of rare taste indeed. Welcome to you & your maracas...
  • Hola / Olé.
  • Hi Im Lee 

Current system is Luxman L505u Amp, Mac Mini, Hiface, Dacmagic, Audio Physic Yara II Classics. Currently on the upgrade path for my dac and looking at demoing a Young soon which seems quite a decent dac and offers me asynchronous USB also.

Musical tastes is quite varied, ranges from Led Zeppelin to Miles Davies.

Anyway seems quite a decent forum and quite a few Young users on here looking through the threads who all seem to say positive things about it

All the best

Lee
  • Hi Lee

Welcome to Audio Chews.

Have a chat with Keith (@coops) about getting a Young for audition. 

I've just spent some of the past few days ripping some of my Miles box sets - I'm currently indexing them in iTunes on my NAS - so I'll have a huge pile of Mr Davis to keep me amused for a while.

Cheers

Dave
  • Hi Lee

Welcome to Audio Chews.

Have a chat with Keith (@coops) about getting a Young for audition. 

I've just spent some of the past few days ripping some of my Miles box sets - I'm currently indexing them in iTunes on my NAS - so I'll have a huge pile of Mr Davis to keep me amused for a while.

Cheers

Dave
    Hi Dave

Already spoke to Keith, once he has one in the shop its on its way, as for the Miles box set, Ive only ripped about 7 cd's of the complete Columbia, which leaves with about 63 to go! To be honest I aint got enough space on the mini, been looking at an external HD so I can add some more on

Lee
  • I've ripped The Complete Miles & Coltrane, The Complete Miles and Gil Evans, The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, The Complete In a Silent Way and the Complete Miles Davis Quintet. There are at least a couple more for me to do.

External storage is the way to go. I have a NAS, plus a Drobo. The NAS has all my live files, while the Drobo is the backup for music, photos, business and personal files. You need to make sure you can back up the files on the external drive. Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs ;-)
  • I've ripped The Complete Miles & Coltrane, The Complete Miles and Gil Evans, The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, The Complete In a Silent Way and the Complete Miles Davis Quintet. There are at least a couple more for me to do.

External storage is the way to go. I have a NAS, plus a Drobo. The NAS has all my live files, while the Drobo is the backup for music, photos, business and personal files. You need to make sure you can back up the files on the external drive. Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs ;-)
    I was after a drive which plugged into the mac via firewire or usb, is the drobo a make?
  • Hi Lee, welcome. I hope you'll feel right at home here.

There are loads of ways to manage storage, and backup is always something to keep on top of. I also use a NAS drive for my music files, but I don't have it on the network anymore (though it could be at any time). I plug it into the MACmini with an Ethernet cable. It seemed to make sense to keep as few peripherals on the USB as possible.
  • Hi Lee, welcome. I hope you'll feel right at home here.

There are loads of ways to manage storage, and backup is always something to keep on top of. I also use a NAS drive for my music files, but I don't have it on the network anymore (though it could be at any time). I plug it into the MACmini with an Ethernet cable. It seemed to make sense to keep as few peripherals on the USB as possible.
    Hi Alan

Never thought of using the Ethernet as a way of getting to the files, will have a look into getting one

Cheers

Lee

I was after a drive which plugged into the mac via firewire or usb, is the drobo a make?
    This is the Drobo I have. It's plugged into my office iMac via Firewire.

The NAS is this one. It's plugged into my AirPort Extreme router.

This is the Drobo I have. It's plugged into my office iMac via Firewire.

The NAS is this one. It's plugged into my AirPort Extreme router.
    Thanks Dave
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Guys

I am Bill Hobba from the land down under.  I joined because Lee, who also
    posts on the Aus forums I do, mentioned you had some interesting threads -
    specifically on the Young DAC - so I thought - why not join up.

I listen almost exclusively to vocalists like Diana Krall, Jazz, light
    pop and rock.  I probably have gear you haven't heard of but here goes
    anyway.  Mac Mini with Pure Music feeding a WFS DAC2 into a Leben
    CS300XS and Lenehan ML1 Plus R's speakers using Lenehan Ribbontek
    cables.  The WFS is only an interim measure until my two Tranquility
    DAC's (I have both the SE and standard ones) are replaced from the US
    and my PDX Level 2 DAC is being upgraded to have a John Kenny Hiface
    built into it.  My speakers are also getting an upgrade soon to Lenehan
    ML3 References - they are being built right now.

Thanks
    Bill 
  • Welcome aboard Bill, I'm glad that you've joined, maybe some more guys will join from Aus!

FWIW guys the forum that Bill uses down under is a really good one too and well worth joining
  • Thanks Lee.

Hi Bill - great to have you here. FWIW I have heard of the DACs in your harem, and the amp, but I confess the rest is new to me. I hope you'll feel at home here - feel free to start any discussions you feel we're lacking. AudioChews is still very small (100 or so members), so diversity is good.

Talk soon....
  • Hi Bill

Welcome. I hope we can make you feel at home, and that you'll feel happy to post about some areas we don't know much about.

Cheers

Dave
  • Hi Allan

Great to hear you know of the DAC's and amp.  My speakers are a made by Lenehan Audio a small boutique manufacturer from the Gold Coast just a 30-40 minute drive from where I live.  They are well known here in Aus and here is a review if anyone is interested:

They make my cables and PDX as well.

Thanks
    Bill
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks Bill. I hope you don't mind that I've moved your post to Loudspeakers.

Cheers

Dave
  • Hello to all.

My name is Danny and I have been into HIFI for the last four years now. Had lot's of changes in my system over that period! It became a bit of an addiction, always searching for the perfect sound! I am in a happy place right now.

I enjoy lots of different music but can not tolerate cheezy music ie any Girl or Boy bands and prob about 85% of the stuff played on Radio 1 at the moment. Some of my favorite bands include - The Doors, Joy division, Radiohead, The Verve, Led Zepp, The Stone Roses, The Stones, The Who, The Kings Of Leon and many more.....

My current setup consists of - Kudos X2's, Densen B-150, Mac Mini, Rega Dac with soon to be Hiface and Atlas hyper 2.0 speaker cable and interconnects.

Look forward to speaking with you all.

Danny

• Hi Danny

Great to have you on board - Welcome! Get stuck in & contribute all you like, including any questions. It sounds like you've been on an interesting journey.
  • Welcome Danny

I'll try to get the HiFace posted tomorrow; possibly Saturday.
  • Welcome Danny.  

I have just recently joined as well.  I am from Aus and hope I can add a bit of a different slant to things based on the scene out here.

Thanks
    Bill
  • edited April 2011
    What different slant Bill? Upside down?  :p
  • My apologies Bill. Even the mods need modding around here!  [-X