Upgrade plans for 2011

JimJim
edited January 2011 in Systems
Shamelessley nicked from elsewhere.  What are you going to, or would you like to, upgrade this coming year?

The only itch I need to scratch is to build some very large corner horn cabinets for my Lowthers.  I've finally got a suitable room with nothing in the way; doors, windows, radiators, fireplaces etc.  More importantly after years I've got a room that's wholly mine.  It's not that large at 11" by 14.5" but it's not shared with anything or anyone else.  And I can play at fairly loud levels without disturbing anyone :)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Also shamelessly nicked (pasted from what I put on another forum)...
    Really not sure where I'm going to go in 2011 - my system's not
    really giving me much satisfaction at the moment, and this makes me all
    the more sad as we're now living in a decent sized house with no close
    neighbours and am therefore really lucky to be able to listen at
    whatever volume I like (Mrs Gromit permitting of course - although she's
    also a muso so doesn't mind the wick being turned up).

Biggest mistakes I made in 2010...

Selling the PL71

Selling the Decca SG

Selling the NVA Phono1

Basically, I had a storming front end and thought that flogging it to
    raise every last £ for the house purchase would be good idea. It was a
    bad idea - very bad. Having heard one or 2 friends' rigs over the last 12 months I noticed a
    certain balance, something missing from my own. Probably the best front
    end I heard was Lefty's LP12/Lingo2/Nima/AT33 - quite 'LP12-ish' (be it
    good and bad) but oh so satisfying and musically convincing. I loved it.

Where to go from here though? I really don't know. The P7 has been a
    very interesting exercise - fun & frustrating really. It's a superb
    turntable, no question, and being ex-Lefty it may as well be brand new
    it's in such lovely nick. Thing is, what makes it so good at some stuff -
    rock/jazz/electronic makes it (or seems to) poor at
    classical/orchestral. I've been slightly spoilt by really good DD and
    the sense of solidity, the grounding it gives music, but ultimately the
    P7, great though it can be, it's just not 'me'.

The chances of scoring myself another decent PL71 are clearly very
    small, although I will keep looking. Go for a Garrard? Always a
    possibility although getting a really good one will cost £££. I could
    always re-plinth/re-arm the little TD150 which would be fun, but I may
    as well just get myself a decent LP12 and be done with it.

Amp-wise, I'm very happy with the Claymore. I'm not going to kid myself
    in saying it's better than the XXI/XVIII mono's - of course it isn't -
    but it's released funds to throw at a better turntable, whatever that me
    be.

Digital-wise I'm chuffed to bits with the Dacmagic - like its more lofty
    brother the 840C (which I owned a while ago) it just gets on with the
    job of polishing up what it's fed and turning it into a very
    satisfyingly musical whole. I'm a fan, so much so that I'm preferring
    the digital side of my system to the analogue. No great plans - may look
    at getting a decent CD transport although the Pioneer DVD player I'm
    using for such duties is just fine for now.

So...the one thing I really want - need - to get right this year is the
    turntable. Just need to sort out which direction I have to go to get
    that done. Still, it'll be fun whatever.
  • Computer audio for me. Possibly Jason and RD's TFS which I think is launching soon. I'll need a Bluray version to feed the DLP projector.
    Vinyl front end I'm happy with (it's the one Gromit is sadly lamenting, but with a Phono 2).
    Also, my HD freeview box Christmas present is in situ and sounding good (for freeview and freeview radio) into my MuFi upsampler, and is waiting for the Gloucester digital switch over to HD in April (it's just a shame that that date is after the 6 nations).
    I remain happy with amp (TSS) and speakers (Cubes), so no changes planned there.

Ben
  • I might play with another LDR passive later in the year, after the DAC is settled. I will also play with some fancy-pants USB cables, though I'm sceptical right now.

The MAC shall get some attention if it's lucky - I'm thinking of an SSD & more RAM, and a proper PSU. This is all detail though, the basics of the rig are pretty good. 

Glad you like the DacMagic Richard, I did - though I'm pretty sure it is based on the DAC from the 740 range. Being in a separate box with decent power supplies must make difference!
  • Buy a DAC - will I need to look further than the Young? It's doing good and bad things at the moment, so the jury is out.

Sort out my server - hopefully it'll remain Mac-based, but the G4 can't run the latest software, so it'll have to go. Although I do have a use for it elsewhere.

