FS - Horning Agathon Ultimates

PACPAC
edited May 2012 in For sale

Due to changing domestic circumstances, it is with great regret that my Horning Agathon Ultimates are put up for sale. Having a radical change around in the listening room and to preserve domestic bliss, the better half wants a set of stand mounts to replace the Agathons. We've had a long chat about it and finally decided that with one thing and another, perhaps a move to monitors would suit our domestic situation better for now. Like the sale of the Lumley amplifiers (which I do regret), I know I'll regret this but here goes:

Horning Agathon Ultimates, the latest and the best (these bear no relationship to earlier models). Three years old and cost £10,750 when new. In pristine condition and indistinguishable from new all bar a few small scuffs near the base that you'd hardly notice (from being moved around). Red Cherry finish. Veneer over 3/4 inch birch ply, heavily braced. Solid Red Cherry corners. A true furniture grade cabinet.  

Approx 1.2m high by 450 deep by 380 wide and each weighing in around 65Kg.

Twin 12 inch short throw Beyma units specially designed for this speaker (not off the shelf) round back configured 180 degrees out of phase so inward firing in phase. Horning lotus horn loaded tweeter and Lowther DX4 unit mid up front (de-whizzered and with a damping plug fitted. This handles only mid range and is free of the usual Lowther honk). Mid and treble also loaded into internal chamber which meets the bass chamber in an internal horn which exits at base. Totally and utterly seamless in operation and with lightning fast transient response.

99dB for 1w at 1m and nominal 8 Ohm load (6 minimum). Dead easy load for just about any amp.

Sound is unbelievable. I thought I'd heard 'speakers with real presence until I auditioned these...they place you right there in the recording studio or live at the performance. Immense, effortless scale, and totally uncoloured...about as neutral a sounding loudspeaker you'll ever encounter.

]

Sound utterly superb with decent Class A amplification. I'd say hand on heart that these are the very best loudspeakers I've heard in over 25 years of my hifi journey, bar none.  There's a few that come close, but the Agathons are in a league of their own when it comes to realism, scale and neutrality.  They have the transient speed of a stand mounter with the bass performance of a set of subs and integrate the beautiful mids and highs seamlessly.

Can be listened to at quiet levels without intimidating the cat/dog/budgie/neighbours, or can conjure up immense scale and dynamics, the choice is yours. They really need a listening room of about 15 feet by 10 ft minimum to sound at their best (probably too large for smaller rooms), but will happily and easily fill a 30 or 40 ft listening room to very high SPL's with ease.

Reviews and info:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/horning/agathon.html

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/horning.htm

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/horning-hybrid.htm

As stated, these cost £10,750 new just a few years ago but in the spirit of moving them on at a realistic price to a good home, I'm after a very reasonable £4,000 or nearest offer.

No courier costs available as special wooden crates would have to be made up and all told it would be too expensive to ship them, plus there's absolutely no way I'm allowing these to be trusted to a courier, so collection only I'm afraid. They're worth the trip, trust me on that. Large estate car or small van needed and preferably a small sack trolley for ease of transport. You'll need two people at the other end as there's no way you'll shift these on your own without damaging yourself or the 'speakers.

Any and all auditions welcomed...bring your amp or just bring your self.

Coffee, croissants and cake provided, as is lunch if you decide to take up some hospitality and for an extended listen.

Comments

• If I had the money, I'd be getting the forklift to get the TDSs into the back of the Beast, but alas, the coffers are in a state of echo  :(
  • I'd come, just for the coffee & croissants...
  • Sold!!!

Sad day to see these go.

Alan...you're welcome any time for coffee and croissants!

New speakers and amps on the way....any guesses?
  • Oh poo. The piggybank had only reached 57p in the time available :-)
This discussion has been closed.