Young DAC

Comments

• Bill, press the front buttons and see what rev of software it is.
  • I am definitely happier leaving my AudioMidi set to 384, and letting the DAC up-sample (or is it oversample?) everything. I no longer allow my player to select the most appropriate sample rate.

With quite a few 44.1 files there is just a alight edginess that I only really notice when it's gone thanks to the up-sampling. It's not quite crackle, nowhere near that bad, more an edge that can lead to fatigue.

So I am not a proper audiophile, 'cos I prefer this to bit-perfect!
  • Bill Hi Kennys PDX?
    Is that the hiface added to Twisted Pears DAC boards?
    Keith.
  • I am definitely happier leaving my AudioMidi set to 384, and letting the DAC up-sample (or is it oversample?) everything. I no longer allow my player to select the most appropriate sample rate.

With quite a few 44.1 files there is just a alight edginess that I only really notice when it's gone thanks to the up-sampling. It's not quite crackle, nowhere near that bad, more an edge that can lead to fatigue.

So I am not a proper audiophile, 'cos I prefer this to bit-perfect!
    I'll try that and see if I notice the same effect.
  • @coops, did that battery power supply find another home, or has postie lost it?
  • Marco emailed me this morning that he will be getting to my DAC tmrw.

Question:  Does anyone know the DAC chipset in the Young?  Seta, at digitaluadioblog, claims it's an ESS Sabre DAC but I don't think so at all.   I'd like to set him straight on that, as misinformation is not what the Young needs right now.
  • Ted - it is not the ESS chip. I think it was a BB, I'll try to see where I read that.
  • Simon (sq225917), who has had his apart, has reported it uses a BB1795.
  • Thanks.  Yeah, funny, even Seta's own blog reported that earlier.  He thanked me and said he misspoke.
  • No worries mate. When do you get yours back then?

• edited April 2011
    Dunno.  Marco says he's working on it starting tmrw, so it could be 2 weeks (Italy to US, plus some bench time)?
  • edited April 2011
    Crikey - you have the patience of a saint Ted! Won't your dealer carry the can for you & just replace your unit?
  • Crickey - you have the patience of a saint Ted! Won't your dealer carry the can for you & just replace your unit?
    Good question.
  • Surely you'd want the unit touched by the hand of God himself.

@uglymusic- chasing up Keith for items in the post? lol, his only failing...
  • David Hi, trying to wrestle p/s from Jerry ! Order placed with multi cell but three week lead time!
    Surely there must be a 15.5 battery out there?
    vb Keith.
  • David Hi, trying to wrestle p/s from Jerry ! Order placed with multi cell but three week lead time!
    Surely there must be a 15.5 battery out there?
    vb Keith.
    No probs, Keith. Get them to the the real punters, and don't worry about me.
  • Bill Hi Kennys PDX?
    Is that the hiface added to Twisted Pears DAC boards?
    Keith.
    Nope - check out:
    http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/

I have high hopes of this input and am getting a version of the PDX with this as input.  I and others are hopeful this could be better than a transport with this DAC.  The PDX is starting to become fairly well known here in Aus but you may not know about it - if not check out the following review:

Thanks
    Bill

• Are you saying that Kenny's PDX feeding the Young sounds better than the Young's native Async USB? Or is this a different topic entirely?
  • edited April 2011
    I don't think Bill is using a Young DAC, Dave.
  • Bill Hi, I have had a few NOS dacs with tube output stages, not really my cup of tea, the tube output might help a 'shouty' system though, valves tend to roll off bass and treble.
    Keith.
  • I don't think Bill is using a Young DAC, Dave.
    That's what was dawning on me.

If that is the case, this Discussion needs to be moved on to its own one as it has nothing to do with the Young.
  • Ok folks on the subject of power supply's who's using what with the Young?
  • I've got a SuperTeddyReg PSU, made by Simon. Uglymusic has the same - as does Simon (sq225917).
  • edited April 2011
    And Andy (@Uzinusa), as well. But he built his own.
  • Are you taking orders Simon? Yours certainly looks the part next to the Young....
  • Bill Hi, I have had a few NOS dacs with tube output stages, not really my cup of tea, the tube output might help a 'shouty' system though, valves tend to roll off bass and treble.
    Keith.
    Hi Kieth

Its not a NOS DAC.  And the Valve output stage is very transparent.  However this is getting way off topic.  I will start a separate thread about the PDX DAC.

