Foobar2000 under OS X

edited February 2012 in Digital
This was mentioned on CA recently.

Anyone tried it?

Comments

• Interesting read.  So Wine runs under the Mac (Unix) OS?  Didn't know that.

But I do know that Foobar, for me, is the best media player on either Winbloze or Linux.  I tried all the freeware players I could find and it always came out top.  I stopped trying a couple of years ago and just kept up with the Foobar upgrades.

There are lots of plugins for various tasks: equalisers (even left and right separately), crossovers etc.

It also plays every file format I've ever come across - even .shn!

It works completely on XP as it was written for this OS.  On Linux under Wine there are some limitations but that could be my hardware - I haven't investigated.

The Foobar authors state that it is no better or worse than anything else.  False modesty methinks.  It has a strong following amongst M$ users for good reason.

I would say have a go Dave if your OS is compatible - I (happily) know very little about the Mac
    ;)
  • I happily use it in W7, no complaints except for a compatibility issue with my office DAC - I have to use ASIO rather than WASAPI. There was a useful dynamic range plugin a while back that was interesting but has since expired, I must check to see if they updated it.

My only beef with the 'bar is it doesn't take me further from the technology, quite the opposite in fact.It actually seems to be more 'computerey' than other players.

This also means it is highly configurable to those who know what they are doing and have a real interest in this stuff. I'm not sure the benefit of using it in OSX when iTunes mates so well with A+ and the remote App. (Unless, of course, it sounds waaaay better than what I have. Audiophile nervosa and vanity might compel me to try it then!)
  • Interesting read.  So Wine runs under the Mac (Unix) OS?  Didn't know that.

But I do know that Foobar, for me, is the best media player on either Winbloze or Linux.  I tried all the freeware players I could find and it always came out top.  I stopped trying a couple of years ago and just kept up with the Foobar upgrades.

There are lots of plugins for various tasks: equalisers (even left and right separately), crossovers etc.

It also plays every file format I've ever come across - even .shn!

It works completely on XP as it was written for this OS.  On Linux under Wine there are some limitations but that could be my hardware - I haven't investigated.

The Foobar authors state that it is no better or worse than anything else.  False modesty methinks.  It has a strong following amongst M$ users for good reason.

I would say have a go Dave if your OS is compatible - I (happily) know very little about the Mac
    ;)
    Hmm. I don't think I'm exactly champing at the bit. Sounds all a bit kludgey.
  • I happily use it in W7, no complaints except for a compatibility issue with my office DAC - I have to use ASIO rather than WASAPI. There was a useful dynamic range plugin a while back that was interesting but has since expired, I must check to see if they updated it.

My only beef with the 'bar is it doesn't take me further from the technology, quite the opposite in fact.It actually seems to be more 'computerey' than other players.

This also means it is highly configurable to those who know what they are doing and have a real interest in this stuff. I'm not sure the benefit of using it in OSX when iTunes mates so well with A+ and the remote App. (Unless, of course, it sounds waaaay better than what I have. Audiophile nervosa and vanity might compel me to try it then!)
    I think your last para sums up where I am, too. Hence the question about anyone having tried it.