Shindo Auriege/Border Patrol Preamps Home Demo

edited January 2012 in Amplifiers
Still feeling like I have a valve itch to scratch, so yesterday I picked up a Shindo Auriege and a Border Patrol Control Unit Pre to try in my system.  This afternoon I've got a few hours with the house to myself so can let both pre's loose and see what impact they have on my system.

The Shindo has been warming up for the last couple of hours....now time to see what all the fuss is about.

Comments

• Hello James,

How are things going? Isn't the anticipation of taking kit home to demo brilliant, almost as good as listening to it. I don't know what the kit is, but I think valve equipment has a certain charm to it.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Regards

Justin
  • I'm sorry, James, you've got me there... Shuffles off to Google to see what he can find.
  • OK. I see. Looks very interesting.

I also realise that just as I drop the pre-, you're deciding to add one. It's fun this hobby 'nnit?
  • It is indeed a funny old hobby :-). I'm sitting here listening to Chris Bergson Band and am captivated yet stumped in equal measure as to what the Shindo is doing which is making my system sound so good.....it's like my system is now on steroids!

There appears to be no trade off in terms of detail or soundstage - if anything the soundstage is deeper than before. Great texture to bass notes, slightly rolled off treble perhaps.....interesting. Right, now time to try the Border Patrol Pre (even less info on Google about this one).

PS Justin - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop right now :-)

• Here is a pic of the Shindo (pardon the iPhone pic quality and spaghetti junction at the back)......

• Border Patrol......

• Well the Border Patrol sounds quite different to the Shindo. I would says it's the
    more transparent of the two with less frequency roll off at the extremes. In fact the bass emanating from my speakers carries more weight than it did with the Shindo, yet the texture of the Shindo is retained. I love the way voices sound with the Border Patrol - very natural. Leading edges of guitar notes also have greater bite. It's like the Shindo sound is a little blunted in comparison.

More to follow.

• Looking good!!!!

Justin
  • From what you say, the border patrol will be more interesting & exciting to listen to music through, though the Shindo looks nicer imo.

Still, I have some ugly HiFi that only stays because it sounds so good! Mind you, it looks like a nice quandary to be in.
  • I agree Alan. The Shindo looks great and my pic doesn't do it justice. The Border Patrol is a bit John Major in the looks dept.
  • Bloody hell, James, it's not that bad. You'll hurt the poor thing's feelings!
  • Well I've pretty much discounted the Shindo - it's too conservative and doesn't seem best suited to my active speakers. The Border Patrol is a superb pre. I'm going to see if I can get hold of a Pure Sound L300 to try at home, just to see if it is that much better than the Border Patrol. Only problem with the Puresound is that it's 500mm deep #-o. Oh and let's just say it is challenged in the looks department.
  • I'm going to visit Coherent Systems on Saturday to here some different pre's and DAC's in my system. Really looking forward to swapping in and out bits of kit to see what works well. Not looking forward to lugging my system down sarf, but it promises to be worth it.
  • James Hi, you should try one of David Wrights pre amps, he designed our new amps, they are exceptionally fine.
    KR
    Keith.
  • Cheers Keith.  Does he have a website?
  • He barely answers the phone!
    But he makes extremely good stuff, je designed the Border Patrol power supply, and a,ps for Audio Note, the digital board for a very expensive. nos dac etc,
    KR Keith.
  • what are the thoughts re comparison between weiss direct to your active speakers and via BP pre?

i desperately try to get rid of preamp - either active or TVC - and it just keep on sounding better with it. so annoying:)! 
  • I know what you mean @Anubisgrau.

My original intention was to run the Weiss direct into my speakers. However, using a high quality active pre has changed my views on this. My system sounds better using a pre - it's like the pre has far greater grip and control. Bass notes have real depth and slam. With the Weiss direct the presentation is slightly flat and anaemic sounding - this only becomes apparent after A/B'ing between the two setups - don't get me wrong, the Weiss does sound very good running direct, it's just that with the right pre it sounds even better.

This week Ive spoken with more dealers, none of whom suggested that running the Weiss direct will give the best result.
  • Now. let's see. 

James: I'm thinking of spending thousands on a pre-amp, Mr Dealer. Or shall I save my money?

:D
  • They would say that though wouldn't they!
    It depends on how good the preamp is and the sound you like, really a pre should be completely transparent and just provide a good impedance match to the power amps.
    I would continue to listen and use the 'direct ' sound as a reference, personally I wouldn't eat to lose resolution or dynamics.
    KR Keith.
  • Beat me to it!
    keith
  • Seriously, we were talking elsewhere about philosophies engendered in our systems.

I've been a minimalist for years, and no pre makes sense to me on that level. It also seems to be working out sonically and musically.

By the sound of it, that's not where James comes from, and adding more circuitry may make plenty of sense.
  • edited January 2012
    There's nothing wrong with 'adding to taste' either. If the character is improved then it's for the listener to love, there is no idealistic 'right vs wrong'.

