A different approach

PACPAC
edited May 2012 in Digital
Having chased the audio dream for too long and ultimately got there with my last set up, fate jumped in and kicked me in the cobblers.

After piecing together a system that did startling realism, real bass, real scale etc etc without calling attention to the electronics, domestic pressure was building to hand the living room back to the family (some people can be so selfish ;-)  ).  Also, with young kids, realistic scale isn't possible most of the time.  The decision was made to sell the amp and speakers, re-arrange the room for additional space, de-clutter and install wife- friendly stand mounts.

Funnily enough, I wasn't at all sad about this, as I'd had the chance at least to experience possibly one of the finest audio set ups I've heard, and the fact I've had it a few years was a bonus.

So, new approach to hifi needed to stop me wanting to chase the impossible dream and I hit the answer which was as obvious as the nose on my face.  Make do with the most musical speaks I could find for stand mounters accepting the bass limitations and look to upgrading the room, not the hifi, as I reckon more room tweaks can result in bigger gains than kit swaps.

I've now designed a series of free standing and wall mounted acoustic panels (freestanding ones can be placed close to walls) which have WAF as they're covered in acoustic fabric to match the room colours.  One behind each speaker, one on the walls adjacent to each speaker and bass traps in the corners behind the speakers.  The effect looks surprisingly neat and fits with the room.  As for refraction panels, some additional CD racks with louvred slats each side on the walls.  they lok and finction as CD racks but also function as very effective diffraction panels.  Job done.

For the system, it had to be reasonably compact and capable of full bandwidth and decent sound staging (recording allowing) at moderate volumes.

I spoke to many very helpful friends in the hifi business and ended up on the telephone to Harbeth. They custom build speakers to order these days and much of their work is still with the BBC.  A chat with one of the production managers there and I had the speaker choice sorted and was even able to specify what type of figuring I wanted on the veneers...thats service!  So in a few weeks time I become the proud owner of a pair of new SHL5 monitors and custom built stands (made to elevate the tweeter on the speakers to ear height from your seated position).

For amplification, I wanted Class A and to avoid possible speaker damping issues, wanted a regulated power supply and a mofset output stage but a valve input stage.  The amps which ticked all the right boxes seemed to be Croft, so as we speak I understand that Glen Croft is hand building a point to point wired pre-power set up for me.

This seems a mad thing to do...jump in without audition, but hopefully I've done my homework, and with some room acoustic treatment, the whole should better the sum of the parts.  I remember Harbeths from donkey's years ago and whilst not the last word in resolution (or modern hifi tuning as I prefer to call it) they were one of the most enjoyable listens I can recall, especially at lower volumes.

I'll report back in a few weeks when all is done.  

Comments

• Interesting approach, Paul.

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to buy unheard.
  • Looking forward to it Dave!

I have heard the speakers,. just not in my room.  Amplifiers worry me less with easy to drive loudspeakers.  The Harbeths have an almost flat frequency response (on axis) from 40Hz to 20KHz and a benign load, so any decent amplifier should drive them and the tonal balance with the Croft's excellent all tube preamp stage should be fine.  Being tube, there's a bit of scope for altering the tonal balance via valve rolling too.  Not quite as mad as it sounds, but yes, it was rather throwing caution to the wind.

I really wanted the M40.1 Harbeths but 1) they're too large(!) and 2) they're over £8K!  well out of budget.
  • You know you should have looked out for a pair of Royd RR3s, don't you? :-)
  • Interesting times foe sure Paul, I hope your choices work out for you. Given the names involved I should feel optimistic.
  • PACPAC
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Alan,

yes, I think the match should be good.  The thing with thin wall speaker designs like the Harbeths is that they put a lot of resonant energy into the cabinets so can couple with nearby walls all too easily.  That's why I'm building acoustic panels for room treatment and moving things about so speakers can be well clear of walls.  really looking forward to it as it heralds a gentler era in listening for me.  Nowt wrong with Saint-Saens syphony 3 at 115 dB and bass to sub 20Hz.....but not anymore.  I'd rather kick back and enjoy music at lower volumes.  I think this set up will do that for me.
  • I take milk, no sugar... ;)

• You're welcome over any time.  I'll give you a shout if you like when it's all sorted.  I think Docfoster (clues in the name) is just up the road too, so also welcome to pop across and give a verdict when all is settled in  ;)
  • Very kind Paul, if I find myself travelling your way I'll give you a shout in advance.