Inca Tech Claymore Mods and Repair Thread

2»

Comments

• Umm
    Sounds like I'd need to take the amp apart to actually trace the tracks back which is a bit beyond what I am prepared to do until I need to do further work to mine.
    I will take the top off and see if I can see anything of use, but did you find the schematics that were posted?, maybe this thread or another somewhere else on here.

You should stand a chance of tracing back from there.

Where you interested in the Alps selector I have spare? I ordered one but ended up with two by mistake .
  • I'd need to see what I paid. Like to at least get my money back.

I'll open amp up in morning, it is at my fathers house at moment and can't go round there till a more reasonable time of day. Not sure where you are, but here it is about 2.30 in morning, and I can't sleep. Not sure my father would appreciate being woken so I can strip my amp

• Seem to remember it was neither. It was the very thin grey rubber like sheet . Not even sure of its name.

• Over the years, I have replaced that selector three times, not which is why I went for an Alps. As yet, I have not fitted either the Alps selector or volume pot yet.

In fact, now I think about it...... did I ever swap the FET's.... I know I was going to... maybe the amp is still apart. I got to a stage where I began to doubt my ability to set it up again correctly and was too fearful of screwing it up. I got to the stage of thinking about swapping the op-amps, fitting sockets for them etc, then pulled up short realising my abilities were not as advanced as my ideas.

I have had mine since new, bought in mid80's in Rayleigh HiFi in Chelmsford and don't want to kill it by tinkering with things I barely understand.

Soldering iron is now merely used for warming the tea. :).

I can't use the amp in my apartment, no space for a ' music' section The previous setup, when I last used it, (to allow TV, DVD, Sky box, CD, MD, Tape. Apple TV, and computer audio) was such a fearful collection of switching combos to get anything to route audio into the amp Aux input, that my partner could never get any sound when I was away from home. This has resulted in a big new shiny all in one self source selecting run of the mill surround sound amp that she can work when I am not home.
  • Used to fly in to Bristol frequently when I worked for BlueIslands airline Not so much now. Just spent 11 days In Exeter, got back to Jersey this evening.

I am seriously considering asking someone like Paul if he will do mine for me. I have the ability to remove and replace components, but not the knowledge to set it all up again on the scope when the.parts are fitted, I know my limits and I think I have reached mine.
  • Gggrrr bloody typo 's , it's been modified by Colin to a switchable pre amp to use with the Toca 20W
    Modified, it must have been a hell of a long time ago, Mark. The last one I saw was Ben's, which I was temped to hide and say it got lost in the post. But Ben has now securely hidden it at Suzy's house.   [..]
  • I bet if i opened it up, i'd find all the insides stripped out and replaced with the amp module of some 80s Sansui midi system...
    You bastard, Wonfor.
    ;-)
  • I bet if i opened it up, i'd find all the insides stripped out and replaced with the amp module of some 80s Sansui midi system...
    You bastard, Wonfor.
    ;-)
    No Ben Sinclair amps the best in the world, and used by all the best amp manufactures  >:)
    You bastard, Wonfor.
    ;-)
    No Ben Sinclair amps the best in the world, and used by all the best amp manufactures  >:)
    So that's how you upgraded it...
    ^:)^
  • Mark, there's a Claymore going on ebay at the mo with internal pics.
  • edited April 2014
    Ah. Of course.
    I feel uncomfortable about taking mine to bits.. :-/
  • That Inca Tech on eBay looks good, can it be serviced, repaired, improved with tweaks?
  • Yes. Mine has been.
    But I don't know how. :-/
  • Hi all. Feel so lucky to have discovered this site/thread. I have had a Claymore since around 1985. At the time I listened to a few amps but this was the jewel. Anyway fast forward 29 years and I have a problem with the rotary selector. I remember reading that this was a cmos switch but it seems that a standard rotary type can be used? Radio/aux and phono output is fine but CD gives a greater output to the left channel. If I switch to another source then the CD can be heard whether or not the other source is playing  I've swopped speakers and problem reverses so I don't think it's the speakers or the amp itself. 
    I find the volume has always been high in relation to the knob position - Click 3 or 4 seems to give as much as I am able to use when there are 40 clicks (with Tannoy mercury speakers which are quite efficient) Is there anyway to alter this?
    I'm still using a Linn Axix TT with K9 cartridge - soon being changed to a Grado black and a Micromega stage 1 from the same era 
  • Hi Ian

And welcome.

I'm sure @Colin (Colin Wonfor) or @Quickie (Paul Quick) will be along soon. Either or both will be able to help you out.