Buy lots and lots of music!
  • Sort out computer fed audio.  I'm not far off, having had superb results with an old HP laptop feeding digits to my amp via a HiFace USB stick.  Trouble is that I can't replicate those results with other computers, even with the HiFace Evo that I bought recently.  So, not really upgrade plans, but plans to understand this PC audio stuff, maybe with Linux.
  • Having bought Jason's prototype TFS/Nexus I am happy with my digital front end at the minute and hopefully a few more tweaks Jason is making to the opamps and power supplies should remove my slight misgivings I have with the onboard Xonar soundcard/dac.

Interested in a LDR pre so am carefully reading Alan's posts on the Eva.

Only other planned overhaul is in the racking which at present is all Mana and I have had them for many moons. Having heard Music Works all acrylic Evo stands they are a serious if pricey alternative. But am I great believer in stands making sonic improvements on a par with hardware upgrades so let the googling begin !

• Ah yes - racking. We are replacing our TV cabinet in a week or two with the following, hopefully with a few mods (like taking the back off the drawers & adding a piano hinge to the bottom of the drawer fronts) I will finally be able to put the HiFi away - out of sight!

• edited January 2011
    Cartridge is nearly two years old so need to start thinking of replacements.

Possibly one of the Ortofon Cadenza models, the AT33PTG/2 or a VHD - always fancied a VDH Frog.

I'm building a phono stage but not sure that counts.

Where to go from here though? I really don't know. The P7 has been a
    very interesting exercise - fun & frustrating really. It's a superb
    turntable, no question, and being ex-Lefty it may as well be brand new
    it's in such lovely nick. Thing is, what makes it so good at some stuff -
    rock/jazz/electronic makes it (or seems to) poor at
    classical/orchestral. I've been slightly spoilt by really good DD and
    the sense of solidity, the grounding it gives music, but ultimately the
    P7, great though it can be, it's just not 'me'.

Richard, try a 'fatter' cartridge on the P7. A re-tipped Linn Karma or a Dynavector 10X for starters.
    These decks are pretty neutral and will go with the cartridge balance.
  • edited January 2011
    Richard, try a 'fatter' cartridge on the P7. A re-tipped Linn Karma or a Dynavector 10X for starters.
    These decks are pretty neutral and will go with the cartridge balance.
    This is what I'm thinking, Rob - the IQ3 is very good, and is a great mechanical match for the RB700, it's just a wee bit too lean, forward even. I've bought Lefty's low-mileage DL110 to try as it's a cartridge I know well, so will see how that goes for starters. The little Grado Black 1 works quite well although it hums too much on the inner grooves due to the P7's motor being sat close to the spindle (worked fine on the SL1210 though). Sweet sounding but not really resolving enough - the P7 deserves better I feel.

I'd love to give something like the new Dyna DV20XL Mk2 a go - it's been causing a bit of a stir lately. What I'd really love to get though is an SPU Royal N (the std 1/2" mount one of course) as I love what this cartridge does - big, ballsy, just what the Rega needs. Bit heavy in the ££ dept though. :(
  • edited January 2011
    Heard a Royal N mounted on an LP12/Aro a few years ago and liked it. Compliance might be a tad low for the Rega arm but a little mass loading will sort it.
    The DL110 is quite a full sounding cartridge so that will give you some idea of what can be done with the P7.
    Also, if the mat on the P7 is the super thin one originally designed for the P9, use a thicker felt mat to beef up the presentation. The thin Rega mat compresses quite tightly and becomes quite firm beneath the disc.

I go to the other end - I want my TT to sound like a good digital source to use sprightly and squeaky clean cartridges.

Some time ago I tried an ESCo Linn Karma on the P9 and did a needledrop. See what you think - it is followed by one made using my usual AT:

• Thanks for those Rob - just loading them up now for a listen through headhones. :)

I've got a couple of other mats I can try - I really like the Ringmat on the TD150 but I'm wondering how it'll perform on the P7's ceramic platter. Also got an Achromat which I've never been quite convinced by, only trouble being is that it's the 5mm one and it's a royal PITA altering vta on the Rega arm.
  • Achromat on he P9 was not good - sort of dead and over-damped sound.

Still have it here somewhere if you ever want to try it.
  • I've always found the Ringmat works for me on everything, TD160, 401, LP12, R3.  Never fails.  Everything else sounds overdamped and sluggish.
  • edited January 2011
    Absolutely no intention of changing anything , I am in that zone of being completely happy with how music is conveyed via the system I have ...the only thing I might do is upgrade my amps to voyager spec , If I can be bothered , it will be a DIY project so a summer thing in the "shed" ..... :)
  • Had a Spur for my kit fitted a few weeks ago.

