The 'X' factor in your system?

edited January 2011 in Systems
I've often found (although usually, like an idiot, I've ended up selling it) that there's one item within the system which really makes it tick - be it the turntable, amp or speakers. What's the one item, if you can really name one, that 'makes' your system?

For me, in mine, it's the little Royd Merlins - they're easy to drive, aren't exactly pretty, can be a bit bright and ragged at times, but whilst fairly kind to what's put in front of them they're ruthlessly revealing of equipment further back up the chain that isn't pulling its musical weight. If something's not quite right with the front end, or the amp's being lazy, these little beggars will let you know.

Comments

• I suppose I'd have to say the Lowther EX4s.  A mixed blessing really.  The system can sound horrid, unbalanced with no bass below 100Hz if anything is wrong.  But when it's right they are magic to me.  They do voices and horns like an ESL57 - and often better.  They are currently on an open baffle with 15" bass units bringing up the rear so to speak.  It's sounds very good but as Eric was wont to say you can see the join.  Very few transistor amps are suitable; gain settings are usually too high and results in hiss.  In the right cabinet/room position the EX4's can hit 100dB for 1 watt of input.  My current amp delivers a stonking 7watts per channel and I have to watch the levels carefully!  And my room is not that large and I sit within 8 feet or so.

I'm aiming for a cabinet solution that gives enough bass to just use the Lowther - as it's so damn hard to match it to anything else.

Lowthers have a reputation for sounding coloured and screechy.  It's a bit chicken and egg.  They can sound that way but they don't have to.  Some of the best systems I've heard had Lowthers but also some of the worst.
  • I guess my NVA Statement amps. They've been with me for over 15 years, and I can't see myself getting rid of them.

They dictate a lot of what the rest of the system is like - particularly with respect to the speakers - but that's the decision I made back in the day.
  • I like Dave would say my NVA amps which I switched to in early 90's having tried very hard to like Naim ( but could'nt). I have moved through the range up to my TSS Mk3 as of now and each step up the ladder simply gives you more of the same. Preaching to several of the converted here I know but their lack of signature allows everything else in the system to show its true colours warts and all. This transperancy is for me what makes me simply hear more music which is what it is all about at the end of the day.
  • Speakers for sure which at home in the main system are usually ESL57s.
    They direct couple you to the music like nothing else IMO and do so with any amplifier I care to use - and surprisingly they are also completely agnostic re the source, sounding great with vinyl, digital hi-res or decent bitrate MP3.

Seriously, a laptop running Spotify with a £50 Airport Express running direct into something like an A&R A60, sitting in front of ESLs will challenge all ideas of what constitutes 'hi-fi'.
  • Rob

Having owned a pair of ESL57's can fully endorse your comments. Incredibly natural sounding they really do everything. Sadly London living and lack of space mean't they had to go but one day .......

Mervyn

• NVA P90SA passive pre-.
    I'm sure Cheryl Cole/Tweedy would be with me on that.
    I thought about saying NVA SSP, but couldn't bring myself to list a cable. I was worried about being the Louis Walsh of this thread...

These, I think. Royd RR3s, I built the whole system around their performance, and I doubt they'll ever be a bottleneck. I sometimes hanker for a little more earth moving ability, but to be honest they are so natural. That's not to say they can't or won't be replaced or upgraded, now that the rig as a whole has started to do them justice, but as with just about every facet of the system I'd simply trade up for more of exactly the same.
  • For me the x-factor in my system is the balance.
    The blend of the lively Dorian cart, blends nicely with the weighty Orbe & the Graaf valve amp.
    Likewise, the Graaf balances really well with the Mac/Dac front end & Focal speakers.
    In most systems, I would say the way the room affects the system, speakers especially will have an important role to play.
    Matt.  
  • Like  Matt i would agree that rooms make all the difference to which i can personally testify.
    I once heard a pair of Shahinnian arc speakers at a dealers which sounded superb.......got them home and they just would not work in my room! in fact they sounded like different speakers. 
    Thats why im going to do some work on my listening room including lifting the floorboards and casting concrete plinths for the speakers which im hoping will be like an expensive component upgrade.
    I am very happy with the sound that im getting and dont plan to change anything real soon - just tweak what i have.
  • I think the key to the sound I like is my old Naim Nait 3 amp. Not a sophisticated piece of gear, but a little thug that hits you whenever it can.

I play drums, so I like its immediacy and the uncomplicated sound of it. Very probably useless to play string quartets through, but rock, metal, tecno, acoustic singer songwriter, acoustic jazz and and orchestral it shone with.

It lives between a Naim CD5x and Tannoy D300s, so quite a brutal sound all in all.
  • For me it's my Audio Note Japan M7 pre-amp. It raises the whole system to another level of musicality. Would only sell it if a KSL-M77 came up at an affordable price.
  • Mine would be the LO7D T/T, it delivers the music with a great deal of authority and articulation, but I'm sure I will hear a lot more when I can afford the new Albarry AP11/M608 set up and upgrade the Music Works mains block and leads, bit at a time eh. regards Al
  • Hi Papa_L,

Out of interest, if you were looking at buying a pre amp today, would you still go for Audio Note? Or would you go for something like the Pure Sound L10 or L300?

I use an Audio Note M1 line stage and it's definitely got the 'X' factor in my system and was a veritable used bargain at £400.

The Audio Note range gets rather expensive beyond the M2, and I'm wondering if you think the outlay is justified given the advent of Pure Sound launching their pre amps.

Cheers,

James
  • Hi James,

Papa (I think it's Phil in real life IIRC) doesn't post here often, so you might need to drop him a personal message to get his attention - he'll get an email alert that way.
    :)
  • Trudat. It's unlikely he has flagged this discussion (if he has, he'd get an e-mail every time someone posted here)
  • Cheers guys. I'll send him a pm.