Active pro monitors in domestic setting

edited January 2012 in Digital
I know James uses Adams, just wondering how many other chewie use 'Pro' monitor at home,
KR Keith.

Comments

• Didn't @Justin just get some?
  • Yes. Big daddy Adams.....Tensor Gamma's
  • Yes, there almost as big as the hole in my bank account!! For anyone looking at active speakers, I can't recommend enough. As I'm sure James I'm sure will testify, Adam's sound just sooo natural and effortless, with so much detail and soundstage. I put the deposit down today, they are off to get serviced, and I got 2 x 6 metres of Chord Chorus 2 thrown in for nothing. A very happy bunny, just trying to ignore the emails from the guy whose Beta's I was looking at, a price just too much!!!

Will post a picture when all set up. Just going through the arduous job of downloading the cd collection!

Just wanted to say thanks James for your report on yours, as this helped at a time when I wasn't sure which way to go. Apparently Weiss and Adam's is a popular choice, dealer said he has sold a number of systems with both in.

Good weekend guys and girls

Justin
  • edited January 2012
    Perhaps we should have an active monitor bake off!
    The thing that surprised me most about the Gens was just how similar they sounded to my horns, tone timbre dynamics and no box coloration !
    I am really impressed, listening to them now through their inbuilt dac and they sound super.
    KR Keith.
  • A bake off sounds good to me Keith.  You need to lock that Medea Plus away though  ;)

• On my way to you now Keith, should be there for midnight @-)

Justin
  • Count me in. Even if I haven't got any active monitors.
  • i used to have ATC 20A. 
    the day when i sold them was one of the better.
  • I have never been convinced by ATC ,really cheap drivers in an ordinary box, I remember going to the Cornflake Shop to hear a pair, I had Meridian actives at that time, and was all set to buy the ATC's ,I remember I asked the guy to turn them down, and then turn them down again!
    Realy awful harsh sound ,in retrospect their dem room was tiled fairly bereft of furniture.
    Keith.
  • I'm actually looking for some small active speakers to use on my desk. I'm thinking of the Adam A3X, but I've never had the opportunity to listen to them. Opinions? Alternatives?
  • I have never been convinced by ATC ,really cheap drivers in an ordinary box, I remember going to the Cornflake Shop to hear a pair, I had Meridian actives at that time, and was all set to buy the ATC's ,I remember I asked the guy to turn them down, and then turn them down again!
    Realy awful harsh sound ,in retrospect their dem room was tiled fairly bereft of furniture.
    Keith.
    keith, it's difficult to be convinced by the speakers aimed for studio purposes in a domestic setting. the good ones are designed to be flat over a desired range. very often you want something else in your room. a bit of get-up-and-go sound, tonal colour, life and joy. 
    i see you sell genelec now. i hope they are now a bit easier to listen than before. i considered them long time ago when i had ATCs and found them very very unpleasant to listen on a long run - longer than 20-30 mins. amount of detail was stunning but it was just a pure forensic listening, devoid of any spirit and essence of music. 

• Gordan Hi, they share many characteristics of my horns, should you not want a flat response the DSP allows you to do almost anything to the FR, so you can have as much 'get up and go' whatever that is as you want.
    Keith.
  • Yay! Active monitor bake-off . . . at last! Seriously, these things are the best since sliced bread: we've been banging on about them for years: I used them in my cinema system, for my TV, for my computer - you name it, they're good for it. I'm happy to field some Adams, Focal, Yamaha, or that shamefully forgotten brand - Fostex - for inclusion if it helps.
  • Tell me when and where, and I'll be there.

I'll even make plenty of noise about the bake-off for you :-)
  • I receive a big sub for the Gens tomorrow, it becomes part of the network, and the rom correction software integrates the sub into the rest of the system,adjusting phase, crossover freq etc,it should be good,
    KR Keith.
  • Very nice Keith. Have you got an AV processor? Many people swear by Genelec for serious home cinema applications. My 8040a's were superb for movies.....lost track of the number of times I watched Kung Fu Panda for the amazing audio mix :)

Let us know how you get on with the sub >-)
  • Combining an inexpensive AV preamp with a bunch of little active speakers and pro audio sub is THE recipe for home cinema nirvana on a budget. The Adams are probably state of the art in this regard, although the Genelecs are OK, too. Lots and lots of choice: KRK, Swans, Focal, Event, Fostex, Yamaha . . .

The problem is that AV preamps not in the megabucks region are thin on the ground. The solution is either the Emotiva UMC1 or the £250 Asus HDAV Deluxe soundcard: 7.1 analog output and full BluRay audio decoding - and socketed op-amps, so you can even jam a bunch of Bursons in there . . .
  • J Hi, no I haven't ever really tried Multi channel , but films now sound absolutely fantastic played through the 8260's.
    I might investigate !
    Keith.
  • All you need is seven of them, a subwoofer and an AV Preamp . . . movie heaven.
  • Just installed the 7270A subwoofer, I rather underestimated the size!
    The sound with the Gens on their new stands and with the new sub is outrageously good,
    Keith.