Young DAC

Comments

• Papa, I stated it earlier in posts but I guess not this one, but it is the Weiss DAC2, the one I own currently.
  • Thanks. If the Young rivals that sonically its a true bargain.
  • Sound promising, doesn't it?

Thanks for copying us in on your thorough shake-down Ted - I appreciate it, especially as I'm not getting much time with the YOUNG at the moment.
  • Mine is still getting better. Day by day, more space and naturalness is appearing.
  • Any impressions on the Teddyreg psu powering the Young DAC yet please?
  • I'm waiting for Keith's promised battery pack  ;-)
  • Simon SQ is sending me his hear when he's happy with it. The TeddyReg is a permanent solution I expect I'll be pursuing later on. He likes it though.
  • Keep us posted!
  • Uzinusa,
    I can't thank you enough for the tip to turn down the dithered volume in PM by -1.0db.  I decided to trust the USB driver tonight, made sure the Young was powered up before the Mac was, etc   With the attenuation the Young DAC's USB sounded marvelous tonight, at any and all sample rates (listened to 44k, 192k, 176k, 384k).  One of the more musical listening sessions I can remember in awhile.  Thanks again.
  • The 1db drop works for me.  But for the first time last night I got channel flipping when switching between bit-rates.
  • FWIW, I finally got the channel swapping!
  • Welcome to the club......bluc eht ot emocleW
  • Thought this might be of interest as a reasonably priced battery option for the Young etc. I was considering one for my 'Nexus' server.

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/kingrex_slap.html

It looks like it uses a motorcycle battery but seems to do the business.

(ps Dave the Kingrex dac is now £129 in the January sales - got to be bargain at that price.)

• The Kingrex Slap sounds like an old Northern Soul Dance move to me

:)) :-))
  • Thought this might be of interest as a reasonably priced battery option for the Young etc. I was considering one for my 'Nexus' server.

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/kingrex_slap.html

It looks like it uses a motorcycle battery but seems to do the business.

(ps Dave the Kingrex dac is now £129 in the January sales - got to be bargain at that price.)

The SLAP is only 12V. The Young needs 16-18V, unfortunately.
  • edited January 2011
    @Uglymusic: Dave - Have you any thoughts about your cryoparts cable versus the stock cable on the YOUNG? I have to make my mind up imminently on the USB cables I am trialling. I think it's fair to say they all do little over & above the stock cable, but there are some very subtle audible differences. I haven't had any time recently to evaluate properly but will steal a focused hour either today or tomorrow. I would value your opinion as most helpful right now.

I need to decide if the wireworld starlight offers me anything over the standard cable, and if it does - is it worth £80? The LAT cable sounds fat & unfocused to me, but on closer analysis doesn't really lose any detail. I understand asynchronous DACs are supposed to be cable indifferent anyhow.
  • Ah. Erm...

I've been so tied up with cartridges, er, Audiophile Software that I haven't made the comparison 
    :">

I shall investigate if I can shoehorn SWMBO away from the goggle plane (it's no longer a box).

• (ps Dave the Kingrex dac is now £129 in the January sales - got to be bargain at that price.)

It's now down to £95. It does need the KIngRex PSU (not the SLAP) to sing, though.
  • & sing it does - betters a lot of 'proper' DACs at a budget price.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help. I hear subtle differences, buy not necessarily improvements.

• As an aside, we've been plugging the TV through the Young and being amazed at the powerful rumbles coming from the RR3s. I'm waiting for someone to ask where the sub-woofer is  :-D

• :DGood, innit? There's no point having all this gear & not getting full use out of it.
  • & sing it does - betters a lot of 'proper' DACs at a budget price.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help. I hear subtle differences, buy not necessarily improvements.

Since when have I done subtle?  :-D
  • OK. On the heretoforementioned matter of the USB cablage, I can't convince myself that there's a difference between the Young 'giveaway' and the Cryoparts using the MacBook Air, Decibel and Young DAC.

I've listened to three tracks over and over.

If pushed, I'd go for the Young giveaway as I seemed to be relaxing and forgetting to listen to minutiae. But I can't be certain. So, using the old maxim that, when there's no sonic difference, cheapest is best, my decision is made.

I hope that helps, @Alan, rather than confuses.
  • That helps, as it confirms absolutely what I have been hearing. Thanks boss!
  • Hi Keith - Any news yet? I have a pile of music I can't wait to hear through the Young!
  • @Alan. Any news from Keith?
  • Not yet mate.
  • Oh poo. I'm really looking forward to a click-free life
  • It's not so bad, a bit like having a record player really.
  • I wonder why I don't have a record player???
  • You blokes would be lost without a mouse to play your music with :)
  • Marco said this very morning that the boards have been populated and they are about to manufacture!
    So hopefully not too long, everyone wanted an 'analogue' sounding dac !
    Regards Keith.
  • Thanks for the update, Keith
  • I don't want an analogue sounding one - I have one already!!

Pops & Crackles, remember?
    >:P

Sorry Jim, I don't mean to go too far with my silliness. The fact is, I'm embarrassed to say, I've never spent any real time with a proper TT system! :">
  • Alan mate, you keep being as silly as you like.  It's all good clean fun :)
  • It's fun Jim, but not as we know it...
  • OK, let's go back to you appolgising, that was better...

X_X
  • That smilie should be holding his nose, not covering his eyes Jim!
  • Fair point :)
  • Marco said this very morning that the boards have been populated and they are about to manufacture!
    So hopefully not too long, everyone wanted an 'analogue' sounding dac !
    Regards Keith.
    Wow, the boards haven't even been mfg'd yet?  This may be awhile (Italy, etc).  :(
  • Ted Hi, I believe the boards are ready, they just have to be installed, I believe!
    Keith.
  • Great progress Keith.  I can't wait to give the v2 a decent go.  Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Andy
  • I wish Marco would extract his digit. I love the Young DAC, I really do. The longer I live with it, the more I like it.

But it's blinkin' annoying that there are albums I can't play.

But then, just as my Young has matured nicely, I'll have to start again with a below-par new one that needs running in again. But it has to be done.
  • edited January 2011
    Great news!  A little bird has just told me the new dacs will be here very soon.  I'm about to pack my v1 Young up and send it away.  Well done M2Tech!  I know it's been a little frustrating, but we have been "early-adopters" and as such are sometimes a little like real-World beta-testers.  What has impressed me is the fast, friendly and responsive communication with Marco at M2Tech.  If this is how they treat customers then a big thumbs-up from me!  Thanks Marco!
    Andy
  • That's good news. Thanks for the update Andy.

Some of us haven't had the direct line of communication with Marco, though - not meant as an insult to you, Keith. I have no complaints there!

I'll be keeping my Young unboxed and in use until the v2 arrives.
  • Which serial numbers do you have? Just to see if the problems have relation to the time they were manufactured
  • Mine is 0074. What's yours?
  • I'd contact Marco at M2 is you want to know if you have a unit with these issues.  Having said that if you don't hear it you're OK. I've got number 72.
  • Keith already knows about my issues and is replacing it (and @Alan's) once he gets the shipment from Marco.
  • I have 0080. Who can tell me if this has "built in" issues?

And is there a list of issues on the Young DAC. I think it is different issues mentioned in the forums I have read.