Audiogate - free software for OS X, Windows and other platforms

edited January 2011 in Digital
Noticed this on Computer Audiophile.

Audiogate is here.

Through the Young DAC, it knocks spots off iTunes sonically. Has anyone else tried it?

Comments

• Will it play all "normal" formats?
  • Yep. I've been playing AIFF.

From what I've read, it seems to be suggesting that Audiogate converts to DSD on the fly as it plays back. Or maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick.
  • OK, uh what's DSD?
  • Seems it's another audio file format. I don't know if it's Korg's own.
  • Is it the same direct stream digital of sacd format...?
  • As usual, Google is our friend. Here we go.
  • Audiogate - so good it's an audio scandal!

Do you use it simply as a player of native format files? Or do you convert your AIFF to DSD?

Yours, confused.com
  • Just add audio files and play them back.

Simples!
  • Simples? Ah! I see...

• edited January 2011
    Maybe you could follow Mr Orlov and GoCompare.com Audiogate with software of your choice  ;-)
  • I prefer the latest silent version of that ad....
  • I see that Blue Coast Records (http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection) are now selling direct DSD downloads - presumably the masters. I'm not familiar with their catalogue, and the downloads aren't cheap, but I thought I'd tell you Dave, as you are my richest friend...

O:-)
  • I see that Blue Coast Records (http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection) are now selling direct DSD downloads - presumably the masters. I'm not familiar with their catalogue, and the downloads aren't cheap, but I thought I'd tell you Dave, as you are my richest friend...

O:-)
    Looks like the usual load of blandness favoured by audiophile record labels to me  :(

You need to get out more if I'm your richest friend 
    :O
  • Yup. and yup! 
    :-D
  • I ran up Audiogate and it sounds pretty good here in Windows 7.  But I can't find a volume control, does anyone know if there is one?  I don't sit near the preamp and when running digital I prefer to use the software volume.
  • It's on the Mac mini, which I've taken out of the system - duh!

I have a feeling I might have found a volume control in the menus somewhere, but I've played with a few audio apps over the past few days, so my memory may be playing tricks.
  • OK, I decided to stop being lazy and RTFM'd.  There is no volume control.  It is possible to set the gain at, say, -3dB or whatever.  Also every time I open it I have to go to Twitter (an account I only opened to get this to work) and copy/paste a code.

So not for me which is a shame as it sounded pretty good.  I'll stick to Foobar.
  • I thought you only had to Tweet if you converted a file. Not if you just played it.
  • Would've been slighter easier that way, but no.  Each time I opened it you had to either plug in your piece of Korg equipment or do the Twitter thang.
  • That is a pain.

I just left the thing running when I tried it so only did one Tweet.