Young DAC

Comments

• Mine's 0041 and clearly has all the issues discussed.  Good news Andy.
  • yea sorry Ug, this was aimed at Christensen.
    Keith already knows about my issues and is replacing it (and @Alan's) once he gets the shipment from Marco.

• yea sorry Ug, this was aimed at Christensen.
    Keith already knows about my issues and is replacing it (and @Alan's) once he gets the shipment from Marco.

OK. Sorry about that.
  • I have 0080. Who can tell me if this has "built in" issues?

And is there a list of issues on the Young DAC. I think it is different issues mentioned in the forums I have read.

What problems are you getting, @christensen?
  • These are my observations untill now:

Generally I think it sounds different from time to time.  Some times more distorted than else.

I also have to turn down volume in my mediaplayer, Mediamonkey. Else I got much more distortion on several of my albums.

Some times I have to restart windows after changing sample rate beacause of noise.

Does anybody knows if my 0080 is known to have issuses?

• It sounds to me if you're experiencing the overloading issues, resulting in clicks and distortion, that we've all been suffering. I think that probably covers everything but your restarting Windows issue.

I use a Mac, as do most people I know who have the Young, but someone here may be able to help you. Otherwise, Keith (@coops) drops in pretty regularly, and I'm sure he'll be able to contribute something.

I don't know if that helps.
  • Yes, thank you.

I don't live in an english-speakinn country, so I'm not allways shure that I understand every written thing quite correctly.

• No problems. Please ask if we're not making sense.
  • OK, I'll ask!  LOL!
  • Christensen Hi, it sounds like you are suffering from the same 'first batch' problems, I would ask your dealer to change the unit , if you have a problem let me know ,
    regards Keith.
    I would just like to thanks all you lot for your patience , it is exceptionally good of you all.
  • Hi, I live in Denmark and distributor Rene Jensen from www.vassagohifi.com has promissed me a new young as soon as they arrive. 
  • Mine is #76, and Keith ( @coops ) is well appraised with my situation. I haven't felt like contacting Marco in case he feels hounded.
  • I just put Simon's battery power supply on the Young (Sorry Simon, I don't remember the numbers on your usual posting identity). In spite of rather a vicious cold I seem to be cultivating, I can clearly hear very real improvements even if I am not in the mood for enjoying music.

I have just replayed some tracks from my last decent listening session, and have been surprised by detail I had missed. It is particularly good now at revealing subtle acoustic guitar which might have been previously hiding in the mix. I reckon the microdynamics are really really good now, and the staging is much bigger, especially in the vertical plane. More to report by the weekend, I hope.

There is definitely some mileage in power supplies.
  • Alan and Simon: Is it possible to post a "how to build a battery power supply for Young" with component specification and where to buy them (in Europe if possible)?
  • I'll have a chat with him & see. I have borrowed his one for now.
  • I just put Simon's battery power supply on the Young (Sorry Simon, I don't remember the numbers on your usual posting identity). In spite of rather a vicious cold I seem to be cultivating, I can clearly hear very real improvements even if I am not in the mood for enjoying music.

I have just replayed some tracks from my last decent listening session, and have been surprised by detail I had missed. It is particularly good now at revealing subtle acoustic guitar which might have been previously hiding in the mix. I reckon the microdynamics are really really good now, and the staging is much bigger, especially in the vertical plane. More to report by the weekend, I hope.

There is definitely some mileage in power supplies.
    Just as I hoped!

The more info, the merrier.
  • Simon just told me he is going to send a TeddyReg alternative over when he's ready so I can compare! No pressure then...

Actually I'm almost decided already that if the performance is at least close between batteries & Teddypower,I'd go with Teddys for ease of use wrt recharging etc.
  • Teddys or SuperTeddys all the way.  Neat, cheap and very, very good at delivering the goods.
  • Teddys or SuperTeddys all the way.  Neat, cheap and very, very good at delivering the goods.

Do you have a DIY guide to 'Teddys' ? How easy is it and rough cost ? Can you make a 12v version ?

Thanks

• I give you the 12v Teddy:

Da Daaa!
    =D>
  • You're on good form today mate

:-)) :-))
  • I'd hate to see what a 24V Teddy looks like :-(

I've finally done a hat-trick...of Young "errors" as I had it give no sounds whatsoever.  It locked on and showed the bit rate I was transmitting (I do like that retro display btw) but no sound.  Lavry Dac worked fine.  Spoke with Keith and told to power off for a few mins.  That did the trick.
  • I had that too yesterday, when I put the battery supply on. I powered down the DAC, stopped all audio programmes and swapped to the battery supply. No sound at all when hooked up again, much to my anxiety - though I also had accurate sample rate read-outs. I went back to the stock supply, and the MAC had a panic attack & crashed!

