Rare on air compilations

edited March 2012 in Other music
Anyone else familiar with these...?
I have the first 2.
Both are well recorded and wonderfully underproduced. Very musical performances from a good variety artists.
I recommend!

Comments

• Thanks very much for bringing these to my attention Ben.  There's a whole series of KCRW: Sounds Eclectic albums as well that I'm previewing now on Amazon.  Sounds right up my street.
  • Hadn't been aware of teh Electric ones. I'll check them out.
    The Rare on Air ones I suppose are the contrasting 'acoustic/unplugged' set from KCRW (tho' the 2nd one has a few more electronic bits used sparingly).
    They really are cracking compilations. Not often that I find something that one can genuinely appreciate both sonically and musically. Hard to pick my favourite tracks from them in fact...! My mum and dad used to listen to 'Rumours' a lot when I was younger, and the first Rare on Air CD has a solo version of 'Never Going Back Again' by Lindsey Buckingham that is brilliant. (BTW - A little off topic here, but before anyone laughs lots of the guitarists I know really rate Lindsey Buckingham.)
  • I'm currently awaiting delivery on one, I think the third disc IIRC. I believe it's where Radio 1's live lounge concept came from, but RoA is much better.
  • I'm just confused.

What are these actually called? And where should I be looking?
  • Evening Alan. Where did you buy if from if you don't mind me asking? I'd quite like to get the RoA set but Google leads me to Amazon.com.

Will have a more in depth look but just wanted to check I'm not missing an obvious website.
  • I'm just confused.

What are these actually called? And where should I be looking?
    Ha. Great minds Dave....great minds.
  • edited March 2012
    They're actually called "Rare on Air". KCRW is a US radio station that has, or had, a show on which musicians performed acoustic versions of their material. The "Rare on Air" albums are compilations from these shows, so include different artists.
    This is the first one. (Look at the track list and you'll get the idea.)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rare-On-Air-Performances-Eclectic/dp/B000004AVY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1333059794&sr=8-5
  • Thanks. I've got it now.