Attenuators

edited June 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
Has anyone on here used Rothwell attenuators in their system? When I connect my DAC direct to my new amps the volume is too loud by about 30 out of 100 (not db's). So I've ordered a pair of -20db balanced attenuators.

Opinion on whether they impact sound quality seems mixed from the research I've done, with some saying they flatten dynamics and loose detail.

Any views on 'chews? They should arrive tomorrow along with some Talk 3 speaker cable to replace my QED silvery stuff.

James

Comments

• Hi James,
    1) The impedance driving the attenuators.
    2) The load impedance
    3) The attenuators impedance in and out
    4) Capacitance
    5) Inductance
    All of the above will effect the sound, so more info please.
    The web site give basic info only.

Col
  • I shall watch with interest James, I considered attenuators as the Young's output is so hot - but I can set Audirvana+ to lose 6db digitally so same thing really.

I am very possibly going to try the Talk three cable, are you getting it from our own @Pac ? His RFC do a good price on it.
  • No Alan I didn't realise until I had already ordered the cable from somewhere else, otherwise Paul would have got my order.

If I use Audirvana the problem goes away because like you say the volume can be adjusted. However I am really liking the simplicity of streaming music direct from my NAS into my DAC via a CAT5 cable. I don't know if the PS Audio output is hot or if the amps are more sensitive. Last night I connected the PS Audio DAC to my Arcam multichannel power amp and I could comfortably listen with the volume set to 50, so I assume it's the Hypex modules that are more sensitive.

Col - I have no info on the Rothwell attenuators beyond what's on their website which as you've noticed isn't big on technical data (not that I'd understand it anyway).
  • edited June 2012
    Attenuators arrived today in a big swish presentation box (so that's why they are so expensive). They are plugged in at the amp end and they've done the trick - perhaps a bit too well. -15db might have been optimal but the times when I listen loud are few and far between. I have much more volume control available to me now and I'm over the attenuation level where I'm technically loosing data.
  • Sorry mate - I don't understand your last point - and would like to please!
  • Hi Alan. PS Audio state that below 50 on the volume scale the DAC is loosing bits and therefore potentially not sounding at its best.  They recommend using a value over 50 for normal listening.  I'm listening to it now at 55 which is a comfortable level.  Prior to adding the attenuators level 30 was too high.  
  • Gotcha Ta!