When I rebooted everything was fine, so I powered everything down again & went back to the battery pack - and all was fine once more. I had supposed the hog mode from decibel was still 'seeing' the DAC even when decibel wasn't on, and switching off & changing power supplies exited it a bit. Were you playing with power supplies Andy?

I also had channel inversion shortly after, but a switch - off for a minute cured that.

Can't wait for v.2!
  • I had that too yesterday, when I put the battery supply on. I powered down the DAC, stopped all audio programmes and swapped to the battery supply. No sound at all when hooked up again, much to my anxiety - though I also had accurate sample rate read-outs. I went back to the stock supply, and the MAC had a panic attack & crashed!

When I rebooted everything was fine, so I powered everything down again & went back to the battery pack - and all was fine once more. I had supposed the hog mode from decibel was still 'seeing' the DAC even when decibel wasn't on, and switching off & changing power supplies exited it a bit. Were you playing with power supplies Andy?

I also had channel inversion shortly after, but a switch - off for a minute cured that.

Can't wait for v.2!
    Hi Alan.  No, just pressed play on my iPhone and nowt.  Cycled everthing, still nothing.  Tried my Lavry DA10 and that worked fine.  Tried the Young, still nothing.  Panic, rang Keith and apologised for blowing up his DAC :-)

I'll post a "how-to" about building a TR or STR supply on a new thread.  It's worth separating as this type of PSU is like a HiCap, but many prefer the results...it certainly "'scopes" better and has loads of uses, like powering CDP, pre-amps, DACs, phono-stages etc.  The only caveat is that it uses mains voltage and hence needs to be built and double checked so you don't kill yourself (or someone else!) etc.
  • That would be great Andy - I can solder to a very basic level, but have several friends who are 'part p' electricians, so we ought to be able to manage it safely between us.
  • That would be great Andy - I can solder to a very basic level, but have several friends who are 'part p' electricians, so we ought to be able to manage it safely between us.
    Yip, well worth it, you'll be fine.  It's easy to make a mistake, like not earthing the case properly etc :-).  I get everything I make checked by a mate who knows better.
  • I'd hate to see what a 24V Teddy looks like :-(

I've finally done a hat-trick...of Young "errors" as I had it give no sounds whatsoever.  It locked on and showed the bit rate I was transmitting (I do like that retro display btw) but no sound.  Lavry Dac worked fine.  Spoke with Keith and told to power off for a few mins.  That did the trick.
    Been there. Done it. Got the t-shirt.  :)

Can't wait for v.2!
    Hi Alan.  No, just pressed play on my iPhone and nowt.  Cycled everthing, still nothing.  Tried my Lavry DA10 and that worked fine.  Tried the Young, still nothing.  Panic, rang Keith and apologised for blowing up his DAC :-)

I'll post a "how-to" about building a TR or STR supply on a new thread.  It's worth separating as this type of PSU is like a HiCap, but many prefer the results...it certainly "'scopes" better and has loads of uses, like powering CDP, pre-amps, DACs, phono-stages etc.  The only caveat is that it uses mains voltage and hence needs to be built and double checked so you don't kill yourself (or someone else!) etc.
    Excellent Andy. Go ahead.

The more hi-fi info we have here, the better.
  • Battery info for the Young, this may help if you are considering making your own Lithium rechargeable,
    Marco this morning,
    'yes, 15V are ok. The problem is that you'll have short duration as the internal circuit will start operating bad when the battery falls under 14.3V. And the real operating voltage at full charge for  elements is 14.8V. Using 5 x 3.7V elements, instead, for a total voltage of 18.5V at full charge will give you more duration...
  • Thanks Keith

Are you still planning to offer your own battery power unit?
  • Just to confirm, safe operating voltage for the Young is 15-18V?  Is that correct?
  • Yes that is correct, with the warning proviso above.
    Keith.
  • Dave Hi, yes we are ,I am just waiting to near from Multi cell, ( they made the battery for the Evo) we will just sell them at cost plus vat, I don't know how much they are going to charge, but I will let you know as soon as.
    Keith.
  • That's cool, Keith. It's very generous of you not to put on a mark-up.

Subject to seeing the street price, I'll wait for one of those rather than bodge one.

