YamahaRX-V771 custom or hacked firmware or SSH or other access?

edited July 2012 in Amplifiers
I just bought my first AV receiver amp, always preferred the minimalist approach to HiFi till now, but had to change due to various circumstances.

Now I have no need for a different or custom firmware, the built in seems good enough, but I was just interested to know if it has or is being done by hackers out there?
Google so far brought up little on it apart from news on Yamaha own firmware upgrades.

I am not trying to achieve any goal in particular just wanted to see if it had been done and what was being done

Comments

• I have very little experience of AV gear (well almost none actually), but if I had a question my first port of call would be a morning lurking and searching on AVforums.
  • edited July 2012
    Same here, never ventured in to AV before, only got the amp because it was in the shop at the same time I was  :-))

I clicked the forum link you gave me and it logged me straight it..must have been a forum I used before  :)
    No recollection of it though
  • You need to worry if shops do that too!

actually AVforums have completely changed their look/interface since I last visited. I must say I dont find the new site easy to us at all. :( I am sure there are still many knowledgeable and kind peeps on ther though. I hope you get an answer!
  • Hi Neil. My advice would be don't do it, especially if you don't have a goal in mind. One wrong line of code in your SSH session and it could be difficult to recover without a reset.
  • edited July 2012
    Fully see what you mean
    I had not planned to go in and randomly start doing stuff, but wanted to see what if any one had created any other firmware for it, and what other functions were available or being created.

Little things like being able to skip channels when rotating the front dial..so inputs that are not connected do not appear.

I have a limited number of components connected: Audio only: Mac, TV in and MD player, and two AV inputs, the Skybox and a DVD/HDD player.
    Having to scroll through all the unused inputs ..although not a hardship, is a pain. So to find some firmware that maybe allows this would be useful...unless it is in the current system and I have not found it yet.