Young DAC

Comments

• 1Z8X31100495331394
    Should be here tomorrow!
    Interested to hear your thoughts regarding power supplies the Multi cell pack should be here next week.
    Thanks again everyone,Keith.
  • Excellent news!

Whatever power supply you choose, decent improvements can be made over stock. Let us know what you think when they arrive.

• Thanks Keith. You're a star!
  • Wonderful Keith.  Thanks for keeping us informed.

I completely agree with Alan, a decent DC supply, be it battery or otherwise, transforms the performance of the Young Dac.  BTW, this holds true for many things; HiFi, Telly, some even say toasters ;-)
  • You don't miss the Lavry then?

;)

I quite wanted a Lavry for a long time.
  • I don't regret buying the Lavry at all.  It's a wonderful DAC and thus quite a serious contender.  However, I have without a shadow of a doubt enjoyed more the music through the Young.  It's not about 384 that's for sure, I suspect it's to do with the way it handles incoming data/jitter.  The Young just doesn't seem to have the edginess that sometimes intruded on listening.

I is happy.
  • That's great news Keith, new boards and the battery pack.

Does the battery charger just switch off the charge function between a higher and lower trigger voltage, so that you get smooth voltage- uninterrupted by the slight noise of a trickle charge once it's fully charged?

I do think i slightly prefer the battery pack sound, but it's such a hassle using mine without an auto-switching function. I'll settle for the Teddy supply, I can't see any measured difference between them so I'm prepared to put my slight preference down to lower initial expectations for the battery pack.

Just found out that Les does his pre-amp cases for £35 including sled, so I'm going to repackage my power supply in that new case over the next couple of days.

Ugly, if you fancy a Superteddyreg supply let me know, i think I can bring myself to build one more before I lose the will to solder.

Si
  • That's great news Keith, new boards and the battery pack.

Does the battery charger just switch off the charge function between a higher and lower trigger voltage, so that you get smooth voltage- uninterrupted by the slight noise of a trickle charge once it's fully charged?

I do think i slightly prefer the battery pack sound, but it's such a hassle using mine without an auto-switching function. I'll settle for the Teddy supply, I can't see any measured difference between them so I'm prepared to put my slight preference down to lower initial expectations for the battery pack.

Just found out that Les does his pre-amp cases for £35 including sled, so I'm going to repackage my power supply in that new case over the next couple of days.

Ugly, if you fancy a Superteddyreg supply let me know, i think I can bring myself to build one more before I lose the will to solder.

Si
    PM with you.
  • Keith. You got them yet???
  • It only weighs 20Kg.  That's not many Dacs unless they're just shipping pcb.  Bergamo, that's a nice medieval town.  Had salted-horse there, very tasty :-)
  • They weigh just less than a kilo each, I think, so less than 20 when packing is taken into account - I believe that they are DACs, not boards.

I've never had salted horse (of course) :-(
  • Oh good Dave.  20Kg of salted horse weighs about the same, i hope they got the right box ;-)
  • The right box contents being salted horse or DACs?
  • Good point!  I think a bit of both would be the ideal compromise, or DACs with slices of slated horse as resonance damping.  mmmm, nice!
  • Update on power supplies.

Simon has very kindly offered to build me a PSU, and I'm going to take him up on that once the new Young is in place. That means Andy (@Uzinusa) still has the key parts of a PSU up for grabs, if anyone is interested. He's happy to help noobs, but you will need someone who knows what they're doing to check your work for safety.

PM him if you're interested. The word is that a regulated PSU pushes the Young to appreciably greater heights.
  • Total 58kgs!
    Keith.
  • So 38kg of salted horse. Bring it on!  :D
  • Yes!  Keith, what's your price on the horse?
  • Arrived!
    vb Keith.
  • Photos pls!!!!
  • Yeah! Dancing in the street down here in the People's Republic of Worthing :-)
  • edited February 2011
    How's the packing going Keith?  :-D
  • At least the salted horse doesn't need refrigeration Keith so that's one less thing for you to worry about.  :-?
  • Hmmm...don't go much on salt.
  • How about horse?

"Black pepper, sir?" (my best Italian waiter impression)
  • I'll pay for next day before 1pm shipping Keith.
  • That's not going to be cheap for a horse Si
  • Ok you guys all packed and posting tomorrow ,expect a familiar looking parcel Saturday morning, again I can't thank you enough for your patience.
    Very best wishes,Keith.
  • We love's ya Keith. Seriously, wouldn't want to deal with anyone else.

Have you listened to one to see if the issues have been corrected?

• edited February 2011
    OK - early impressions on the power supply - Just excellent.

The Young DAC is
    a serious piece of kit regardless of price and the power supply doesn't
    change any of the good bits. It just sounds like a better Young now - a
    bit more weight to the presentation, definition too with percussive
    strikes - It can really really drive a groove now. The bass definition
    is one the strongest strengths of the Young, the new PSU makes it easier
    to appreciate during busy passages. There seems to be a bit more 'shape'
    to all the sounds now (how I hate talking in metaphors - I don't really
    know how to describe it but this flowery nonsense makes sense to me).
  • Inky blackness? B-)
  • Only when my pet octopus is listening with me...
  • Better summation: I just cannot sit still!
    :-D \:D/
  • Mine arrives tomorrow - cannot wait to try it.

• edited February 2011
    Is yours from Purite Papa?
  • Yes. Haven't even heard a Young yet, so very interested.
  • Try a PSU on it, trust me.  
    Sq, Alan, what Voltage are you driving your Young with?  Have you noticed any difference when giving it different voltages.  I had a play but was unconvinced with the objectivity of my findings.  Having said that, I "felt" that giving it a few more than 15V had a beneficial effect.
    Andy
  • Mine arrives tomorrow - cannot wait to try it.

Another distinguished member of the Young DAC Owners' Club :-)
  • I thought Simon said (remember that?) it was 18 volts he set it to.
  • Its on demo loan from Keith - that is at least until it kicks the arse of my CD player's internal DAC.

If it does i'll purchase and look for a better PSU.

• OK I missed that, thanks.  Incidentally that's what I've tuned mine to.
  • In that case....
    Another distinguished member of the Young DAC Loaners' Club 
    :-))
  • I guess that's strictly my status, as continued ownership is subject to the state of fixedness of V2.
  • Which power supply are you talking about Alan?  A new stock one from Antelope?  I'm confused...sorry.

BTW,. mine is at my US dealer being retrofitted with new board(s).
  • edited February 2011
    Simon sq22591 made it for me. It is a Super Teddy Regulated supply set to 18 volts (are you familiar with Teddy Pardo & his work?).

It seems every bit as good as the battery supply I used for a few weeks, so now I'm all set for my new Young to arrive.
  • edited February 2011
    Ah thanks.  Yes, have a Teddy Pardo PS coming this way for my buddy's Antelope Zodiac Plus (also 18V) which I will demo in the next few weeks (again, demoed it a few months ago and came to obvious conclusion that this Antelope DAC had huge promise but needed more heft/weight in lower midrange plus).  Paul Hynes also sending me an 18V PS for both DACs (2 different umbilicals) but that will go to another US demo first.
  • Ah - please keep us updated Ted - things are obviously quite experimental at this stage. I wouldn't be without mine now.

The strangest thing is my LDR passive pre also benefited to a similar degree with a decent 12v linear supply - who would have though that LDRs were fussy? Certainly not me...
  • Never underestimate the importance of good power supply design.

I rig all the supplies at 18v, the Young is happy up to 24v, but why bother it's only run off as excess heat.