Young DAC

Comments

• Does the young dac sounds natural and real without any digital artifacts? I'm looking for a DAC that has enough detail, resolution, transparency, bass and soundstage that voice and instruments sounds real. Is the Young DAC NOS design? How does it compare to db Audio Labs Tranquility DAC? This was one of the DAC in my wishlist but no 24bit 192khz support.  

Kenneth

Indeed good points...I think the Young (in it's first and faulty guise) is good enough to warrant the sale of my Lavry DA-10.  There was a slight "digititis" sometimes assoc with the Lavry, something I'd been in touch with JKenny and others who "know" about.  JKenny's modified HiFace or the Evo may have rectified this, however the Young has Evo tech in it and certainly shows.  The sound is markedly more analogue sounding, i not longer fatigues on those recordings that were prone to a bit of edginess, not that it has lost it's razor sharp "acidity" when needed.  I went back to the Lavry once or twice one the Young arrived, and to be honest I enjoyed it, in fact at one point I nearly kept it.  However overall the Young is better for me and the Lavry is packed and ready to go to its new owner.
  • I spoke to Marco this morning, and he promises faithfully that the new batch should be shipping soon, hopefully to arrive next week, ( we shall see) Kenneth hi, I havent heard the tranquility DAC either, I have heard quite a few NOS designs Audio Note ACK Zanden , gnerally quite pleasant but appear to roll off at the extremes?
    Always best to compare equipment in your system, if you would like to try one just let me know.
    Keith.
  • Thanks for the update Keith

The new DAC will help my recovery along after my op :-)
  • I do hope it arrives in a timely fashion Keith.  It did take a while for v1 unfortunately.
  • Quite!
    I can only apologise ,again for the delay.
    Kind regards Keith.
  • First post here - followed alan brown link to here from Pinkfishmedia.
    I saw my name (jkenny) being mentioned a couple of times in the thread & would like to say something about clean PS supply as it seems to be in discussion here. 

There are some measurements of the stock Hiface and a modified Hiface (not mine) over on DIyHiFi.org in this thread - http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44787#p44787 Unfortunately you won't be able to view the graphs unless you are a member but you can read the text. JosephK modified a Hiface by removing the on-board switching regulators & using external linear supplies to power the board. To paraphrase his conclusions:
    - The switching regulators introduce distortion below 10KHz & in the 70-80KHz regions
    - Removing them removes these distortions
    - removing them improves the sound

My reason for pointing this out is that improving the external PS will more than likely improve the sound but there is also the need to look at the internal switching regulators to realise the best sound form this unit.

John

• Always best to compare equipment in your system, if you would like to try one just let me know.
    Keith.
    I would love to try one but I'm in USA. So I'm waiting for a US dealer. I love the Tranquality DAC because it sounds like analog but did not purchase it because I want a 24bit 192khz DAC for my hi res music. Has you ever ask Macros when the DAC will upsample the source? I would assume it only upsample 16bit 44.1 but not 24bit 96khz or higher.
  • edited February 2011
    Kenneth - I'm struggling today with a really bad head-cold that's making everything very fuzzy - I'm not sure I understand your post (my fault - not yours!) - have you read the product page here?

http://www.m2tech.biz/young.asp

Marco is a busy man, but has always responded to emails promptly, so you could ask him directly. We are mindful of not taking up too much of his time though as we want our 'V.01' Youngs updated soon!

I don't know if that will help at all. The Young is different to my last 24/192 DAC in most ways by having a most natural presentation; it's handling of texture & dynamics is superb. The DAC as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, as for a while I was using it with a HiFace (whilst waiting for the USB drivers to be compiled). Once the HiFace was removed the improvements were tangible, even though the DAC shares much in common with HiFace & EVO. As uglymusic says, the best bet is to try it for yourself.
  • edited February 2011
    First post here - followed alan brown link to here from Pinkfishmedia.
    I saw my name (jkenny) being mentioned a couple of times in the thread & would like to say something about clean PS supply as it seems to be in discussion here. 

There are some measurements of the stock Hiface and a modified Hiface (not mine) over on DIyHiFi.org in this thread - http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44787#p44787 Unfortunately you won't be able to view the graphs unless you are a member but you can read the text. JosephK modified a Hiface by removing the on-board switching regulators & using external linear supplies to power the board. To paraphrase his conclusions:
    - The switching regulators introduce distortion below 10KHz & in the 70-80KHz regions
    - Removing them removes these distortions
    - removing them improves the sound

My reason for pointing this out is that improving the external PS will more than likely improve the sound but there is also the need to look at the internal switching regulators to realise the best sound form this unit.

