Young DAC

Comments

• Timing - by a few months Ted? I really really hope it is everything you hope for when it returns Ted - you certainly deserve it!
  • Be interested to hear your revised thoughts Ted.
  • Darn thing is "held in warehouse" in US UPS distrib center 4 hrs from my home  I have several emails into Marco, as it seems UPS needs more paperwork/info.  Argh!
  • Don't we all lurve bureaucracy!
  • So, after a bit of back of forth sourcing supplies of the regulators and cases I'm now in a position to be able to once again offer power supplies for the Young DAC. I'm not using the Teddyreg any more as I genuinely believe that the tracking pre-reg is a better and more dynamic sounding solution. 

They will come in the extruded black powder coated case for £210 inc insured UK delivery (If you want a  hand finished linished case to match the finish of the Young then they are £225)

I should mention that these are CE approved units, something I couldn't offer with the teddyreg version, so double bonus...

I'm away with work this week but will sort them out on my return, so drop me a line if you'd like one.

Simon
  • To all Young users:

Simon's power supply is well worth the outlay imo, it really lifts the DAC into another class (yes - it is very fine to start with, I know). I say this as one with the out of date & superseded Super Teddy Reg supplies.
  • Thanks for that Alan- it's not that superseded, a little bit more dynamic.  ;-)
  • Lol, i'll send him a power supply if he still has the Young... he'll shit bricks when it roundly usurps his NAim DAC
  • Well, it was a pleasure talking Young DAC with you guys.  I ultimately had to bow out, and sent back the newly updated Young to my dealer today.  I tried it with the Hynes PS, as well as with the Pardo.  The Hynes made it sound aggressive and grainy;  weird, cuz Hynes made everything else....Metric Halo, Antelope, Alix Linux server (transformational) sound better.  I did not the like the Pardo at all, too unbalanced with huge midrange  and lower treble push, but it was probably system synergy.  I've read nothing but good things about Teddy's stuff, and he was helpful during the tour of his PS here.

Anyway...I really enjoyed the Young but it ended up being a situation where I just couldn't get past the sound of the albeit-more-expensive Antelope Plus with Voltikus power supply, and especially with the Hynes/Alix Linus server.  I ended up instead, though, getting the even higher end Antelope Gold DAC (with Voltikus PS) and will do Hynes/Alix as server (although Pure Music integer mode beta version, on Macbook server, was sublime too).  I will start another thread once it arrives and settles in. 

The Young is still a DAC I will recommend in the sub $1500 street price $US category.  No brainer there.  And thanks to all at M2Tech, esp Marco, for his help.  And finally, thanks to keith and all of you here for the help and support as I dealt with one thing or another.  I have to admit, the technical hiccups didn't help in the end....probably just as I send back a truly production-quality version.  :(
  • I am sorry for your experience Ted, I have nothing but sympathy for you - you have had nothing but trouble with this DAC. I hope you'll want to contribute to AudioChews in the future though, we'll be most interested in the Antelope DAC amongst other things. This will hopefully help the forum diversify a little.

Still I maintain, you've shown the patience of a saint wrt M2Tech and I hope you get what you deserve (good things) with the Antelope.
  • Thanks Ted

I'd certainly be interested in hearing about the Antelope and the Alix Linux server when you get the time.
  • Ted Hi, please do write something about the Linux based server, I hope to have the new Weiss Linux based server here soon, at the moment listening to the new Weiss Medea plus, which is extremely good, ( as it should be for the price).
    Keith.
  • For all who asked I'll be ordering cases for power supplies this week.
  • Just a little techie question until I can afford one of Simons PS, is it possible to get a maplins type PS for the young as Im getting pissed off with the wall wart plugged into a continental adapter, just prefer the 3 pin UK plug

Cheers

Lee
  • Where are you based Lee?
  • West Midlands
  • For everyone who is waiting for a power supply I've just been informed parts are 10-14 days out. Sorry for the del;ay gents I shall get them out to you asap.

Si
  • Just a little techie question until I can afford one of Simons PS, is it possible to get a maplins type PS for the young as Im getting pissed off with the wall wart plugged into a continental adapter, just prefer the 3 pin UK plug

Cheers

Lee
    Looks like I will have to give Keith a call to see what he has to say on the subject
  • Depends what you mean by a 'maplins type PS'. They do lots.

I'm sure Keith will be able to help you out, though.

Cheers

Lee
    Looks like I will have to give Keith a call to see what he has to say on the subject
    Simon will also know which type to go for, and if there is any advantage to it.
  • I was looking for something around the £20 mark that has a UK 3 pin plug with the right voltage to supply the Dac, Im not sure if their is one to be honest
  • I can't see that will be any better than you have.

Do you have a proper EU/UK adapter that clamps the Young's PSU solidly into place using screws? You can get one for about 7 quid in Currys.
  • For everyone who is waiting for a power supply I've just been informed parts are 10-14 days out. Sorry for the del;ay gents I shall get them out to you asap.

