BD dynamics

edited July 2012 in Digital
Was listening to the Hifi earlier when my boy came in and asked if he could watch 'Transformers' the movie. We have the film on bluray, and the only bdp we have is the TFS.
(Incidentally I think Tramsformers is a good film, not so the second one, and the third one so disgusted me that I couldn't finish watching it.)
We watched it on the flat screen tv that I use as a monitor for the NVA TFS. I asked the young 'un it he wanted to keep the sound on the main Hifi that i had just been listening to or to switch to the tv speakers. We discussed the issues of opting for hifi sq vs the more accurate direction provided by the tv speakers. Pleasingly, he went for the Hifi.
What I soon noticed was the very impressive sq of the soundtrack, especially the dynamic range on offer. Admittedly, single tracks such as the dialogue were compressed flat before the final mix down, but some of the effects (e.g. The cool transforming squeaks and bleeps and the battle explosions) were fantastically visceral, and this created an *overall* sonic experience that was often very pleasing.
Recent discussions here on compression have been interesting. I'm wondering how bd specs compare (I think transformers soundtrack stream that I selected today was 48/24).