Moth RCM build

JimJim
edited March 2012 in Analogue
I've wanted an RCM for ages but never seemed to have gotten round to it.

I bought the Moth kit which is the same as the full unit except one has to build the case.

A couple of photos:

Nearly there.  Bit of plumbing and wiring to sort out underneath. 

No more today, it's gorgeous so I'm taking the dogs to the beach.

Been up and cleaning LPs on Monday

Comments

• Look forward to your impressions Jim.
    When I first tried my cheapo RCM (it plugs into a domestic vacuum, and one does all the rotating and scrubbing by hand), I was delighted with the results.
  • JimJim
    edited March 2012
    I will post my results soon Ben.

A mate built one from an old DD deck, some fish tank hose, a jam jar and a hoover.  Too fiddly for me but it works brilliantly.  That's what pushed me to do it.

• Just finished.  And wow is all I can say!  Clean LPs sounds better in every way.

I'll give some more detail later , I've got a stack of dirty LPs waiting for me.
  • Clean LPs sounds better in every way.
    Jim, I think I wrote almost those exact words in a thread about a month ago.
    I :x my RCM.
  • Just a few thoughts while I sit watching the dogs wear themselves out in the field.

LPs have come up better than new. Tracking has improved, the immediate thought is that the HF sounds cleaner. But all frequencies have gone up a notch or two.

Scratches are less noisy too, I guess because there's less or no dirt in the scratch.

Cymbals and other percussion particularly noticeable. They now sound proper metally.
  •  Cymbals and other percussion particularly noticeable. They now sound proper metally.
    Best turn it off then Jim. ;-)

• That's a point! I haven't played any HM in ages - I've been on the dark side playing j*zz
    :-O