Should of done it years ago.

• More RAM in my McMini - I am getting occasional dropouts on large 192 files especially when mem play is loading the next file - occasionally even crashes.

While I have the lid off - a small SSD will likely worm it's way in there.
  • When you have the lid off, be very careful with the wi-fi and Bluetooth aerials/circuitboards. They're delicate little things waving around in mid-air, if yours is like my 2009 mini.
  • I will be very careful - thank you. It is good to know there is a ready supply of spare parts as well.
    ;-)
  • My 2009 mini is on Sam's desk. You'll have to fight her for it  :-ss
  • What's that? Sam's 2009 mini is on Sam's desk....
  • Yes. It drips a bit of oil, but it gets it out of the salty air here on the sea front.
  • Perfectly happy overall with the system but MIGHT change the Lingo 2 for a Radikal on the vinyl side.......havent made me mind up yet!
    Am about to get my local joiner in to extend my built in units to accept more cd's / LP's (cant have enough storage i say)
    Then im gonna decorate my lounge and cast some concrete plinths for the speakers under the floor which will help to sharpen the bass nicely.
    thats about it.
  • Cool - a structural upgrade!
  • More RAM in my McMini - I am getting occasional dropouts on large 192 files especially when mem play is loading the next file - occasionally even crashes.

While I have the lid off - a small SSD will likely worm it's way in there.
    I too need more RAM for my Mini. I only have 2GB at the moment and it seems to take ages to load playlists in Amarra. 
    I'll probs go for 8GB. 8GB of Kingston RAM on ebay is only £90 which seems good value.....
  • 192 / 24 capable network player OR streamer/transport + DAC.

New speakers to replace my olden Mission 737s from 1984.
  • Coming this week:

PSU for Young DAC
    NAS

Later:

SSP interconnects for between Eva 2 and NVA TDSs
    Cabinet/equipment stand for TV and hi-fi
  • 2011 is the year when I focus more on the two channel side of my system. To this end I've got the Young DAC in place and a Teddy Pardo power supply on the way. Racing to try and beat the power supply here is a Lightspeed attenuator all the way from Oz. I've never got on with my Croft valve pre amp. Am sure it's a wonderful bit of kit for turntable owners, but it doesn't seems to add much to the mix when fed with the Young.

The other upgrade I'm considering is to change my power amp. This is currently an Arcam P7, but I'm thinking of switching to monoblocks of some description. Haven't got a clue what to look for when it comes to power amps, so any advice is greatly appreciated. All I know is that my ATC speakers need lots of good quality watts :-)

Am really pleased with the home cinema side of my setup and don't envisage changing this in 2011.
  • edited March 2011
    There's a PASS X 250 on PFM, £2200. An amp for life I'd think.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93845

A PASS Labs amp is one of the few things I am curious to hear. A classic case of champagne taste on a beer budget...
  • Thanks Alan. I'll have a look tonight.
  • Coming this week:

PSU for Young DAC
    NAS

Later:

SSP interconnects for between Eva 2 and NVA TDSs
    Cabinet/equipment stand for TV and hi-fi
    What PSU you getting for the Young? Is Teddy making a 'special' or is he developing a commercial version?
  • Perfectly happy overall with the system but MIGHT change the Lingo 2 for a Radikal on the vinyl side.......havent made me mind up yet!
    Am about to get my local joiner in to extend my built in units to accept more cd's / LP's (cant have enough storage i say)

Then im gonna decorate my lounge and cast some concrete plinths for the speakers under the floor which will help to sharpen the bass nicely.

thats about it.

Dave,

You have mail about the new Radikal psu upgrade.

Rad.

• It's a TeddyReg-based PSU kindly built for me by Simon. I believe it's identical to the one @Alan has.

Someone mentioned earlier a PSU they were buying from Teddy Pardo himself.
  • Enjoy - I'm sure it will be better than my NAPSC ! :-S
  • It's a TeddyReg-based PSU kindly built for me by Simon. I believe it's identical to the one @Alan has.

Someone mentioned earlier a PSU they were buying from Teddy Pardo himself.