Si
    No problem !
  • Five new M2Tech products in Muniich!
    The Vaughn dac named after Johnny Ray not Frankie, is huge, like a Young on steroids!
    I am knackered, more tomorrow
    Keith.
  • Pace yourself Keith, we don't want you doing yourself a mischief!
  • Five new M2Tech products in Muniich!

The Vaughn dac named after Johnny Ray not Frankie, is huge, like a Young on steroids!
    I am knackered, more tomorrow
    Keith.
    Who is Johnny Ray Vaughn, Keith? Surely not this chap http://www.facebook.com/people/Johnny-Ray-Vaughn/1137764238. But possibly this chap http://www.myspace.com/pintu138

I know of Stevie Ray Vaughan, though.
  • I was hoping it is SRV too.
  • I hope the Vaugh(a)n DAC doesn't suffer the same fate, though  :-D
  • Stevie it is!
    Five new products from Marco, power supplies for the EVO and Young , a new D/A with inbuilt equalisation curves for The pre RIAA standard, variable gain and impedance, ideal for recording your old vinyl, the new Vaughn looks superb, it is huge though,4 chips, separate power supply, remote control separate headphone amp, a real assault on the state of the art.
    Keith.
  • I don't believe you without pictures....
  • Ah! Pictures.

And Product!

Especially Product 
    :-D
  • Oh, and how about Prices? Please :-)
  • There is also a word clock. for the EVO , a new amplifier and music server Wireless system !
    Keith.
  • Stevie it is!
    Five new products from Marco, power supplies for the EVO and Young , a new D/A with inbuilt equalisation curves for The pre RIAA standard, variable gain and impedance, ideal for recording your old vinyl, the new Vaughn looks superb, it is huge though,4 chips, separate power supply, remote control separate headphone amp, a real assault on the state of the art.
    Keith.
    Very interested to hear more about the D/A !!
  • Power supply for the Young ? Who would have thought ? I have one of sq's AA sourced units in the post. Wonder which will be better ?
  • Marco and Simon will have to settle it the old fashioned way, Chinese burns!
    Keith.
  • Well I guarantee mine to work straight out of the box, no need for firmware updates and bug fixes...   ;-)
  • Any idea what the price of the Young Power supply will be? And delivery time?
  • Just got back from Munich High End fair. As a local resident sort of home play for me  :-)
    For your viewing pleasure you'll find some pics attached of M2Tech's upcoming attractions.

The Vaughan (available September around 6000 Euro)

The Young PSU (Lithium-Polymer battery equipped, 12hours runtime, low noise regulator, Young form factor -- Available Autumn ca. 300 Euro)

The Young Joblin (A/D converter):

Cheers
    Tom
  • Thanks Tom for posting the photos, the Vaughn is just a prototype, the final case will be more like the rendering, did you enjoy the show?
    Keith.
  • 6,000 euro. Ouch 8-X
  • Yes, that's the kind of price we've been hearing about over here in the US as well.  As I stated earlier, at that price the Vaughn is competing with an entirely different market than M2Tech is used to, and their heretofore "early release issues" need to be, um, pretty much nonexistent.  These modern DACs are largely software, so there will never be a bug-free unit, but 99% bug-free needs to be the goal.
  • edited May 2011
    High stakes for everyone then, the purchaser & M2Tech. Impressive looking gear though, thanks for the pics Tom!

@Ted_b ; - assuming the Young & the Vaughan are "largely software", then M2Tech might be onto a winner already. There is more connectivity for the Vaughan, and a few more options for sure, but the improvements seem to be largely in overkill, statement grade hardware - the functional capability of the Vaughan in a standard system is very much the same as the Young. Would that mean the software issue has largely been tackled during the Young's release period?
  • I'd expect most of the Vaughan is already in the Young. Add in a digital attenuator before the DAC chips and output stage, shoe in a headphone amp and remote control and away you go.

I'm surprised at the price 4x the Young price...that's defo not the same calculation that came up with the Young price, there's a fair slice of 'statement' product cost added in there for good measure, but that's always the way with small sales volume products.
  • Apparently it has four times the Young inside it, four chips per channel ,8 analogue output devices, completely separate headphone amp, at that price it has to ne better than the Weiss Medea Plus!
    The D/A looks interesting, and the proposed music server, and the new amps and 'audiophile' Sonos!
    VbKeith.
  • Push him for pics Keith, it'll put the price into perspective re the competition. `if he's delivering the same VFM with the Vaughan as he does with the Young it'll be  one hell of  a box.
  • Simon Hi, I will see if I can glean some more details, Marco confirmed it is his all out effort, it will be interesting to hear it, the Weiss Medea Plus is the besets I have heard at the moment but that has a rrp of £12k!
    vb Keith.
  • Guys, Check out these professional pics of the Vaughan sporting Maro as well. Sorry for my poor quality I only had my iPhone with me.

http://www.hifistatement.net/de/panorama/events/item/872-high-end-2011-helmut-baumgartners-messerundgang-–-teil-2

Cheers
    Tom
  • Nice shots, shame the guts weren't on display.