Craig Taborn, Avenging Angel

edited December 2011 in Jazz
Had my first listen to this the other day, if i were a pianist i'd give up after hearing this! Incredible improvisation on a whole other level.

Comments

• It's pretty damned good, IMHO. Possibly the solo piano recording of the year, although I haven't yet bought Keith Jarrett's Rio, which is supposed to be pretty incredible.
  • Haven't bought any Jarrett for ages, as i alway think he'll stop the CD half way through and start shouting. Will try and get a listen to it.
    ;)
  • I still think Jarrett is the man - as long as he keeps away from standards!

Going back to Taborn, do you know Junk Magic? - it's electric/electronica, but it's one of my favourite albums of the last few years.

He's also great with Tim Berne and on David Torn's Prezens.
  • Yes ive heard it on Spotify a few times, i like that type of stuff where people are mixing it up a bit. Only have Light Made Lighter and Avenging Angel CDs by him.
    Like i put in the "Listening" thread gonna have to go back through it with a pen and paper and take down some names as lots of them are new to me, still discovering new artists albums all the time.

Have you heard Jarrett's Rio?
  • edited December 2011
    This year I've really had the bit between my teeth discovering new jazz. There are so many great young (and not-so-young) players out there, and many are putting out their material on their own labels, or indie labels. It's a fantastic time for music! 

I will have heard Rio tomorrow. I ordered it late last night from Amazon :-)