How good is your hearing?

edited March 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
I posted this in 'other HiFi gear' because it should under 'ears'. %-(

Here is self administered hearing test, but you need to be honest! This will take about 20mins - 1/2 hour to set up and do properly, and you will need peace and quiet. A pair of headphones is required, preferably decent quality, and a good soundcard.

Don't rush it, and follow the instructions, take the time to calibrate your system correctly.

When you get to the actual test, I would suggest 'Auto' test with 5dB increments (which is default anyway). Then, post your results, and join me in stating why we think they don't matter anyway! :D It's just a bit of fun.

Comments

• edited March 2012

I finally converted it to a JPG and put it photobucket!

Thing is, I used my crappy lappy soundcard and some cheap Sennheiser earbuds, so not a very good test really. A year ago my results were much much better in both ears, this has confirmed what I suspected; my hearing has deteriorated over the last year! :(
  • What?  %-(
  • I know that both my frequency response and amplitude level has dropped over the years. I can't hear much over 13kHz. But I can tell when there's not enough top end which is strange. I'll do the test later.

This is the response of my 'phones - good for what they are but not too impressive really (as they seem less consistent than my ears)! Also, the hearing test is conducted at very low volume, so such discrepancies likely do matter. The volume was so low that my laptop fan and my tinnitus was quite intrusive.
  • edited March 2012

This is the response of my 'phones - good for what they are but not too impressive really (as they seem less consistent than my ears)! Also, the hearing test is conducted at very low volume, so such discrepancies likely do matter. The volume was so low that my laptop fan and my tinnitus was quite intrusive.
    Interesting...
    But I'm confused... :-/
    How can the test show your 'phones to be less consistent than your ears? Didn't you use the phones when testing your ears?

@-)
  • I know that both my frequency response and amplitude level has dropped over the years. I can't hear much over 13kHz. But I can tell when there's not enough top end which is strange. I'll do the test later.
    It is odd how all this plays out; my left ear appears to drop off completely after about 14k, but I would have said it was the hearing to my right that was deteriorating!

Interesting...
    But I'm confused... :-/
    How can the test show your 'phones to be less consistent than your ears? Didn't you use the phones when testing your ears?

@-)
    Absolutely - and I posted the graph with no real understanding of what's going on (come on Ben, keep up!).

The graph for the earbuds are from Sennheiser, so not measured by me. I was simply commenting on their jagged response, and musing that those peaks and troughs could be compounding the response I measured from my ears in the hearing test. ie, my ears may/not be that bad/good...the only way to know would be a better set of phones with a smoother response.
  • I misunderstood - I thought you'd produced the headphone graph yourself using the same software somehow.
    :-/
    Carry on...
    :-)
  • I had my ears cleaned last week - they no longer syringe as such, rather they pump warm water into the ear. Mine took around 10 seconds each side as I was using the drops prescribed diligently, but nursey told me some people take 20 mins each side!!

Anyhoo, hearing is much better now and the tinnitus has subsided back to previous levels, now the ambient noise floor is increased.

If I had a decent set of cans I would do the hearing test again, to see whether my deterioration is solely down to wax. My problem was wearing ear buds - the ears generate wax to clear the blockage apparently!
  • Good news, Mr Spock.
  • Excellent news Alan.
    My ear wax problem is for similar reasons - I use ear plugs at night (light sleeper). I understand regular olive oil drops into the ear keep the wax softer and more likely to escape from the ear canal naturally.
  • edited June 2012
    Time to beam you up Alan.
    Did any of you read this?

Because if it is to believed then hearing test may be the wrong way to test the audio we receive, or detect.
    As we can sense, hear, the different effects of bandwidth on all the audio equipment we use, and maybe the phase relationship of any given frequency to another.
    My hearing rolls of very sharply at 15KHz, but I can hear the limited bandwidths on all the amps I make, and some of them go to MHz,s before taming.
    So is the ear drum detecting or does the high frequency get picked up by the internal detection system in the ear directly?
    If so is ultra scanning good for unborn babies and is the hearing effected from a early age, that would explain the dross my kids call music I suspect.
    And us fossils might be effected also from those ultra sonic remote controls from the 1970,s so we love Deep Purple and Piano (cough) .
    Thought please on a Sub 7Hz modulated Kidney buster frequency please to:- AudioChew, Cyberspace, Blue Green Blob, Near Spiral 1776
    Now my brain is fine see.

• I'm not sure I've read that, but I have seen similar data.
  • Time to beam you up Alan.
    Did any of you read this?
    I don't know if I have read that particular paper, Mr Scott, but I have repeatedly read similar pieces elsewhere. I promise I will take a look when I get a little time, thanks for posting mate.

You & Kathy doing alright?  :)
  • They won't be all right after Saturday  :-\"
  • Kathy is well on the mend, and still fitted with brace etc. The nagging bit still works. Thank you for that nice thought.
    Me I limp lots more as the stroke damaged leg plays silly games, but I still tick like a clock. I wonder if I could be the crocodile in Peter Pan?
  • They won't be all right after Saturday  :-\"
    No the  assassin is coming Kathy hop to the hills quick.