John

It's good to see you John, and thanks for sharing your experience. Once the DAC is 'snagged' fully I think most UK users will search out decent power supply options, as using a Euro two-pin wall-wart isn't ideal at all.

I have tried a battery supply & it is excellent; I'm sure the principles behind this improvement are very familiar to you. Having someone look inside is a step further, and one I hadn't considered, so thanks for opening up another can of worms (so to speak)!

I think AudioChews needs a DIY section, so some of our clever members can educate us plebs. I want to try making a power supply myself. In the immortal words of Clarkson: "How hard can it be?"

Edit: I see we do have a DIY section! Good thinking, Admin!
  • edited February 2011

The way that I phrased the question, was a bit confuse. I meant to ask when does Young DAC upsample the source.

• edited February 2011
    So I finally joined up.image

A couple of insights into the Young DAC. It'll happily take 24v from a regulated supply and I've tried 22v from a LiFepo battery supply as well. I have a 18v SuperTeddyreg supply built up that sounds indistinguishable from the battery supply I leant to Alan. Total cost in parts for the above is just shy of £150 and took about 4 hours to build including the total arse pain of cutting the back panel for the none standard figure 8 mains connector block.

At some point I will have a poke around inside the Young and see what the internal regulators measure like and see if they can be improved upon and let you all know. I have a few other projects to start before then though.

• edited February 2011
    Good stuff Simon, thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you have to use the figure-8 mains cable instead of a captive cable? Or is it better to secure the mains to the back panel with the type of connection block that a figure-8 or IEC has?
  • Nice one sq.  I'm interested to learn it'll take 24V, standard Naim PSU voltage.  How did you work this out btw.  I'll post my build notes as well to help on this for AudioChews.
  • Just. heard from Multi Cell, they have an 18volt Lithium rechargeable with trickle charge ( perhaps they have to check with charger manufacturer ) they are charging me £150 ish which means about £180 Inc vat.
    I will order one to try here, too much do you think, Simon's is looking a bit of a bargain.
    Keith.
  • Simon's is, but he's not manufacturing, nor is he profiting from what I can see.

I think £180 is on the steep side of what I'm willing to part with, but looking at Teddy Pardo's prices it seems about the right ball-park.
  • Alan Hi, if anyone can suggest another company that can make up Lithium Ion battery packs I will give them a ring.
    Keith.
  • Just. heard from Multi Cell, they have an 18volt Lithium rechargeable with trickle charge ( perhaps they have to check with charger manufacturer ) they are charging me £150 ish which means about £180 Inc vat.
    I will order one to try here, too much do you think, Simon's is looking a bit of a bargain.
    Keith.
    If the Multi Cell rig does the trick, then £180 was in the range of what I was expecting.

Is anyone going to be in a position to compare all the options? PSU bake-off? :-)

Any sign of Marco's shipment of Youngs yet, Keith?
  • I have to post off Simon's battery pack to another Young user on Monday (in fact, I ought to have done so today) and Simon is now building me a superteddyregulated linear PSU as above. He tells me there is no difference between either batteries or mains, which is close enough for me. I'm much happier not having to re-charge, or as is more often the case - forgetting to!

Assuming I'm nor completely infatuated with my HiFi when the Young is updated & the supply is completed, you could maybe borrow it for two or three days.
  • Simon is hosting a build thread for my new power supply here, if you fancy having a go at one.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?51164-Power-supply-for-the-Young.
  • Simon is hosting a build thread for my new power supply here, if you fancy having a go at one.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?51164-Power-supply-for-the-Young.
    That looks like a buy one, not build one to me!
  • I have to post off Simon's battery pack to another Young user on Monday (in fact, I ought to have done so today) and Simon is now building me a superteddyregulated linear PSU as above. He tells me there is no difference between either batteries or mains, which is close enough for me. I'm much happier not having to re-charge, or as is more often the case - forgetting to!

Assuming I'm nor completely infatuated with my HiFi when the Young is updated & the supply is completed, you could maybe borrow it for two or three days.
    Thanks Alan. Always happy to borrow kit :-)
  • Spoke to the battery people again today, the Lithium ion pack is ready so I should receive that soon, I gave just ordered one initially, there is also the possibility of a Lithium Iron LiFePO battery pack, they have some advantages and come complete with charge management circuitry.
    Youngs hopefully should arrive very soon, or Marc 'sleeps with the fishes'!
    vb Keith.
  • You mean the (usb) bus may be along real soon? I'm getting soaked waiting here by the sea  ;)
  • I'm looking forward to my M2Tech 'Mature'.
  • Just don't go grating it over your pasta  :O :)
  • I thought they all had a built in grater on the front.