Any sign of the V2 Youngs, yet?
  • Whilst I like the improvements the battery power supply brings sonically, I'm far from convinced I can live with the faff of recharging the things...not hard-core enough, am I?

>:P

My breath is being held for one of the Teddycap based supplies.

Keith - I just found that Amarra doobrie in my drawer, I forgot all about it. I'll be away much of the weekend, so I'll try to install it next week. If you want it back for someone else sooner let me know & I'll post forthwith.
  • edited February 2011
    Whilst I like the improvements the battery power supply brings sonically, I'm far from convinced I can live with the faff of recharging the things...not hard-core enough, am I?

>:P

My breath is being held for one of the Teddycap based supplies.

Keith - I just found that Amarra doobrie in my drawer, I forgot all about it. I'll be away much of the weekend, so I'll try to install it next week. If you want it back for someone else sooner let me know & I'll post forthwith.
    I'm already recharging my MacBook, so I don't think the battery supply for the Young will make my life much more difficult.

I don't feel much like building a TeddyCap supply. Unless it's obviously better than the battery supply. Then I'll have to reconsider.

But before I go buying any additional power supplies, I'll need to have a fully functioning Young.
  • Ditto the last point, battery-boy!
  • My Young is starting to corrode from all these weeks of exposure to sea air  :)
  • Are you sure it's not exposure to your wit?
  • My acid wit? Of course not! ;-)

And it's not through exposure to my Exposures. I use NVA (ta-da!)
  • edited February 2011

Does the young dac sounds natural and real without any digital artifacts? I'm looking for a DAC that has enough detail, resolution, transparency, bass and soundstage that voice and instruments sounds real. Is the Young DAC NOS design? How does it compare to db Audio Labs Tranquility DAC? This was one of the DAC in my wishlist but no 24bit 192khz support.  

Kenneth

• edited February 2011
    Hello Kenneth,

Good questions, the answer to which I have mostly no idea. It isn't NOS, but it is by far the best source I have heard (so yes it is natural & fee from artefacts). Once the next batch arrives in London, I'm sure you could arrange a demo. The UK dealer, Purite Audio is extremely helpful & accommodating. The owner, Keith ( posts as Coops ) will be able to advise.
  • Hi Kenneth

The Young is to my ears very special, really pushing my system up several more levels than I thought possible at the price point. But you will need to wait for the new batch as the first one has problems, which you have no doubt read about in this thread and elsewhere.

Once M2Tech have solved the problems, I think they'll have an absolute winner on their hands. I can't say how it compares to the Tranquility DAC, because I haven't heard one.

I'm sure @coops will be along soon and he will answer your questions. He's a very helpful chap. We (still) love ya Keith! :-)
  • Thanks for the quick comments. That is very encouraging. I'm in USA. So I will have to wait when dealer here have it.

I'm right now writing an email to Macros about the upgrading the power supply to get the best sound quality of M2Tech Young. Do you guys know if the dealer or anyone here to wrote to him about this? One thing my friend love about the Tranquality is you don't need to worry about the noise from the power supply or AC outlet. 

• If you read back through this thread, you'll see much discussion about alternative power supplies for the Young. I understand from what @coops has posted that Marco is happy with battery-based PSUs.

Again, I think we need for Keith to come by to get chapter and verse.
  • edited February 2011
    There's no noise I can detect from the power supply - it certainly is not a bad PSU at all - in fact, quite the opposite. Although there is nothing from M2Tech yet about an uprated PSU, I believe there might be one in the future.

I'm sure you have read this thread and seen there is scope to improve the stock supply. I have a borrowed battery supply and it makes a worthwhile improvement in all areas. That chap who made it has spoken with Marco & determined what kind voltages the Young can take; It can go quite high if the supply is regulated.

Once we get the units with new firmware - which will hopefully resolve all the 'pre-production bugs' - I'll investigate further, once the Young is definitely a keeper.
  • To follow on from Uglymusic's point, Keith has commissioned a battery power supply intended for the Young with Marco's approval. He already does this for the Evo.
  • I got an email from Marco this morning, it's worth quoting it in part:

"thank you for your e-mail and your precious
    feedback. I can tell you that your unit, as part of the very first batch,
    suffers some firmware bugs which we have solved. So we're sending Keith some
    replacement boards with updated firmware to allow Keith replacing them in the
    customers' units. This replacement will be of course free of charge. Keith will
    notify when ready to do it."

The time frame is still indistinct, but progress is being made - we all want to see the Young 'sorted' properly as it shows very great potential.