Shahinian Speakers

LeeLee
edited February 2012 in Loudspeakers
Ok guys n dolls been looking at these speakers, anyone use em or have used em, been looking at the Arcs and Obelisks

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• Always wanted to, never have. They have a strong following from what I've seen. Also quite an 'out there' design. Very few have attempted omnis.
  • No, neither have I, to my shame. Always wanted to.

That's possibly my least useful post of the day :-)
  • Was interested in the Obelisks a few years back and from what I remember, despite their paper spec's (89ish db/w) were quite a demanding load, and simply couldn't be driven properly by my 40watt Lumley valve amp, which will drive most loudspeakers with relative ease. Much of this was due to the unusual bass radiator design which requires a substantial damping factor, due to the inertia of the TL radiator design (it creates substantial back emf).  With a beefy amp that has loads of current reserve and a high damping factor, they are quite remarkable for their modest size and seem particularly suited to classical music.  Just not for me.  Not a speaker to partner with valve amps really IMHO.  I borrowed a Quad 99/909 and that really could grip the speakers with ease.  There seems to be a plethora of highly regarded loudspeakers out there which have very spiky loading characteristics or low sensitivity and this just doesn't do it for me, where the simpler the crossover and more sensitive the speaker, the better.  Unfortunately, the Obelisks didn't fall into this category for me.
    • Hi Paul
    Thanks for that mate, more stuff to consider I guess, my mate was using a Manley Stingray with his arcs and they performed well together. i still think that the obs might be too bassy for my room at 12 x 11ft

Time to look at something else, maybe some PMC's although I keep looking at the Living Voice range!!

Lee
  • Had them, loved them, lost them :-(

Had no problem driving them with a Avondale NCC200 clone.

A beautiful pair of Arcs graced my gaff last year, but Mrs Uz hated them.  They'll be back when some building work has been done I vow!  I'd encourage you to find a s/h pair and try them ... Arcs ned less room than Obs. They really are something special in terms of presentation and impact.  If not your thing then you'll sell them at little if any loss.  I've now got a pair of stand mounts called Revels, was expecting to be disappointed, however I'm not.  They really are quite special ... different to the Shahinians, but nevertheless very very good indeed.
    Andy
  • I have the Compass's to which I use 300B mono's to power them with. If i were you, i'd try and get a pair on demo...you'll be surprised how good they are!