Dave is right too about all this being system dependant. He & I run similar systems and appear to looking for broadly similar sonic priorities, but both the amplifier and the speaker designers of our gear have a minimalistic approach. It seems diluting the design's ethos would stop us hearing our kit at its best.

Its fair to say the designers in question both have reputations for being idiosyncratic, so their approach is not normal (which is part of the attraction), so your mileage will vary.

If the amp modules in the Adams were developed to be happier being really driven (with an active pre) then that's the deciding factor, innit? But in Daniel Weiss' R&D system, the 202 probably sounds better drivimg the amps direct.

Of course, none of us, nor the Adam designer nor Daniel Weiss live in your front room (have you checked under the sofa?), so you only know what's best (it's the Border Patrol!?).
  • Ha! I wish it was the Shindo Alan. This is all about system synergy to me. No two systems are alike, and while I do subscribe to the fewer components is best/purist approach, there is something going on with an active pre in my system that puts a bigger smile on my face - that's what it's all about for me. I would certainly prefer to not spend yet more money on my system.

Now I can hear how the Shindo is warming things up, rolling off the frequency extremes. It is definitely adding something.

The Border Patrol is more neutral sounding than the Shindo. Perhaps it is as Keith says a question of impedence matching, and in my system it takes an active pre to adequately drive my speakers. There is no loss of dynamics or resolution with the Border Patrol - quite the opposite in terms of dynamics. It was clear within the first few bass drum kicks of the first track I played that the Border Patrol provides greater bass depth, better texture and seemingly more control over my speakers.

On Saturday I'll be able swap out my DAC, speakers, add a pre etc at my leisure and I'm looking forward to hearing the difference each change makes.
  • That sounds like fun, you must be looking forward to thar. Do let us know how the day went, pics too if you like? Its up to Tony (I thinks it's Tony) who owns Coherent.

BTW, I unfairly edited my post while you were writing yours, because I remembered the Shindig wasn't your fave, it was the Snow Patrol! :P
  • Good luck at the weekend James, sounds like a good day will be had by all!!

Justin
  • Cheers Justin.  Will report back on how it goes.
  • edited January 2012
    I know what you mean @Anubisgrau.

My original intention was to run the Weiss direct into my speakers. However, using a high quality active pre has changed my views on this. My system sounds better using a pre - it's like the pre has far greater grip and control. Bass notes have real depth and slam. With the Weiss direct the presentation is slightly flat and anaemic sounding - this only becomes apparent after A/B'ing between the two setups - don't get me wrong, the Weiss does sound very good running direct, it's just that with the right pre it sounds even better.

This week Ive spoken with more dealers, none of whom suggested that running the Weiss direct will give the best result.
    well, i also wouldn't trust every dealer - unless really honest - but i also don't think a good preamp will be dismissed if the SQ is the main thing. that said, i'm a bit worried that my clear preference for m2tech young over MDAC is a consequence of young being used via very good tube preamp (euridice WOT) and MDAC run direct. i should try MDAC with fixed output through euridice over the weekend to see if this fixes my main complaint (a bit too smooth/polite/lifeless) which goes along your remarks for weiss direct....

no, i don't think it's yet time to throw the (good) preamps out no matter how much i would love to. grrrr.....
  • edited January 2012
    just inserted my preamp between MDAC and my power amps.
    the difference aint subtle. more timbral richness and more dynamic from the first second, hands down.
    i believe now the only fair comparison between MDAC and young should be done with an external preamp and MDAC set to fixed output.
    i am not happy to say it but it's not time yet to dump a (good) preamp.
  • Remind me again @anubisgrau, are your power amps designed to work with an active or passive preamp?
  • edited January 2012
    power amps arent the only criteria for passive amps. it's actually about matching impedances of your source and your power amps - you need low impedance source and high impedance power amps. that said, i'm as close to ideal for passive amps as possible as my power amps have 100k input impedance and all my sources are very low, between 3 and 100 ohm.

i have both passive, passive bufferred and active preamps in my room. all have their strengths, all three are quite remarkable machines despite all being either DIY or small manufacturer's. right now i installed a tube (active) preamp based on a half of 6N6P triode per channel, tamura transformer coupled. for me it's one of the best i've heard regardless of price - if interested more, please google "euridice tube preamplifier" and you will get some idea.

with it, i'm getting quite a lot from what i'm originally missing from MDAC: tonal richness, more "meat", much better drive, slam & dynamics. strangely, john westlake said the output impedance of MDAC is 3 ohm, while the dac itself driving power amps sounds to me like it has actually impedance too high for this (usual symtoms are lack of drive and energy)....
  • How did you get on James, was it an expensive day? $-)
  • Hi Justin. Literally just got back after spending six hours listening to a broad range of kit :O I'll start a separate more detailed thread about the kit I heard, some of which I'll never be able to afford, but it was fascinating to here nonetheless - £20k Estoteric DAC anyone?!

I didn't go with the intention of replacing my DAC, but after listening to a Bel Canto DAC I've decided to sell my Weiss. I'll explain why when I do a more complete write up.

Cheers, James.
  • I would love to be there for you, to support you through this difficult transition, by offering to take your Weiss off your hands for you. But I cant!
    :((