Thanks
    Bill
  • Thanks Bill.
  • Possibly this indipendent Italian review might interest you (here with Google Translation):

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexthardware.com%2Frecensioni%2Famplificatori-dac%2F527%2Fm2tech-young.htm&sl=it&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

I have done accurate USB tests with and without a battery...

• Thanks for that bibo01. And welcome!

Please introduce yourself next time you're on Audio Chews.
  • edited April 2011

Thanks bibo01 (what is your real name? I can't keep calling you that!).

I've moved your intro to Please introduce yourself.

• Guess what guys? Yep I've brought the Young and managed to sell the dacmagic, hiface and QED digital lead, all in the space of 24hrs
  • Good work Lee.  A shorter audio chain to boot.
  • Hey, @Lee. Join the club!

@Brumjam, I like simpler, too ;-)

• Bad news I'm afraid guys. I've spent the night going back and forth between a SuperTeddyReg supply, my battery pack and a new TPR2 regulated supply from Les at Avondale. 

The TPR2 is definitely closer to the battery pack, I utterly can't tell them apart. I always thought and still do think there's a little difference between the Superteddyreg supply and battery power- in favour of the battery. I think the lower impedance output of the TPR2 just shades it.
  • Not the end of the world, I was always willing to sacrifice a shade for convenience & practicality anyway. I still really rate the PSU you made, but if you think you can improve it in the future....
  • '...just shades it' isn't bad news, it's probably not enough to make me consider the expense.
  • This really isn't a 'proper audiophile' forum you know, with such pragmatism & a lack of self doubt....
  • I'm not a proper audiophile. Just an ex-reviewer ;-)
  • An ex-pletive perhaps?
    b-(
  • edited April 2011
    A lack of self doubt, well it's true that most of us are old enough and self assured enough to know that we hear what we hear, (once those bias have been removed from the equation).

Here's a little look at what is currently inside the PSU powering my Young, this one will be winging its way to Lefty from another forum once it's gone through 24 hours soak.

It does sound better, the more i hear it the more i like it. So much so I've just replaced the Teddyregs in my phonostage as well!
  • It looks quite a bit different, is that a full sized chopping board on the side?

I was following your PFM thread actually, and this Avondaled version looks the biznizz. Is it worth modifying existing units for the improvements? (closely followed by - ) Would you by any chance consider....?
  • Alan, the difference between them isn't huge, i probably wouldn't, I just can't help fiddling. It's a trivial job to replace the regulator, toughest bit would be mounting the heatsink. 

In total it would be desolder three wires, replace one with 2" longer wire, remove teddyreg, drill hole for heatsink mounts, bolt to bottom of case, resolder. 

In the new cases it's quite a bit more work as the only space to mount it is on the back of the case.
  • nice bit of copper bar that Si.  Interested in your findings re LesW's TPR.  Might have to whip up a few of these and play sometime.
  • Uz, this week I have replaced a dual teddyreg supply to my phonostage with Les's MSX and my Passlabs B1 supply and Young supply with TPR2 based regs. I won't be going back.

Copper bar comes with the TPR2...
  • Si.  You say Teddyreg, any thoughts on the STR? 
    I like Les's products a lot.  He's always been v. helpful and accommodating to me and made me most welcome at Avondale Audio Towers when I've popped by.  It was Les who showed be the amount of distortion introduced by the standard Naim amplifier circuit.  I'd certainly invest in his products if i were looking for some new amps etc.
    Andy

PS:  If you ever need a bit of Cu bar I have some modest amounts of various sizes and thicknesses. 
  • Ah, got you Si..."The TPRS sounds better on the DAC than the Superteddyreg supply did previously."
  • Uz, some modest amounts of copper bar would be most interesting, i'll have to get a tap set first though. When referring to Tedyregs I do mean the Super versions- which I now have 6 spare of...inc two brand new smt ones direct from teddy...
  • Marco just sent me a UPS notice that my Young is on its way back.  Not sure what was found or done...but it's speeding its way back here.  Will report.
  • That's good news Ted.

Keep us posted.
  • edited May 2011
    Marco said it was a firmware and timing issue.  My DAC will be here Thursday.