Tellurium Q Graphite Speaker Cables

edited June 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
This evening, I've been playing with Colin's top-of-the-range speaker cables.

Inevitably, you might say, I think they're more than a little bit good ;-)

I'll be posting more once I've got past the
:x B-) :O
stage

Comments

• Humpth! =:)

More seriously, I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
  • So??? 8-X
  • SWMBO says she likes them.
  • That good?! :O

• Invisibility?
  • That good?! :O

That good!
  • Invisibility?
    Nah. They're heavy black snakes. Thankfully, I get very little grief about my hi-fi.
  • edited June 2012
    Having had the Graphites for a few days, I've gone from feeling that they're great, but were way into the realm of diminishing returns, to they're really that good. A piece of the high-end that does deliver.

Let me put my cards on the table. I've never had anything cable-wise in my system that has even approached the nearly £1000 a metre these things retail at, so you'll need to look elsewhere to the 'real' reviews for those comparisons.

Over the past six months, I've tried the TQ Blacks, Greens, Ultra Blacks and now Graphites. Each is better than the one below it. And each does a similar bundle of things better.

With these cables, I've never felt that the basic things that my system does well have been upset. Simply enhanced, or at worst, left well alone. So we can forget about timing, rhythm and drive issues. They were right before the TQ cables and they continue to be.

The Graphites make everything sound 'right'. I think I said about the Ultra Blacks that they separated out each of the instruments and voices, yet somehow made the whole musical experience sound more of a whole. The Graphites do that as well, only more so.

I've been absolutely bowled over by the rasping of saxophones and brass instruments and the shape of bass lines. Singers are right there in front of me, as living, breathing entities. There's more going on from right at the top to the very bottom. No obvious emphasis (or de-emphasis) anywhere. Theirs is a big, bold, brassy presentation yet with real subtlety, depth and nuance.

The one downside is that my system mercilessly shows up clumsy editing and mixing, and presents lacklustre recordings as just that. I also had a worry that my Young DAC was being shown up as the (comparatively) cheap component that it is. I now think otherwise. If the recording's good, then everything just sings!

I'm sure a Weiss or something exotic would add something to the overall experience, but the Young hasn't been found wanting by the Graphites opening the window even further.

------
    Please note that I understand Richard Dunn at NVA says that using TQ cables with his amplifiers negates the warranty. If you're an NVA user, you'll have to make your choice as @Alan and I have had to do.

It's on your own amp, but all I can say is that after six months of use, mine have shown no sign of distress whatsoever. If you're an NVA user, maybe you need to ask some questions of @Brain_Dead here about his cables.

As far as I'm aware, no other amplifier design has these problems with TQ.
  • Things were certainly simpler and cheaper in the days of bell wire and multistrand! I suspect I shouldn't come and hear these cables, it looks dangerous.

Congratulations again Col, I know Dave and I share a lot in terms of what we like from a system.
  • It would be good hear the opinion of someone who has heard the system before.
  • Ha! No way, Jose! I don't have that kinda dosh! I might have to mug you and take them home.

Anyway, my amp might explode.
  • Come, on. You're building the mega-multi-amp version of our systems.

That may be even better still.
  • The TSS will probably be retired for a bit if the NVA/Frankenstein is as good as hoped. I can't afford to update it in the same way for a good while. To complicate matters there is speaker cable to consider, which as we know isnt cheap to start with, even worse when double runs are required.
  • edited June 2012
    I kind of like the simplicity of just one amp and then, perhaps, just on drive unit per channel and no crossover. That's where I'm going.

But I'd try the multi-amp version if I was in your shoes. Perhaps we can assemble enough speaker cable to try the multi-amp way, so you can see which way to go.
  • Maybe! I'm also eyeing a similar option in the future, but it's just a pipe dream at the moment.
  • Similar option to what? Sorry.
  • An amp per driver. Maybe active some day.
  • Sounds like you're going to have to mug @Jim, rather than me ;-)