New marketing line: 'With an M2Tech, a man can do grate things.'
  • Nooooooooooooo  X_X :)
  • You alright? Must be the drugs...
  • What is going on  :-O
  • If you haven't beent through Kolinahr yourself, I can only recommend the painkilling drugs Dave is taking as an alternative.

It's just a little epic thread drift, that's all...
  • Without any new Young DACs to talk about, we have to improvise  :!! :-W :-D
  • It is a pain in the arse frankly, almost every manufacturer is the same, promise a date and then never stick to it, this delivery was paid for almost a month ago!
    I am sorry.
    Keith.
  • Does that mean it's not coming as expected Keith?

To continue the thread drift, I cooked a nice rib of beef the other evening.
  • That's the spirit Andy!

:D

@coops Keith - don't feel bad - we all are pleased to be dealing with you. Join in the fun & be silly if you like (you'll feel better)!
  • No Uz I hoped this week, hopefully next, just venting my spleen!
    Vb Keith.
  • Well, in that case I'm off pasta and pizza, valpol and alba truffles until v2 graces our shores
  • Dear 'Young' owners club, motto 'patience is a virtue',
    Just heard from Marco shipping today or tomorrow latest!!!!!!
    Hard to believe I know!
    vb Keith.
  • Is that by air freight or roman galley?

Dave (motto: patience is next to impossible) 
    :)
  • Still not going to eat anything Italian.  btw I'm also waiting for something from China, so no takeaways.  And something from Glasgow so no haggis, malt etc.  I reckon this Young Dac is going to trim me up nicely for the summer :-)
  • Erm, arse! Last nite after cooking a nice supper of carbonara, I encountered a btl of Springbank ;-). I am clearly rubbish.
  • Marco says he is posting the new batch of Young dacs tomorrow morning!
    I know I have said something similar before but this time!
    I just want to thank everyone again for their patience, and I sincerely hope the new batch are perfect and that you thoroughly enjoy them.
    Kind regards Keith.
  • Thanks Keith

I'm not allowing myself to get too excited at this stage, for some reason ;-)

'Marco has despatched the new Youngs and I have a tracking number that is showing me their progress across Europe' is probably better :-)

OK chaps, assuming that the Youngs arrive while we can still afford the electricity to power our rigs... What's the dirt on upgrading power supplies? We seem to have various battery ideas, plus home-brew TeddyReg PSUs, a suggestion to try a bench PSU from Rapid and I'm not sure what else.

What do you recommend?
  • He has confirmed that he has shipped!
    br Keith.
  • (allows a small uglymusic wiggle of delight)  :-)

Thanks Keith

When can we expect the Vaughan? (did I really say that? :-) )
  • I prefer Neil Young to Frankie Vaughan - I'm sticking!

I'll let you know about the PSU when I've fixed the big rig.
  • OK chaps, assuming that the Youngs arrive while we can still afford the electricity to power our rigs... What's the dirt on upgrading power supplies? We seem to have various battery ideas, plus home-brew TeddyReg PSUs, a suggestion to try a bench PSU from Rapid and I'm not sure what else.

Well I made an 18v Super TeddyReg psu and it works a treat. I think this approach will be at least as good as the battery version and a lot easier. I have one spare built and tested STR board made if anyone fancies having a go. I may even have a spare cap/rectifier board with Kendeil capacitors. All that would be needed is a transformer and an iec switch/ fuse and a box to house it in.
  • Dave - I think you should look at this. I put Simon's supply on today, as well as the EVA supply. I've done no critical listening yet as it took all day to fix various bits on the system, and the amp has been off for six days.

But I can say the difference between the stock Young unit & the linear regulated one is at least of the order of the EVA upgrade. More impressions by the weekend...
  • OK chaps, assuming that the Youngs arrive while we can still afford the electricity to power our rigs... What's the dirt on upgrading power supplies? We seem to have various battery ideas, plus home-brew TeddyReg PSUs, a suggestion to try a bench PSU from Rapid and I'm not sure what else.

Well I made an 18v Super TeddyReg psu and it works a treat. I think this approach will be at least as good as the battery version and a lot easier. I have one spare built and tested STR board made if anyone fancies having a go. I may even have a spare cap/rectifier board with Kendeil capacitors. All that would be needed is a transformer and an iec switch/ fuse and a box to house it in.
    PM with you.
  • BTW, from aural memory - no difference with regulated supply & batteries.

Well, actually I'm preferring the regulated supply, but that could be happiness at getting everything back online, and the fact that this excellent little PSU is mine....
    :>
  • back to ya Dave.