Lenco turntables - buy now while stocks last !

edited January 2011 in Analogue

Having just purchased a Lenco 88 I tracked this 89 was on ebay out of curiosity -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270686202743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems they are now going the way of Garrard 301/401's pricewise. IMHO I suspect as Garrards have priced themselves out of the market Lenco's are the new flavour of the month.

Comments

• I think you're right Mervyn.  But also lots of internet hype plays a part I reckon.  There are plenty of mentions on various forums about Lenco TT's.

Interesting that the 88 and 99 go for a lot more than the 75's.  In reality they are both simply 75's with a different top plate to make it easier to fit your own arm.  They share the same motor, bearing and platter.  They certainly look at lot better than a 75 or 69 though.  And unless you have the skills a modded 75 can look a pig's ear.  Whereas the 88/99 simply needs a decent plinth and you're away.
  • Yes Jim the internet forums seem to start the ball rolling then a few appear on ebay and the hype translates into silly prices. Mind you 75's are creeping up now as well but will probably be reasonably'ish given their are many more of them around compared to the rarer 88/89's.

Vintage hi--fi does seem to be suffer from this over-hype eg look at Quad 33/34/303/405's which you could not give away a few years ago and are now commanding pretty good money.

• I just knew I should have bought that mint GL75 I saw for sale last year - it went for about 70 quid I think. :(

Who knows, value of some of these things is sure to rise, but maybe it'll also come down again at some point? Saying that, the value of LP12's has risen quite sharply over the last 12 months and I dare say a clean one in good mechanical nick should command a good price - it's still a superb turntable if you really want that sort of thing.

As the price of Lencos goes up, maybe folk will be less inclined to poo-poo them as being 'cheap vintage rubbish that's being over-hyped?' When of course many of us have known for a long time that they're superb turntables, period. Maybe the value of them is now coming in line with actually how good they are, and those who are unfairly cynical towards them might actually sit up and take note, as they did with Garrards?

I remember when a certain chap from Epping brought round a wooden-plinthed 1974 vintage Pioneer turntable round to my place and I was truly gobsmacked (no exaggeration) at how good this thing sounded; a proper (and very rare) jaw-drop moment which caused me to re-assess my whole outlook on turntables. Hence why, even with this lovely Rega P7, I'm finding it very difficult to get on with it, not because it's a bad turntable - far from it, it's superb - but I've flown very close to the good DD/Garrard flame and want more of it!! :)
  • Totally agree.  The old saying seems to have been forgotten:  "something's only worth what someone will pay you for it"

It would now appear that certain items have an immutable value.
  • Hi Mervyn

Have you got it yet?
  • Frustratingly not yet. Was due to be this weekend but definitely next weekend. 

Considering funds permitting looking for a Hadcock 228 with a Decca.Gold. But secondhand Decca's seem to be going the way of Lenco's ie silly prices such that it is probably worth to just buy new ( Maroons are about £450'ish ).

• They are getting a bit silly - I got both of mine before it went really mad.

The Maroon is a very good cartridge.

Another match for the Deccas is the original Mission 774 although they are a bit hard to find - and have suffered the same ebay-itis.  The best arm by far I've found for the Deccas is the Terminator.  It's a bit pricey although I managed to get a refurbed model from Vic at Trans-Fi.  It looks like it fell off an old USSR satelite but it works brilliantly.
  • The Termi's the parallel tracker isn't it Jim?
  • Is this a good one for a grand?
  • The Termi's the parallel tracker isn't it Jim?

That's the one mate.

http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

Vic is a big, big Decca fan and used them for the development of the arm.

I should have it back on the 401 by the end of next week.  I've just ordered a super-silent air pump for it.

I've been using the Les rebuilt RB250 which is good but nowhere near as good as the T2.

Don't go a penny higher than £950.00 mate

Another match for the Deccas is the original Mission 774 although they are a bit hard to find - and have suffered the same ebay-itis.  The best arm by far I've found for the Deccas is the Terminator.  It's a bit pricey although I managed to get a refurbed model from Vic at Trans-Fi.  It looks like it fell off an old USSR satelite but it works brilliantly.

Yes checked the Terminator website - veryyy interesting ! Probably out of budget at minute but definitely on radar. Where does the pump sit ?

I reckon the 88 on a black acrylic plinth with blue LEDs and Terminator would make a 'Statement' if you know what I mean !

Yes checked the Terminator website - veryyy interesting ! Probably out of budget at minute but definitely on radar. Where does the pump sit ?

I reckon the 88 on a black acrylic plinth with blue LEDs and Terminator would make a 'Statement' if you know what I mean !

Owwww!
  • With a longer hose the pump can go anywhere you like.  I've just ordered a (hopefully) quieter one as the one supplied was too noisy for me.  All pumps pump the air in spirts or pulses so a smoothing tank is required.  I use a plastic petrol can about 2 feet of hose from the pump.  The idea is for it to behave like a power supply capacitor and provide a store of air which is then smoothly pumped to the arm.  Some folk have had success with another smoothing tank very close, within a few inches, to the arm intake valve.  I will try that soon.

Acylic would be a good choice I reckon.  It should be stiff with good self damping and not too heavy.

If you fancy some DIY Google the Ladegaard arm:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&&sa=X&ei=A-QyTfDvCYOohAen2IH8Cw&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQvwUoAQ&q=ladegaard+tonearm&spell=1&fp=553387615f302e90

This was the starting point for the Terminators.

Parallel arms are more fiddly to use and the cheapest ones (unless you DIY) are costlier than a decent pivotted but I wouldn't change back now. 
  • Thanks for that Jim.

Acrylic I think would be a good choice as you say given its good damping characteristics. I suspect it would need 2 x 20/25mm pieces glued given the depth required.

Don't go a penny higher than £950.00 mate
    Interesting plate damping. That'll cost!