Goldring Lenco 88 - some proper hi-fi !

edited January 2011 in Analogue

With lots of good advice from Jim I have grabbed this Lenco 88 early 60's turntable. Who needs a Young Digi daccy thing - this is real man's hair on your chest equipment ( he says cowering behind the sofa ! )

It apparently was made to compete with Garrard 301's and there is much forum discussions to which is the better. This one comes with a Sugden Connoisseur UA 1 tonearm. I initially thought of dumping this arm for a Rega but Jim has suggested to try it out first with my Shure M3D as it could be pretty good.

Due to get it next week so time will tell.

Comments

• Bugger - where has the picture gone ??

• Lets try this again !!!
  • That is one nice, retro, comfy looking slipper down there. Record deck, did you say?

;)

Nice acquisition Mervyn - I hope you'll keep us updated. It will be good to get some more variety going on the 'Chews.

The whole analogue area is somewhere I've never been. I have a "Young digi daccy thing", you have an old Lenco spinny doodah...

Are Lenco's rim drive - like Garrard?
  • edited January 2011
    Mervyn - when you use the 'Insert Image' button, be sure to delete the original "http://".

If you are linking from photobucket etc, use the 'Direct Link' address - the one without '<a href' or '[IMG]'.

Like this:   image

BTW, your TSS pictures for your sale where simply superb. Did it go in the end?

• edited January 2011

Thanks Alan I am sure I did - lets try again. Still no joy with flickr - I have posted the url using the 3rd icon from the right and submitted !! Could be my browser again !

It is an idler drive like the Garrards. I think rim drive is a variation thereof ( VPI use it ??) but I am not an expert by any means.

Yes TSS went on ebay to a good home - keen NVA-er who was upgrading from his A80's !

• edited January 2011
    Like this: image
  • I love the typography.

But what's it for? Is it like one of those rotating tables you get in Chinese restaurants? 
    O:)
  • I love the typography.

But what's it for? Is it like one of those rotating tables you get in Chinese restaurants? 
    O:)
    Yes correct Dave. This size is for the starters with larger ones used later for the mains. It is speed adjustable depending on your skill levels !!
  • JimJim
    edited January 2011
    Looks good Mervyn.

Hope that arm's OK  - you'll soon know.

Best would be to run it when you get get it see if it works and check for noise.  If it's been idle (whoops!) for a long time then the main spindle bearing and the motor will need oiling.

The Lencos all drive the idler wheel vertically spinning the platter from below whereas the Garrards and Thorens models drive the inner rim of the platter horizontally.  There can be a small amount of noise injected into the system but with everything sorted the trade off is far better speed stability than most belt drives.

Keep us posted - and ignore the philistines :)

• Keep us posted - and ignore the philistines :-)

Wha...me?

:D I only mock what I do not understand...

I think this is more appropriate!

:P
  • Black and white would be better - it's cheaper

:-))
  • edited January 2011

Yes TSS went on ebay to a good home - keen NVA-er who was upgrading from his A80's !

I missed this earlier - well done that man! Got a good price I hope? - How is the new TSS mkIII? I heard they really went downhill after mkII, that was the statement peak after perfecting the primitive mkI!  :p

Was the buyer anyone we know?  Feel free to invite him along, unless you have already...

• Now, now Alan. Don't go pissing off too many of your superiors  :-D
  • I would never knowingly....