That would be me. It's a TeddyEvo which Teddy is modifying to meet the Young's power requirements.
  • Changes I want to make this year: If I can sell my Spectral DMC 12 pre amp and Albarry M408s I will be buying the new Albarry AP11 and M608 combo. Also having heard the differences I would like the MusicWorks Acrylic Revo table and the new MusicWorks mains block and mains lead, but it comes to a few quid so one bit at a time, by the way has anyone heard of the benefits of putting a disc of thin copper between the upper and lower platters on a Trio LO7D to reduce the magnetic field effect the motor can have on the cartridge? regards Al
  • To be honest just back to the 80s would be fine for me . There's a kind of satisfaction in having to rely upon recycling of stored , mostly dead Hi Fi items just to get back to where I was 30 years ago .

Just a sound system , not an unsound one .

A few short weeks ago even this was just a dream , so this is progress !

• There were great sounds around then, so why not?
  • Changes I want to make this year: If I can sell my Spectral DMC 12 pre amp and Albarry M408s I will be buying the new Albarry AP11 and M608 combo. Also having heard the differences I would like the MusicWorks Acrylic Revo table and the new MusicWorks mains block and mains lead, but it comes to a few quid so one bit at a time, by the way has anyone heard of the benefits of putting a disc of thin copper between the upper and lower platters on a Trio LO7D to reduce the magnetic field effect the motor can have on the cartridge? regards Al
    hi Al, well as far as i know adding copper wont make much of a difference as its not all that great at stopping stray emf , i have tried copper screening on an ac motor to enable me to use a grado cart and it did nothing, the grado still hummed , high purity iron will give the best results if you want to block the stray eddy's , it might be worth getting in touch with the folks that make the sound dead steel platter mats to see if their mat would help , TBH i have never heard of the Lo7 having such effects on the cart but i also haven't read up much on the old trio battle ship either ,
    all the best ,
    matt
  • Im going to upgrade my room I hope, when I move in a few weeks. Already with shelves and things off the wall it sounds like a warehouse. And I have a cold, so the whole thing sounds crap at the moment.

I have hopes that a new room will solve a few issues, though its surprising what you get used to. As long as the system is good I can just listen through the problems.

It would also be quite nice to get an SSD in the MAC and finally fit that RAM, also the change to OSX LION may (or not) make a difference.
  • I'm going to take my ears on holiday for a couple of weeks :-)
  • Build the HackerNap mono amps, the bits for which have sat idle under the stairs for the whole of this year.  Then my second system can be Starfish/NCC200 - i'll really feel like I'm The Dude when my second system is that good :-)
  • Hi Matt, TBH I can't say I've ever noticed such a problem with any cartridge I've used, I just heard about it and I wondered if others had experienced such a problem, I have used an Ortofon SPU with the transformer built into the headshell and that was one of the best I've got. I say was, my wife knocked it off a shelf and snapped off the cantilever!    I miss her!  lol  regards Al
  • Hi Matt, TBH I can't say I've ever noticed such a problem with any cartridge I've used, I just heard about it and I wondered if others had experienced such a problem, I have used an Ortofon SPU with the transformer built into the headshell and that was one of the best I've got. I say was, my wife knocked it off a shelf and snapped off the cantilever!    I miss her!  lol  regards Al
    women eh ! lol, never heard an spu , have read quite a bit from those that are almost disciples of the device, worth sending it off to expert stylus and cartridge company for Wyndham and Paul Hodgson to do their thing, they did my DL103 with a sapphire cantilever and paratrace tip for just over 200 of the queens heads , damn fine job they did too, 
    maybe worth asking about the platter mat over on the vinyl engine ,a few guys over there use the trio so you might get a response thats more informed than mine,
    all the best ,
    matt
    hi Al, well as far as i know adding copper wont make much of a difference as its not all that great at stopping stray emf , i have tried copper screening on an ac motor to enable me to use a grado cart and it did nothing, the grado still hummed , high purity iron will give the best results if you want to block the stray eddy's , it might be worth getting in touch with the folks that make the sound dead steel platter mats to see if their mat would help , TBH i have never heard of the Lo7 having such effects on the cart but i also haven't read up much on the old trio battle ship either ,
    all the best ,
    matt
    You need to find out if it is 100Hz or 50Hz (120Hz or 60Hz US) if it is 100Hz (120Hz) it is more likely to be a HUM loop.
    If it is 50Hz (60Hz) it could be a stray Magnetic field it this case I find that uMetal is best, in foil. Some micro phone step up transformer have this in side, or you can buy from RS.