Avondale rebuilt RB250
Mission 774
Mission 774SM
Tonearm Audio - 12" Cherry Wood arm
SME 3009 Series 2
AT 1100
Terminator T2

Comments

• Was always a fan of the original 774 Jim - in fact the first ever LP12 I heard was wearing one, along with a 773 cartridge. Blew me away at the time. :)

Reckon the 774 would work well on my Thorens.

• Agreed.  I reckon the old 774 was their best ever.  The SM version is awful and the Mechanic is to much like an Ittok.

It's one of the few I don't have any more, I sold it when I got rid of my first 401 - bloody idiot that I am!  I had the P77 on the 774 on the 401.  It sounded very good but I convinced myself a sprung sub-chassis TT had to be better - d'oh!
  • Didn't they also do an 'LC' version of the 774, which was a re-badged Jelco?
  • ADC? lightweight arm in the early 80s that I tried on the Thorens TD166 before I understood anything about arm setup!
    Ittok LVII bought with the LP12 in 1983
    Linn Ekos, later upgraded to Mk2 status by Linn for an astonishingly small amount of money.  I wish I'd kept it.
    Michell TecnoarmA, early version with cotton cable sleeving.
    Nottingham SpaceArm
    Another TecnoarmA, later version with nylon braid covered wiring, which was horrendously microphonic.  Microphony cured by getting Audio Origami to rewire it with Cardas OFC copper and his Van Damme stuff.
    Jelco SA-750D, bought for the SL-1210 but gets used on everything.  Nicely musical, if not the last word in detail or grip.  Too massy for the Benz Glider, which is a shame.
    Linn Ittok LVII, rewired and foam-filled by Audio Origami.  Lovely arm - my favourite by some margin.  Lift/lower device needs regreasing, so if anyone knows how to do it, please let me know!

I think you're right mate.  Didn't it have a circular bearing housing?  By all reckoning Jelco make most arms!

I think you're right mate.  Didn't it have a circular bearing housing?  By all reckoning Jelco make most arms!
    That's the one Jim - I think it was always a pretty safe budget(ish) recommendation. Talking of Jelco making nearly everything, there was always a rumour going round that they made the Ittok, or certainly one version of it (LVIII perhaps?). Could be wrong though.
  • JimJim
    edited December 2010
    Not sure if they made the Ittok but I do know for 100% certain that when the Ittok first came out it was £294.00 and Linn were paying £29.40 for batches of 100 from whover did make it in Japan.  It could have been Audio Technica.
  • SME 3009/S2
    Mayware IV
    Mission 774 (original)
    Syrinx PU2
    Syrinx PU2 Gold + mass ring
    SME Series III  - 'orrible
    Helius Aureus
    Rega RB300
    Linn LVX+
    Linn Black Ittok
    SME 309
    SME IV
    Rega RB1000 (on P9)
    Hadcock GH 242 Export

A few on integrated players excluded.

Mission 774 is a gem as already mentioned. Great on the LP12.

SME IV is a favourite.

Worst are the Mayware and Hadcock - don't usually like unipivots though.

• Started with the Dual cs505
    then
    LP12 with the Basik
    Ittok
    Ekos
    Now the same Ekos is on my Michell Orbe.
    (Much easier than trying to remember the carts I've had!)

Matt.
  • edited February 2011
    Ittok
    Nima
    Aro
  • edited February 2011
    Morch UP-4. The only arm I've owned (since 1984).
    This unipivot is still mounted on my Thorens TD 160 MK II.

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • edited February 2011
    Linn Akito Mk1
    Rega RB300
    Origin Live Silver Mk2
    Michell Tecnoarm
    SME V (MCS150 wired)
    Helius Aereus II (Kondo silver wired)
    Alphason HR100S (Kondo silver wired)

Particularly fond of the SME V for its design and build. Sonically i like the HR100S the most TBH. A very good arm IMO.
  • hi all,
    some nice collections indeed.
    on my systemdek IIX i am using an audiomods,
    on my p3 i have a modded rb300,
    other arms that are awaiting one repair or another,
    mission 774 original (bearings need replacing)
    alphason xenon mcs (saving some pennies for a kondo rewire) killer arm , so good at getting the music out of the groove and into the room , it may have flaws but i havent heard them yet,
    the mission and alphason seem to thrive on any half decent suspended deck and tend to leave rega arms sounding a bit gray and mechanical.
    all the best,
    matt

• roughly in order current on top.

SMEv
    Naim Aro.
    kuzma Stabi 
    RB700
    SME 3009 mk2 un-imp.
    Zeta
    SMEv