High Ceilings and HiFi

edited December 2011 in Systems
Hello all,

I've recently moved house and my new listening room is much bigger than my old one. Higher ceilings and bigger in dimension. Also, I now have wooden floors.

Since setting up I've noticed a much different sound. Bass depth has gone and stereo imaging is now poor.

Has anyone had similar experiences? How can I remedy? Will carpet sort it out or would I need to look at other options? My speakers are large and can't be replaced!

Thanks!

Comments

• I have a similar high ceiling suspended floor, I have a big bass suck out here, measuring your room would confirm, the only way I have found to replace suck out is with active room correction, try moving the speakers where you have them placed at the moment may be on a null, cancelling even more bass.
    There is a good set up guide on the Genelec website.
    Keith.
  • Try running Audio Hijack Pro on your Mac.

See @robholt's post over at AudioSmile, and our thread here.

It may be difficult to fix gross anomalies with active room correction, but I'm a great fan of the £20 software.
  • Thanks, I'm using Amarra Mini so will have a play around with it's EQ. 

Deffo a placement issue. I could do with my sofa 2m further forward but SWMBO won't be up for that malarkey!

The alternative may be to position the speakers on the adjacent wall. At the moment they are pointing down the length of the room.... My room is rectangular.....

All the best. I hope Santa visits you all......

Ade
  • Duh! I shoulda known that!

Have a great one!
  • Hi Ade

I hope you get somewhere with the room, I have always had better results with a nearfield setup as it doesn't allow the room to interfere as much (and my monitor type speakers were designed for it). Although each room brings a difference to the sound I get, I haven't found one that can't be 'fixed' yet, at least to the extent that I can't really enjoy my music. After all, the sound at many live concerts is compromised by the room.

The room correction software might be worth a shot, I might get enough time in the next decade to idly have a tinker with that myself!

• Monty,
    I remember hearing my NVA Cube speakers in that big room (high ceilings included) in Scalford a while back and they sounded as you describe. Got them back to my place and they were a different creature. Bass depth and stereo imaging were fine.
    Not sure how to cure it, but best wishes with your experimenting. :-)