Goodmans Magister Speakers for sale, 15" Tannoy Eaters...

edited June 2012 in For sale

NOW SOLD

Swore I would get around to renovating these but it isn't going to happen...

mk2 Magisters (with the better single tweeter arrangement), 3 way monsters with 15" woofers infinite baffle/acoustic suspension.

Work just fine (screw down terminals on rear), a little tatty but not so
bad really. Will try to post pics this weekend. TBH, if your missus
lets you put these in the lounge the 'patina' isn't going to be an
issue...

I honestly prefer these to Tannoys of similar size I have heard
(personal preference only, no criticism intended) as they have faster
bass and 'disappear' (sic) better. Would like £125 for these ONO, I'll throw in a cheap & nastie set of
stands that at least get them off the floor. No postage...

I can deliver anywhere along the coast between Hastings and chichester,
or up the A22/A23 as far as M25 for free. Otherwise pickup

Comments

• Provisionally sold!  :)
  • Congrats.
    Could you post pics anyway Alan? They sound intriguing.
  • That was quick!
  • It was quick, there was a lot of interest. I kind of regret it TBH, but it was a pragmatic decision to fund some monster ampage.

Pics over the weekend, doodz.
  • Alan,
    I didn't know you had those bad boys. I have an odd curiosity in big Tannoys...
    Fond memories in fact, of some big 15 inch concentric tannoy monitors that I encountered once in a studio. I was 18 (and desperately trying to learn the bass part for the songs we were recording at the time) and the sound of the big tannoys was the first time I'd ever heard recorded music with a sound quality that grabbed me. In fact, looking back, that experience may have been the day that the door to the wonderful world of hifi was opened to me.
    I've heard Tannoys since, and haven't been so impressed (somehow wooly and thin and the same time - hope I can say that now you've sold them ;-) ), but the rose tinteds still keep the happy memory of that first encounter alive for me.
    I look forward to the pics...
  • You can say what you like about Tannoys, these are (far superior) Goodmans Magisters...

They are based on the Goodmans Magnum, which had a different x-over & a 12" woofer. The Magister is the range-topping badboy, and are very hard to find.

I have to say these are great fun, but definitely sound like a 'vintage' speaker - kind of warts and all. Newer speaker designs certainly solved a lot of problems but in a way they lost some magic too.

Pics will be via cameraphone I'm afraid, but I'll do my best! Should be fine with rose tinted glasses...
  • Awaiting your images...

• A full set of images I just took for the buyer. I had them playing outside in the sun (Cannonball Adderley) from the lappy through a combined DAC/T-amp and it all sounded rather glorious. Just missing the Pims really...

The guy buying the T-amp turned up & had a pretty damned cool demo, if I do say so myself!

• Love the shiny bass cone.
  • There bloody massive, my 9ft wide listening room is going to be all speaker!
    Ah! So you're the bargain hunter.
    Well done sir.
    I look forward to reading how those modest little cab's blend in with your surroundings...! ;-D
    Ah! So you're the bargain hunter.
    Well done sir.
    I look forward to reading how those modest little cab's blend in with your surroundings...! ;-D
    Hope the speakers 'disappear ' 
  • They're gone! :( Mixed feelings about it, though I am so glad they a) sounded really good at James's place and b) didn't blow up his amps...

Nice to meet another of the 'good guys' - what a thoroughly decent & nice bloke! Also good to catch up with another 'old friend' - he is running the self same  NVA A40s/A80s which I heard on at least two previous occasions at Gromit's. They still sound stunning (on the end of a W4S DAC2).
  • Small world!
  • I wonder if they've eaten anything in James' house yet?
  • edited May 2012
    I am a bit worried about that, he has a small child!

• I now have my Goodmans Magisters.
    I plonked them down in front of my ATC's, wired them up from the A80's and hit play on a Jamie Cullumn Album with lots of big piano work.
    The bass is not as tight as the ATC's (the bass on the ATC's is tight and rock solid) but I found it to have a bit more texture to it.
    Another quality I found I liked about the Magisters (not sure if this the same with all sensitive speakers) is it doesn't just show you the piano notes played but the pianists intent and slight timing hesitations, if that makes any sense. 
    The mid and treble is not as rough as I expected, it is a bit harsh but that may be due to them being played louder than I would normally listen as I can't seem to turn the volume down on my DAC/pre amp any lower (it is a loan from a friend whilst mine is being fixed).
    I realy need to get my ATC's out of the way and position the Magisters correctly before I make any real judgements.

My question is if I fully upgrade the crossover and tweak the hell out of speakers will they perform in the way I am wanting or should I just accept them for what they are?
    Sovereign

• I was planning on doing the crossover caps, something like clarity caps or Solen fast caps (cheaper). Just never found the time. Also those binding posts want doing...I don't know if the crossover can be seperated for Bi-amping?

When I did the Magnums, there was mileage in bracing the cabinet and reducing the stuffing. It made them faster and reduced some of the colouration.
This discussion has been closed.